Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Luckily we had bundles of thermal plant in waiting. I wonder how close we got to seeing the TEG come on? 3GW is some shortfall in generation. You'd have to feel for Eirgrid's NCC staff having to plan for 5GW of wind and replan for 2GW with little certainty until real time. Not a peep out of WEI or it's bots apologising for their shortcomings but wait till the next breezy night when demand is low and they'll hailing their successes.

So, there's a draft Offshore policy as of today.

Eamon and Co have doubled down on their 37GW by 2050. A 54 page policy you say, surely it must reason out the techno economic benefits for the consumers in arriving at that figure? Nope. The word "cost" features 10 times in the document, usually coupled with "effective" or "competitive" but not a single price is present. Apparently magic interconnectors we don't have (and come at €1.5 billion per 700MW themselves) and copious amounts of green hydrogen (which itself is incredulously expensive) is the solution. Magic beans indeed.

https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/747c7-consultation-on-the-offshore-renewable-energy-ore-future-framework-policy-statement/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I could actually see the rational behind the offshore hydrogen plan of 50% generation for consumpion and 50% for hyrogen generation for when for extended periods it`s not windy out. Or even when it`s too windy out as we saw from wind generation yesterday. Problem was the rational bit the dust when it came to the overall financial cost plus a hopium of hydrogen working to scale.

Now even that tenuous rational has gone out the window. Eirgrid are prediction consumption by 2050 to be 14 GW. 37 GW of offshore under the wind hydrogen plan will only provide 7.2 GW. Half of what will be required, even when it is windy out. Still no costing but rather a hypothetical exercise into how much we can make from the sales of excess offshore wind or hydrogen neither of which we will have from 37 GW.

It`s insanity.

Not much better in the car rental business.

Hertz selling off 20,000 of their EVs and replacing them with ICE vehicles.

• Advertisement

Hertz business model like Ryanair is wash, gas, go. While the car is sitting in the lot being charged or battery draining away, it's not making money. Tesla battery warranty is 100,000 miles or number of years which ever comes first, that's all very well if you have an EV that is used for short journeys, however, Hertz and their customers will be running these through rapid chargers (time is money) and the mileage will be significantly higher, therefore Hertz need to get rid of EVs before they incur a even greater liability due to battery replacement. Damage expenses with EVs are higher than ICE vehicles.

Another factor to consider, Hertz operates at airports, most people are flying into an area, hiring a car, getting on with their tasks and flying out. How much time do they want to spend hunting around for functioning rapid charging stations that do not have a queue, their time is constrained. That tempers the demand for EVs among customers somewhat. That's $35 charge for Hertz to recharge with an extra $25 added on if you return it with the battery charge below 10%.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

a few days ago i was out shopping and seen 2 massive RVMs (giant machines that will recycle bottles for re-turn drs scheme starting February 1st) inside of a big supermarket franchise the other day, and both was left powered on with a green lights inside, and 2 touch screen looking digital screens that said something like "currently not in use, please come back February 1st" and a big giant red X. No idea why they was even left on if they're not even gonna be in use till atleast another 2 weeks.

If anything i'm guessing these big business don't care about wasting electric per say, because they probably have a bill that comes in where they pay a set amount per month, usually always the same set amount regardless of usage. Business pay electric costs differently than domestic home users which is weird.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Alot of air pollution, energy wasting and environmental waste also comes down to big business part they play. Some of them may opt for cheaper packaging (i believe for PR reasons and to make it look like they care but really its just because it costs less) but with this electric example, and other things like manufacturing, do they really care?

Aslong as they pay their "green tax" they can continue polluting. Essentially its profiting off of their pollution, by taxing it. Some intentionally choose to pay this tax instead of refusing to pollute, because more money (what they really care about).

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

In fairness I'm not a major fan of this scheme but I would think that the impact of the electricity consumed by these yokes is pretty insignificant when you look around at all the electrical appliances stuffed into retail outlets these days

Cool, its nice to know they don't consume much at all. its a relief, but still every little helps and they should be doing their part to help.

Why should big business get away with wasting electric, while domestic consumers are forced to consider not wasting it. Seems imbalenced and unfair. it's bribery in a way, aslong as they pay green tax moneys they can continue to get away with destroyed the earth and environment in other ways. (and with wasting electric too)

Keeping 2 large machine turned on powered up for 2 whole weeks prior to feb 1st is still a waste, look at the grand scheme of things and add up all that power than all these places doing the same thing. Its little to no power consumption, but add all that little bits up for a days worth and multiply it by x14, and then multiple that result for each place that has an rvm at the moment. Assuming they're all powered up, i think someone said there was 1400 RVMs in ireland at the moment, i'm hoping i am wrong on that, because otherwise, assuming they're all powered up, or even half of them, thats like 14x1400, or 14x700, = alot of electric overall in total wasted, maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Did anyone notice they wheeled out George Lee on RTE news after the storm the other day to somehow, in some way, connect these mid-January storms to climate change. Even George in the full headlights of the studio had to admit there's no link. So what the he*k was he doing there exactly and who made the editorial decision to shoehorn him in.

Who knows.

RTE mindful of who the Minister controlling their purse strings is may have noticed they had fallen below their usual weekly mention of climate change during the news broadcasts. Or they believe the amount of time George spends on air regurgitating press releases from greenies and their friendly NGOs justifies his large salary.

I didn`t see it myself, but either way it sounds like a waste of money and airtime.

Ticks a number of boxes.

There is a course available to journalists to learn how to write climate cringe, Maybe RTE can send George Lee. It's delivered by Reuters, underwritten by green billionaire foundations, it's called the Oxford Climate Journalism Network (OCJN). Several journalists based out of Ireland are members of the network. Cáit Caden, Irish examiner; Niall Sargent, Noteworthy / Journal Media; Philip Bromwell, RTE News; Glenn Mason, RTÉ News; Margaret Donnell, Farming Editor at the Irish Independent; Kevin Doyle, Group Head of News with the Irish Independent; Rory Tevlin, Irish Independent; Nessa Tierney, BBC World Service - Ireland.

It would appear that the aim of the OCJN is to insert constant fearmongering messages into media stories, as the politicians, associated grifters and billionaires push ahead with the Net Zero political agenda.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

It seems that Entso-E aren't afraid to put the costs in their reports (at least for the transmission infrastructure). The new ONDP is out now. You'll have to read a couple of the reports to evaluate the Irish proposition and of course remember that the capital costs of the wind farms themselves aren't included, nor are the costs of guaranteed prices for every 1 MW they can produce.

https://www.entsoe.eu/outlooks/offshore-hub/tyndp-ondp/#reports

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭PommieBast

If it is in some sort of maintenance mode the cost of the technician callout to flip the main breaker switch is likley way more than the electricity it is using.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There was discussions here around GWP variants. I wasn't aware that even if the existing GWP in use was found to be complete bull, we couldn't change to a better metric due to being legally obliged to use the incumbent until 2030. Mad stuff.

A nice peer reviewed paper on livestock emissions here - https://www.scienceopen.com/hosted-document?doi=10.15212/ijafr-2023-0107

Methane is a GHG and livestock is a significant source. Countries with a focus on pastoral ruminant production such as Ireland should therefore try to reduce CH4 emissions, to play their part in holding the increase in the global average temperature below 2°C above pre-industrial levels. However, using the conventional GWP metric to assess the warming effects of SLCPs such as CH4 may not accurately describe the warming effect, thus confounding climate mitigation policy efforts. Ireland has been given a target reduction of 30% below 2005 levels by 2030 by the EU, but the results calculated using the GWP* metric in this paper indicate that a reduction of this scale may not be necessary to achieve a 30% reduction in warming, as CH4 emissions from Irish livestock have not been consistently increasing since 1961: rather they have increased and decreased in response to societal and policy changes as well as market forces. A modest reduction of 1% per year for an initial 10 yrs and then no change until 2050 for all Irish livestock was calculated here to remove 38,753 kt CO2e for this time period. This implies that significant reductions in warming associated with CH4 emissions can be mitigated with marginal reductions in the rate of emission.

To accurately assess the warming effects of CH4 from livestock, one must account for the historical and projected effects of the changing annual rate of emission – which can be done using GWP*. Mitigation measures combined with more accurate emission assessments provided by GWP* may help Irish farmers to account for the warming associated with CH4 emissions without compromising on productivity and profitability. The overall contribution of Irish livestock to global warming is non-significant, given how small it is in comparison to emissions from larger countries with large animal populations, particularly those which have been increasing for decades, for example, Brazil or India. But if Ireland can demonstrate how CH4 emissions can be mitigated and more accurately accounted for, then more significant emitters may be more inclined to follow suit.

Ag being screwed. Hopes to cull 200k cattle to reduce emissions that haven't risen in over 60 years!

It would be interesting to see the green supporters take on that.

Should we follow the science as they keep insisting or stick with the ideology.

Seems we're legally stuck with the accounting balls up for another 6 years. Whether by then there's a change or not is too early to tell. Ya'd hope over the next few years much more accurate data will be collected across the board, and better more accurate models in use to try predict the impossible.

The thing that amazes me is that we can't predict weather with any accuracy beyond 120hrs, yet we're to believe predictions for 10,20,50,100 years time

Probably **** a brick myself. Surely there's some major negatives to that craic

Dodgy accountancy is increasingly looking as being used to drive an agenda. When the law is an ass the sensible thing to do is to ignore it.

If we were challenged on it then from this report the E.U. wouldn`t have a leg to stand on. We could even make a good case that methane from cattle is as much, if not more, part of a carbon cycle than wood burning which is recognised as being carbon neutral.

I would be happy living in the west of Ireland if we had a forecast that could predict weather for 48hrs. let alone 120hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You are focused on big businesses but while that may contribute to waste it pale in comparison with a waste which is going on in public service sector. I did a short stint as a security and few times I was sent to a government offices. I wont say which department as it does not matter they are all the same anyway.

So I am walking all night in this big building and huge tele-sales type of offices and not only that there was light on all night everywhere, I noticed about hundred computers on. I was thinking why on earth personal workstations needs to be turned on 24 hours when they are in use just for like 8 hours a day. These were not servers just simple workstation computers.

Next morning I mentioned that to some boss over there and asked if they can not be turned off for the night as that may save some power. She looked at me as if I came from another planet and she said that under no circumstances can they be turned off because staff needs to log in in the morning when they come as that is their clock in system. Oh and by the way she did not like me talking about wasting power so she asked my manager to send someone else instead.

These are the people who then go around and preach environmental stuff and tell you about what you should do to save the planet.

Post edited by patnor1011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I would say they need to be on as there must be some testing going on before roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

George out with another magnificent piece of world class journalism. The highlight for me was mentioning that sea levels may increase over the next 2000 years. That is what your licence fee is going towards.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Exactly, well said! i been preaching the same kind of stuff in the new recycling scheme thread and been called delusional and a liar for it.

Things like "Green Tax" give companies the green light to keep polluting the earth and wasting electric as long as the government get their cut of the money.

Fines in general are like "ah thats fine aslong as you have the money to pay for it you can do it and get away with it, aslong as you can afford it" and doesnt actually stop the behavior. All this stuff can be summed up as "you can continue doing this aslong as you pay us, aslong as we make money from you doing it, its all good". they don't work and people are only profitting from the problem via the tax/fine instead of actually doing anything about it.

the green stuff being paraded around by businesses is usually a PR stunt, pandering for profit, or virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

attempting to point out how the buisnuess side of "green echo friendly" is kinda shady and not genuinely ever in best interests or concerns of the environment and usually their participation is PR stunt at best.

You get the same lark and kind of carry on all the time in businuess where they pretend to be pro-green or pro whatever for PR reasons, but then their actions show they're just doing this to pander to people who are into that sort of thing, and to look good in their eyes. you even get it mentioned as a selling point on things like dragons den.

Business Example: less materials on/for packaging = pro green and better for environment. real reason = because its cheaper or more profit made from it. And appeals to people into that sort of thing.

this shows more that its really pro buisnuess and pro money over being pro-green.

Advertisement