Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Ok I based it off senan moloneys interview yesterday quoted below

Guess he's only a journo its not a transcript of the interview. I'd like to see that clarified though either way

"Then I asked: “What about the scratches, Ian?”

He said he had told the guards when under arrest that he had a sidebar selling Christmas trees, and got them from lopping them down. I can still see his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish when I protested: “Who the hell buys a Christmas tree on the 23rd of December? They’ve already got them up."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You can't say for sure he was innocent, the reality is we will probably never know if he killed her or not.

Agreed a quote from a previous post of mine

Basically I see bailey as likely guilty based on what we know

The inadmissible (?) witness evidence means it can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt

"The evidence against bailey, basically everything contained in the Maloney article today isn't enough to convict but points to his guilt

The gardai concoct the additional witness evidence needed to secure a prosecution and likely conviction"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If anything the gardai and DPP were too light on Bailey as he and his partner initially provided a false alibi that he was at home in bed all night. This is a criminal offence which can lead to a suspended sentence in some cases.

Post edited by tobefrank321 on

Ya very mysterious goings on with the alibi

Then the alibi is stretching credulity

Gets up and goes to an outbuilding after a drinking session on Sunday to write a newspaper article for the following Sundays paper

In addition the confessions are too easily dismissed as joking

If I recall correctly Aaron Brady's drunken confessions were heavily relied upon to convict him

Not to mention initially he made no reference to turkeys in interview only the trees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

This is what I don’t get from people. Most people admit that there isn’t enough evidence to convict Bailey but how people are adamant he didn’t do it is just madness to me. He was rightly a suspect. Due to a number of factors ,his location, knowing where she lived , very suspicious alibi, previous violence, the scratches on him afterwards. Oh and since then he confessed to doing it.

Also the fact that the eyewitness evidence is false, conconted or coerced , whatever happened there ?

The above statement can coexist with a reasoning that Bailey is chief suspect and likely guilty

Posters are illogicaly claiming that Bailey isnt a suspect due to the eyewitness evidence being corruptly obtained

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Yeah I'm sure he had vibes. Interesting tonight on 9 o clock News a man from the Bantry area was interviewed and he said most people from the area of Schull believe Bailey was an innocent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

When the guards started creating evidence it damaged the credibility of their case.

Maybe they genuinely believed he did it and just wanted to have evidence to help back that up, maybe it was more cynical than that.

I can see that changing

New information being published going forward some of it leaked

Have to assume revenge is a factor here for the gardai and press

• Advertisement

Yeah but then he did confess so there is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

When you say poor investigation methods ,are you talking about possible contamination of the crime scene. I could understand in that scenario how no physical evidence was left behind by the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭batman75

Ian Bailey, whatever your opinions on him, was entitled to be considered an innocent man. Instead his name has been constantly brought up as the key suspect in the murder of Sophie Toscan De Plantier. He has died with this cloud over his head. Surely you are entitled to be innocent until proven guilty. He wasn't proven guilty.

It is true that he appears to have been violent towards his former partner Jules Thomas. She has now says, if what she says is true, feels nothing about his demise. 66 is not old and to have this cloud hanging over him for just over 27 years was very unfair. Even if he did engage in domestic violence. I don't know whether his being English played any part in how the Gardai dealt with him.

Either way he had just cause to feel very sore towards the Irish state for how it treated him. The family of Ms De Plantier has cause to feel sore that her killer was never apprehended and unlikely to be at this stage. A tragic and sorry tale in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was one man, pretty sure a woman on the six o clock hinted at the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

The locals in West Cork know the craic. For over 30 years they had the sight of vans going down to secluded bays and beaches in the dead of repeated winters nights, vans meeting boats that were offloading product. When the locals complained to the Gardai about this activity, they were basically told to f**k off and to shut the F**k up. Don't take my word for it, the Irish Times did a report about it back in the mid 2000's when it was still a half functioning investigative newspaper.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

The Garda investigation was so incompetent that if u were one of their own and involved in the murder you’d be delighted………

He brought his own name up constantly , loved it. Anyway I’d never feel in anyway sorry for someone who violently beat his partner , maybe this was his punishment. The Irish state kept him from 25 years in French prison btw. And finally , he confessed.

One crime doesn't make you guilty of another nor does it negate your right to innocence until proven guilty. As for his loving the attention and his confessions, clearly he may not have been rightly psychologically. To be accused of murder is a traumatic and seismic experience. It could cause any of us to deviate from our normal behavioural patterns. Is it possible his violence against his former partner was derived from a hatred against women given he was accused of murdering one? We don't know we can only speculate.

Whilst explaining why he might have been violent towards his former partner I'm not excusing it. As a man I would never condone raising a hand towards a woman unless she's coming at you violently herself then you have the right to restrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Are you saying Sophie TDP witnessed this and was killed for this reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I don't have much empathy for Ian Bailey cos of the domestic abuse, but the whole story is tragic.

Particularly the young boy growing up without his amazing mother, how he's fought for justice but will probably never get closure.

Particularly also for Sophie who died in the most gruesome way possible.

• Advertisement

Clearly his confession was not deemed legally credible. If anything that makes the state's case against him weaker if having confessed they still couldn't legally convict him.

I wouldn’t disregard multiple confessions whatsoever. It wasn’t legally credible because he took them back. Said he was joking. Nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

I'm saying that the Gardai that were based around the West Cork area from 1990 onwards to the accidental cocaine sesuire in 2004 were wholly corrupt. That's what I'm saying, that's what the Irish Times said too. That locals who were complaining to the local "guardians of the peace", about vans meeting boats in secluded West Cork shorelines in the dead of winter, they were told by said guardians that nothing was going on and there was no need to investigate. When there clearly was.

Your theory could be right too. I mean, who the f**k knows at this stage, the supreme levels this country has gone down the corrupt f**king toilet

Post edited by buried on

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

He stated in interview very early on that he was the chief suspect

You can argue it was merely repeating his assertion

Assuming you haven't been accused of murder. Nor have I. We don't know with any certainty how we would act if were accused. It may have caused him to be psychologically damaged or he may have been already. Either way the state's case against him wasn't strong enough to get a conviction and like any of us he was entitled to be considered innocent until proven guilty. He had no less right to that than you and I no matter how we view his behaviour.

Ah your being pedantic as balls. If I was chief suspect in a murder i wouldn’t confess ffs. Couldn’t be arsed conversing more.

I could be the chief suspect and could state that I realise this to be so in any misdemeanour but it doesn't imply automatic guilt. Guilt must be proven and the state failed to do so.

Correct

A label of chief suspect isn't proof of guilt

Doesn't even imply likely guilty, in itself

• Advertisement

It's not being pedantic. It's being realistic. You have made arguments and when challenged ran for the hills. Have a pleasant evening.

Advertisement