Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Good answer dealing with the facts. Happened right in front of me & the intake of breath from the crowd around said it all…if lads dive the reaction is far different. You can even see it on the video. You can spoof if you want, I’ve no dog in the row

Also have no idea what ‘he played on the player yesterday had to be replaced due to injury’ means. Yesterday? If you’re suggesting he would have needed to go off to prove he was struck, then that’s stupid. Tommy Walsh didn’t have to go off after being struck by Dunne. Still a dirty blow & sending off too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

not from kk but comparing what benny dunne(who was not a dirty player) did by hitting t walsh full force into the face with the hurl and what r hogan (not a dirty player) did is ridiculous.... hogan clipped barrett with his elbow. it was quite clearly not intentional... he could have really creamed him with a proper elbow if he wanted to... t walsh to his credit got up straight back up and got on with it... barrett stayed down like hed been shot... hasnt done barrett any favours since.. especially the time of aaron gillane incident in 2021 munster final in supervalu park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Lads, I've saw the chatter about John Walsh for years on this forum. Year after year he is consistently racking up big scores in the county championship.

In the All Ireland Minor Final in 2014 he lit up Croke Park. Scored 2-5 and against who? Limerick! Motm also. Look at the Limerick names who played that day and look at the Kilkenny names. Complete 360 since then.

Any county that had an 'electric' Minor such as Walsh would have handled him with care. Kilkenny didn't. Even though he still had U21 why not fast track such a talent. Clearly a flair player with an eye for goal. Maybe the flair was why he wasn't wanted by the BOSS. Look at it this way, Kilkennys last All Ireland Senior win was 2015, a year after that Minor. Why not get him in after that at 19/20 and actually give him the same timeframe on the panel as others have got since and before. If you're good enough you're old enough.

Lads can crib all they want about Walsh and say he's not good enough and all this but at the end of the day , are some players that have been starting and on the panel since any better? Not a chance!

Now I'm not saying one swallow makes a summer but minding that swallow until he's ready to fly is the key. That's what Kilkenny have failed to do over the years since the heights of the 00s. Too caught up on the best team of all as we were rightly called then. But now there's a new best team of all and its not us. That's sport lads, one county nurtured groups of talent and one didn't. Will Limerick end up like us as victims of their own success like us ? I highly doubt it.

Just my opinion and if you don't like it I'm sure you'll let me know. Inter county is a professional game now and some lads can't be hanging around putting off life for a chance that under certain management will/was never going to come. Amateur players playing a professional game is where Kilkenny is at right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

John Walsh did his cruciate or had a similar long term injury when he came out of minor. He had a couple of years at U21 where he was struggling with other minor injuries after that major injury. He was on the panel and probably even played in that U21 disaster against Limerick in Thurles.

Started corner forward. We scored 4 points from play. Anyone who was at that game will remember it as a total shitshow

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Huw is not superman, Paddy Deegan was leaving acres of space in front of Huw the whole game and Huw done what he could.

Paddy is a great hurler but he must be a nightmare for his own full back line with the space he leaves in front of them with his attack minded play.

He would be the polar opposite of how Declan Hannon plays no. 6 for Limerick.

It can only be midfield of wing forward for Paddy this year.

Agreed. If we see him in the backs we may throw in the towel. It would be well worth trying him in the forwards where he'd cause consternation for opposing backs as they wouldn't know where he'd turn up next. He has some heart and drive but not a back.

He would give Byrnes or Hayes (presuming he is available) plenty to think about on the wings and Deegan is as strong as a bullock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

The problem is he has no pace at all. He was trying to solo the ball Sunday and the game looked in slow motion when he does. It was a very selfish display from Deegan Sunday. Seemed all about himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jamesbond2022

He had 1 and a half good games at minor and didn’t make the cut numerous times on senior panels time to move on he’s not the answer to kk problems and was never going to be lads need to get over it on here

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Whatever about his pace, not sure how you can describe his display as selfish. He looked to me as if he was taking responsibility as a senior player and trying to make things happen. Sure it often didn't work out but OLG were struggling up front in the second half and he appeared to try to address that at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Yea I'm not having the selfish comments on Deegan at all. I never think he plays selfish. And he's not slow. A lot of the time when he's soloing the ball it's uncontested from his own half and he has the head up looking to deliver a ball. His deliveries are suspect but slow and selfish, nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

By what measurement was John Walsh top scorer in the championship last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

The quality of ball he was delivering was terrible(mostly missed hit shot attempts), he only seemed interested in shooting, or passing and trying to receive the ball back to shoot again. He consistently got turned over, miss hit ball and caught in possession in the second half, he found himself in the half forward lines at times and left an ocean of space behind him. Fogarty and Molloy were doing that excellently in the first half, working the ball up and hitting pockets of space then running into positions for returns and getting shots off. Deegan needed to keep it tight in the second half and let the 2 wing backs do what they were doing imo, attacking up the wings and creating space. Hogan even acknowledged that after the match.

Post edited by Village87 on

Disappointed with their management team that none could apparently stop the rot. Too late acknowledging it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

When asked in court yesterday how many hours training Kyle Hayes would do per week, John Kiely told the judge, 30. Scary!

Add in another 10-15 for travel and matches etc, how can anyone hope to hold down a full time job and/or family commitments if 40-45 hours is the requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

“Clipped”?? Ho ho ho you’ve been at the synonyms. Bit like “the head movement into an opponent” used here earlier. 

I’m not from kk or Tipp and I didn’t compare the incidents. If you read correctly what I compared were the responses re proof of injury. Comparing times down is just silly. Hogan lined him up to do him…right in front of me. If you watch it you’ll do some justifying to explain why he went in elbow face high. 

Referencing why Gillane wasn’t sent off to 2019 is off the wall. That linesman is a Cork ref & a complete flute. The list of his stupid decisions is lengthy indeed. No whinging about it afterwards from Barrett either. Time out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wish discussion of the 2019 Richie Hogan Final red card was banned in this thread. It's always incredibly tedious and never goes anywhere as no-one will change their views on it now.

(In case anyone asks, to me it was a red card, it was such a reckless tackle to make in an All-Ireland Final.)

Congratulations to Kilkenny CBS and St Kierans College - both winning their college semi finals today. An all Kilkenny Leinster Final with the loser still in the All Ireland series.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Ye grats two good results alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Hayes would give Deegan a torrid time. He'd be taken off him. He might do better on Byrnes but then Mullin has never done well on Byrnes and he's a better player than Paddy.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Absolutely congratulations to the 2 Kilkenny sides but what's going on in the rest of Leinster. Schools hurling is a wasteland in Dublin again and Wexford barely has a pulse. Like the Harty ..is unbelievable for vibrancy and teams. I won't go on about it because I ll 'trigger' ye with talk of Harty hurling .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The Ballyhale forwards are carrying that Kilkenny team, sure in the semi final v Clare last year they more or less scored everything.

Who really is there to stop Limerick doing the 5 in a row when you think of it.

They won the semi final and final last year pulling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Does the business every year for the Vegas and be interesting to tally up the scoring charts for the last 10 years and see where he is.

One and half Good games at Minor is still one and half good games more than certain panelists.

Yes the day is gone for him now. But let's hope the next talent doesn't slip through the cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

It's a shame that Wex schools arent competitive, but Dublin schools, bar Colaiste Eoin (a great dual school that deserve huge credit), have never been strong (same in football, Dublin havent had a winner of AI schools in 45 years).

I wonder would the Galway schools consider coming in? They now have at least 5 schools that are strong.

The Harty is a great competition but only two Harty winners in the last 15 years have gone on to win AI, so for me, the excitement and vibrancy of it can mask the quality a bit.

Kilkenny schools at all levels are performing brilliantly, and along with the huge success of the clubs, a reminder that Kilkenny hurling is still in good nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

3 of the last 4 Croke Cup have been Kierans v Athenry, you don't trigger anyone you just talk shite now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

'hogan lined him up to do him'... what a statement about one of the cleanest hurlers i ever saw... sure pat horgan who was sent off in 2013 munster final for connecting with the back of a limerick man with his hurl was also clearly trying to decapitate the Limerick player so he deserved to be sent off.. prob should have been banned for life as well....

any hurling person knows full well that what richie hogan or pat horgan did were not in any way intentional... i'll say no more

Advertisement