Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flat roof renewal: Pvc or rubber material

• 07-05-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi

not sure if this is the correct forum but anyways.
    I am replacing a flat roof on the garage section of the house and I have received 2 quotes which are about the same price. One contractor uses Braas pvc type material while the other uses EDPM rubber which i have been told last up to 20years.
    Anyone have any experience of these types and possible pros/cons of each as im not sure which is best?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd definitely go with EDPM rubber. Have used it for ponds and is totally superior to PVC. PVC is very prone to splitting when cold after a few years.

Also, should it be necessary, EDPM is easier to patch.

I am surprised that the prices are similar - I would expect EDPM to be much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Seoighe

did you do this job yet? which one did you go with? im doing a flat roof and balcony in the next couple of months :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

blackbox wrote: »
    I'd definitely go with EDPM rubber. Have used it for ponds and is totally superior to PVC. PVC is very prone to splitting when cold after a few years.

Also, should it be necessary, EDPM is easier to patch.

I am surprised that the prices are similar - I would expect EDPM to be much more expensive.

the pvc you've been quoted for is cheap and cheerful and may cause you problems in a few years (the pvc membrane does not split with the cold weather - pvc membranes are fitted and working perfectly in harsh weather climates, most of the pvc's can accomodate temps of -30 to-40 degrees C), the epdm, while a good product is not really suitable for flat roof applications, can cause porblems in later years

asphalt, ruberoid or paralon built-up felt systems, single-ply pvc (sarnafil, protan or armourplan) all these products have IAB certification and have full insurance backed warranties/guarantees and are building regs complient and have a life expectancy of in excess of 30 years - enough to satisfy the DOE, whereas the products that you propose using could result in difficulties if you are selling your property at a later stage

the cost for the above alternatives are similar for domestic buildings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭shane b

Hi
    I went for the pvc because after searching the net there was more positive feedback towards the pvc than the rubber. Also from the contractors I talked to the rubber seems to used for larger areas.
    Contractor is due to start job next week so well see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Did you look into Fiber Glass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TimberMerchant

Hi all,

I have a balcony and i need to seal it up. Currently i have a slab and 4 inch screed poured on top. What are the best options?
    I am told that ashphalt can crack. Im trying to look into fibre glass but nearest contractor is in Cork (I am in limerick)
    Any advice on best option of sealing this area? The area is roughly 70sq ft

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 xman33

Hi Shane, i know it's a bit old thread. Could i ask how is your experience with PVC after these many years? i am facing the same decesion point as you were now. thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭shane b

I havent had issues with the roof section since it was done in 2009.

I will say though that the top cover/layer feels a bit thin and I do be wary of puncturing it. The area rarely gets any foot fall other than the 2 or 3 times a year to clear the gutter or gulley. If have to use a ladder to say paint the gable ive used a plank of timber in case the feet puncture the pvc.

Maybe thats me being paranoid though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Well done on responding on a 15 year old thread! 😁 Proves why other forums are wrong to close off topics after a number of months.

Advertisement