Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspection Camera

Options
  • 22-01-2024 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Trying to determine if there is any insulation in my sunroom ceiling. Room gets very cold, much quicker than rest of house. I know walls are well insulated, but can’t be sure of ceiling.

rather than having to create a human sized opening, is there a small camera on a cable that I can push up there to tell?

or is there a better simpler way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Biker1

When was the house built and is it a vaulted ceiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can get IR cameras from your library. Check the roof from the inside and upstairs window.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it’s a once off like that I’d be getting something cheap on Amazon rather than spending on a high end model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The thermometers arent really great. Thats what the library do. They dont do thermal image cameras.

Theres a guy on donedeal will rent you a thermal image camera for 50 a week. Its the only way to get a proper idea of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭bamayang

Thanks for all replies.

house was built in 08 and was well specc’d. 100mm insulation as well as 50mm insulated slab on external walls.

Ceiling of sunroom is A Frame, but dropped ceiling in it. Rest of house holds heat really well, but this room never warm enough. Put in an elec heater and it gets up to temp, but doesn’t hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• What insulation was spec’d for the sunroom roof?
    • Assuming the walls are largely glazed, what is the glazing thermal performance like?
    • How is the space heated (other than the elec heater)

Bear in mind that even if those items are as high spec as the rest of the house. It would still be expected to perform not as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭bamayang

There is one large long window in the room, but it’s not a crazy amount of glass. Other 2 external walls are prob 10-20% glass.

for heating, it’s 2 radiators on the heat pump. Recently got a BER done and the guy doing it didn’t think the room was under powered for radiators.

Not sure what spec was on ceiling, I didn’t build the house. hence why I want to get a camera and see if it is missing sufficient insulation.

Is there something I could get pumped up there from below to fill the cavity with foam or beads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You could have the walls dry lined. Or pumped depending on the construction type. That might not solve your problem though. An air tightness test or the thermal imaging camera would be my route before spending money on solutions.

Do you get condensation on the windows in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What you want is a bargain basement endoscope like this

I have one from aliexpress from a few years ago works a treat for looking at hard spots in the car engine. Use phone as screen keep costs down. All your looking to do here is look behind the wall with a light. Don't spend big. Drill hole throw this in get answer.

You'll use it for some other stuff down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Check the main wall of the house that the sunroof butts up to.

I've often found this to be incorrectly detailed if the cavity wall runs through there.

Wall should ideally to turned to solid fir the internal portion between house and sunroof or cavity completely sealed from rest of cavity or a full fill insulation used in that section.

Too often the cavity is completely open, cold air outside the cavity insulation for main part of house becomes cold air against internal wall of sunroof resulting in cold cold room.

Post edited by mickdw on

• Advertisement
Advertisement