Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭scottser

Hypothetically of course, would the world be worse off if Israel, in its current guise and format, ceased to exist? One less hysterical, hateful, self-entitled nation hell-bent on genocide to worry about?

Clouds and silver linings, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you agree with Gamal Abdel Nasser (and Hamas) that Israel should cease to exist.

More infantilism, putting words in my mouth, things I didn't say and don't believe.

You're incredibly dishonest. What Israel considers 'their country' is often recognized as illegal:

Ceding territory that was never theirs to begin with, returning homes and land, is not 'destroying Israel.' Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭dmcdona

@Overheal

As regards settlements in the Occupied Territories, Israel is ignoring International Law and is committing (yet another) a war crime.

Israel is ignoring the ICJ - perhaps they will ignore the ICJ when it adjudicates on the Genocide case.

The International Court of Justice, in its advisory opinion, has since ruled that Israel is in breach of international law by establishing settlements in Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem. The Court maintains that Israel cannot rely on its right of self-defense or necessity to impose a regime that violates international law. The Court also ruled that Israel violates basic human rights by impeding liberty of movement and the inhabitants' right to work, health, education and an adequate standard of living. (2004)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

As we're arguing hypotheticals, I'd say the world is much better off with Israel than without it. The world would be much better off without, say, Russia, North Korea, Iran, ....

"Ceding territory that was never theirs to begin with, returning homes and land, is not 'destroying Israel.' Get a grip."

No, that's what happens once the territory is returned. Lots of prior art; do you think the Palestinians would change their behavior one iota if in the hypothetical situation of withdraw to the pre-1967 war boundaries? I think that's fatuous - what happened the *last time* they were there?

Israel exists because the UN created it in 1948. There were lots of motivations. Oberschall recommending a separation is an interesting idea.

• Advertisement

'We never should have let the Germans cede back to their original boundaries, they'd just go full Nazi again and won't change their behavior one iota'

Ditto for the Japanese.

I think you have some bad logic there. How many Palestinians are alive today who existed the "last time they were there?" Sins of the Father?

Uhh, no. The Germans were the aggressors, as were the Japanese, in WWII. Israel were not the aggressors in the 1967 war.

But, they were attacked by their neighbors and their Palestinian allies from the borders you now want Israel to return to. Why should repeating the same thing, generate a different behavior? And, do you think the Jordanians want the West Bank, chock-a-block with Palestinians, back? I don't think so. Nor does Egypt want Gaza back either, not like Israel hasn't offered.

The lede you're burying is that Israel have been the aggressors plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I could be wrong, you may only have been calling for a return to the 1967 borders, but no "right of return" for Arabs within the 1967 borders of Israel. If so, I apologise.

Both Germany (well, West Germany at least) and Japan had a transition to democracy that was carefully overseen by the US, UK etc. In particular, de-Nazification was a big thing in West Germany in the late 1940s and 1950s.

I note that the poster who got thread-banned for posting memes about Satanic Jews likes your post. Of course "hypothetically" you're talking about one less Jewish state (i.e. of the one that exists), presumably one more Arab-Muslim state (added to the dozens that already exist).

Considering that Jewish people have disproportionately contributed to mankind through innovation, threatening them en-masse sounds like a really bad idea.

For reference, Jews are disproportionate winners of Nobel prizes, and there are a long list of inventions credited to Israelis specifically or Jews generally. So, wiping Israel off the map and driving the Jews into the sea would not be a very good idea from the perspective of anyone who wants new innovations, scientific discoveries, inventions etc.

Haaretz updates (paywalled)

no confidence motion in the Netanyahu government passed with a majority of 18:0, but fell well short of the 61 votes needed to bring down the government. The motion cited "the failure of the Israeli government to return the 136 hostages held captive" by Hamas.

• Bezalel Smotrich said that the only way to free Israeli hostages held in Gaza by Hamas was to "dramatically increase the intensity of the war

• Itamar Ben-Gvir said that if the war ends, the government will collapse.

• According to reports in Gaza, strikes in Khan Yunis killed 50 people – including children – near a school in the city.

• The Palestinian Red Crescent said the IDF has surrounded its ambulance center in Khan Yunis

• The Gaza City municipality announced that a water treatment plant and buildings adjacent to it were flooded with sewage water as the result of airstrikes.

• The Hamas-controlled Gaza Health Ministry said a total of 25,925 Palestinians have been killed and 63,000 wounded since the war began.

• Hamas is willing to be flexible on conditions leading to a cease-fire.

• Josep Borrell said on Monday that the humanitarian situation in the Strip "could not be worse."

"The two vectors of pressure on Netanyahu – to make a call on the hostage agreement and the U.S. plan for Gaza – are becoming unbearable. And they are about to converge on him" - Anshel Pfeffer

• Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said that "Even if Hezbollah holds fire unilaterally, Israel will not stop fighting until it can guarantee the return of northern residents to their homes" and a different security situation on the border with Lebanon.

French Foreign Minister Stéphane Séjourné said he hopes the EU will impose sanctions on Israeli settlers committing acts of violence against Palestinians in the West Bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Innocent Palestinian children and adults are definitely not better off as a result of Israeli blood lust and genocidal behaviours.

How this improves the world, or even Israel’s standing in the world I’ll never know. How people can back this barbaric behaviour and not call Israel out for all its utterly disgusting murderous behaviour is equally as shocking.

In the long run, Israel will also be a huge loser in this war.

@SeanW

I note that the poster who got thread-banned for posting memes about Satanic Jews likes your post.

What's your point about this?

Considering that Jewish people have disproportionately contributed to mankind <snip>

Israel are currently contributing to mankind in a way that will stain them forever. And I say that without a hint of pleasure.

• Israel showing their true intentions on the world stage.

The EU should walk away from funding or supplying Israels occupation.

Trump won't be financing it either I wouldn't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Trump has supported Israel in the past in getting peace deals with Arab nations and in moving the embassy to Jerusalem. Biden has been proisraeli most of his career too so I don't think much will change whoever gets in next term. Biden has been shown to be very weak on the world stage during this crisis and I think has damaged his re election chances.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• I think Trump changed his tune when Netanyahu was one of the first to congratulate Biden.

I guess we will see.

Ah, Nobel, the inventor of dynamite. In that vein, Israeli creative efforts have brought some eye-watering advances in the surveillance, persecution and massacre of non-jews. Their capacity to kill should indeed earn them a prize of some sort..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭TokTik

How does destroying hospitals and colleges help defeat Hamas?? Answer on a postcard please

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Charming.

So, if there was no Israel the ME would be peaceful? Catch yourself on.

It would certainly be more peaceful than right now.

Ahh, so Nobel prizes are bad if they're awarded to Jews. Sad.

• Advertisement

Prior to the Hezbollah war? I don't think so.

Israel's not going back to the 1967 boundaries. Maybe there'll be a one-state solution, I don't really know. But until the hostages are freed, this war continues.

Continue? Nah - get much worse. The war cabinet has a vested interest in keeping it going even after that:

• Bezalel Smotrich said that the only way to free Israeli hostages held in Gaza by Hamas was to "dramatically increase the intensity of the war
    • Itamar Ben-Gvir said that if the war ends, the government will collapse.

What's sad is your attempt at rebuttal is a simple reductio ad absurdum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Israel were the aggressors in 67 though, they attacked the Egyptians first. It's a big reason why they were so successful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Would it really? The Houthis would still be fighting their civil war, with thousands of children starving. Iran and Afghanistan would still be as bad as they are. Lebanon might be slightly better, but that's a big maybe there. Syria would be no better than today. And considering how Hamas murdered its Fatah opponents, I wonder why on earth you think a Judenfrei Palestine - from the river to the sea - would be less murderous than today? There's really very little evidence that it would be more peaceful, and quite a lot of evidence that it probably wouldn't.

A Pause that they outright and abjectly refused to consider even for hours at a time just a couple months, a few leveled cities and 10 or 20 thousand dead Palestinians ago

I guess the international headwinds are getting too strong for them finally, very late.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

The settlements are illegal because they are on land not legally considered to be Israeli. The Israeli's can define their borders any way they want but the fact is these settlements are on land belong to another country called the Palestinian Territories. While Israel does have a right to exist so Palestinians have a right to a homeland free of Israeli interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The war ravaged Gaza and the West Bank long before the hostages were taken… the hostages being handed back won’t change Israel’s barbaric campaign.

Your inference that the war will be over if the hostages are given back is naive.

Maybe the war will end when Israel returns the tens of thousands of innocent Palestinians that it has murdered. Oh wait…

• Advertisement

The War Cabinet approved this 10 days ago (according to the report).

10 days ago, IDF say they were "winding down" operations to a new "phase". But they then ramped up the attacks. Yesterday was apparently the worst loss of life in Gaza since the start of the campaign.

In impartial observer might say they threw everything at Gaza knowing this could be on the way... The war cabinet is untrustworthy.

This was reported by Haaretz today:

PM Netanyahu met with family members of hostages held in Gaza and told them: "There is no real [cease-fire/hostage release] proposal from Hamas - it's not true," adding that Israel itself has "an initiative" he could not elaborate on. Yesterday, Netanyahu publicly acknowledged there was such a proposal but he had rejected it as "capitulation" to Hamas

If this goes ahead, the only reason would be appear to be International horror and subsequent pressure. But it would be a welcome pause.

Advertisement