Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He is a nutritionist, he needs to post videos of him making food, giving tips, plans etc his social stuff is very focussed on instagram. I get what he is doing. I just don't think the entire design of most of the key areas of an expensive house refurb should be based on him taking videos, what his wife needed or wanted didnt really seem to come into it to much of a degree, despite her being the main bread winner.

That is my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

That's it exactly. It's about getting people talking about it and ultimately viewer numbers. If they did more modest homes and less drama with budgets they wouldn't get the same viewership. People want to see a bit of wow factor even if they can't afford it themselves.

Same with people still complaining about glass boxes even after 15 seasons. He ain't gonna change to doing cottage extensions with small windows. The clients generally don't want that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

So being the breadwinner dictates you more of a voice in the house, regardless of what you need for your job?

Maybe all she needs is a simple desk to WFH whereas he needs a big kitchen and a bigger office as he will be stuck in it for 8-10 hours a day, 6 days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The roles are reversed quite often and not much is ever really made of the wife having biggest say in the design.

I also think she seemed happy with the design in the end.

Wasn't a fan of him at all but can't see an issue in him pushing for what he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No, I only really mentioned the breadwinner thing as it was explicitly discussed in the show. The house setup before felt more setup for his job, dedicated office, a peninsula that made the dishwasher unusable. While his wife shared a cold space that was a playroom.

After the refurb the kitchen was tailored to his needs and his aesthetic (coffee shop) was important, they brought in things from his family home, they went with a far more expensive home office option for him, while he was gasping at other relatively small but necessary costs in the main house (that felt a bit performative tbh).

A solicitor in my experience will on average work more hours than that. I was with one for 9 years.

Ah look it is just my take based on a heavily edited show. The refurb worked for them and they are happy that's all that matters really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I do agree with what you are saying. However usually the wife is steering the design for the "greater good" of the whole family. Making it a nice space for everyone.

However I think in this case we have the person making the most money in a fairly stressful job consigned to a makeshift desk in the playroom, guaranteed with kids at her feet.

Then you have him, who has given up his job to follow his dreams , getting a fancy office and steering the whole design for his new "career". It's alot of money being spent on something that may fold within a year. Yeah they'll still have a nice kitchen at the end of it regardless. It was very much his vision.

Guaranteed those kids will be in creche 5 days a week while he's making "content" too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There was a huge emphasis on him and his career in the show (the fairly pointless Donal what's his name insert etc). I wonder will the office spaces be used the way they said. I could see her using one of them in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Sono

House turned out lovely in the end, that husband was an awful dose though, I’d say Dermot was glad to see the back of him.

I don’t think he mentioned enough about his food business….

I have to reply here. He hasnt given up his job to follow his dreams. And not sure what you mean by a "career" or why its in inverted commas.

The man is a qualified sports nutritionist. He has worked for Dublin GAA and Leinster Rugby. He has written two cookbooks. He employs 3 other sport nutritionists for his company, Davey nutrition. He hosts seminars for companies. He hosts performance retreats in portugal for 5 days at a time. He works with high performing competitive athletes.

You seem to be insinuating he takes a few videos and puts them on instagram ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd agree. At the end of the day, there was far too much focus on that angle. He needed a kitchen with a bit of light - ultimately they were recording on on iphone with no additional production gear in Donal Skeehans gaff. Didn't really make a whole pile of difference about lighting/counter tops/presses etc.

Twas absolute nonsense.

I know the guy has a "real" job as well and is by all accounts good at it, so the focus on the social media side really was just for self promotion - which is fine as well in general, just not when you are dealing with the design of what has to be a functional family kitchen ultimately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Was probably more to get the planning permission sorted before the show aired to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thats all well and good but his job/business didnt need to feature so much in the programme. The emphasis on how he needed the kitchen a certain way was selfish on his family. Also he did mention his wife was the main earner so his business may be just a little more bit more than a hobby. Its hard to make good money doing what he is doing. My husband has one of his books and knows him but says alot of what he does doesnt actually generate money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not that I want to fight his in any way at all but I say the show took the influencer angle and ran/sprinted with it (which the husband wouldn't have minded at all I'm sure).

I just think that the wife came across as a strong individual and I don't think she would have stood by and let them run with a kitchen that she didn't like.

I think they were always going to go for the slightly unusual aspect of the needs of this couple.

It had glitz (Donal What's his Name?) and wasn't your run of the mill kitchen requirement.

Emphasis was always going to be on him, not a solicitor needing a routine desk and computer.

"Little more than a hobby"

"My husband says he doesnt generate a lot of money"

This thread continues to deliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Deeec

Well he does talks for free for sports clubs (that my husband is involved in) in the hope he will get some business out of it and spends his time doing videos which is vanity basically rather than good business. He admitted on TV that the wife is the earner. Im not saying he is bad at what he does but it doesnt pay the bills.

Ok boomer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well I had never heard of him....not that that means anything.

He said himself he was walking away from his career and venturing out by himself.

He said himself the wife earns more.

That venture seemed to go as far as the kitchen ....I'm surprised they didn't go for a more professional style kitchen rather than "let's put a coffee machine on the counter (which let's face it the majority of us have) and say we're styling the kitchen on a cafe"

The light issue could easily be solved by daylight lamps when filming.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the skills to back it up, but it is a gamble.

I'm not sure if he walked in to the bank looking for a business loan, with that as a business plan how far he'd get.

From what was shown on tv , for someone who knows nothing about him, it came across a fairly Mickey mouse operation.

• Some of the comments against the husband on here are a bit harsh and old fashioned. While he did come across as a bit of a douchebag a quick google shows him up to be fairly qualified and successful in his field of nutrition, a career that requires a lot of study and expertise. A career that I am sure is very rewarding over a miserable desk hockey career.

its not all about earnings, maybe his career allows him flexibility to play the role of a part time stay at home father allowing his wife focus on her career. A win win for both and a massive win for the young kids.

It looks like he does 1:1 consultations over zoom so the garden room would be a game changer for this, no distractions and will come across professional without having kids noise in the background. I also didn’t hear that only himself was getting the office key so a great place for her to work and be warm for important calls / times requiring focus when kids are around.

anyways a solicitor in Ireland earns €100k plus, he could be earning a reasonable €70k so his statement that his wife as the main earner would still be correct and is not the failure some posters are calling him.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

• Ah lads some of ye really don't have a clue about his job. A lot of assumptions. Being involved with multiple high performing sports teams in parallel, providing 1-1 consultations, 2 released books and the instragram will bring in income.

As an aside - I thought that program highlighted the absolute shocking value of housing in Dublin. They bought that 2 years ago for 500k and and have had to dump money into it to bring it up to scratch. In todays market the house would probably cost 600-700k.

Just my 2c but give me a nice regional house on a bit of land or a villa in Spain with a pool anyway of the week.

This market is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Wages are nuts as well if a young solicitor earn €100k plus (the figure someone quoted in the previous post), working from home for some of the week (possibly with kids under her feet) and in a office the rest. The whole thing is not sustainable, any more than the boom of 2004-2007 was.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• I didn’t see any kids under her feet, did you or do you know them personally?

typical working from home routines for parents do not involve that, they involve kids in crèches / childminders etc! WFH has been a thing for 4 years if someone is minding their kids while working then they would have been found out at this stage.

fyi, I posted to this thread an hour ago, hence how I saw your post, I know you are sensitive and paranoid about posters replying to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yeh I guess. and I don't think ireland has the level of smallish property investors renting and flipping property to support a homes under the hammer style program. ( which sad to say we have on record) which is in season 26 1196 episodes

Sunny Dayz, you say "the wife working from the cold playroom" and "visions of her trying to amuse the kids etc". I hope George Early Transition does not read your post or they may attack you even worse than they attacked me!

I wonder if they upgraded insulation in the attic or replaced windows (upgraded?) upstairs etc in order to go from D to A BER? For a series "all about grants" (Dermot's words) and seeing as they availed of the energy grant (worth thirty something thousand afaik ) , there was not much detail.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

In fairness to the husband, he said at the start the wife wanted a house in Dublin. Sounds like he'd be happy anywhere, even down the country, but much of his business and her work is in Dublin so not easy to make the move. I can see them moving in a few years though, that back garden will get to them in the end. They'll get a good price for the house and can move somewhere with a bigger garden.

He got really emotional over those rocks, but obviously very personal to him.

I'd say eventually they'd move back to Sligo and buy a mansion there and do some sort of commuting to Dublin once or twice a week.

Dermot did a good job, ticked all their boxes and just about stayed within budget. He's getting better at this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

think she only works 3 days a week , so probably coming out with about €60

Gardens and plants seemed to be anathema to her anyway. Some people, more than you might think are like that. Many would live happily with outdoor spaces as easily maintained as that and do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

For a series "all about grants" (Dermot's words) and seeing as they availed of the energy grant (worth thirty something thousand afaik ) , there was not much detail.

They very clearly said the whole house would be retrofitted and that the upstairs layout would remain the same.

Not sure what else there is to say. A few action shots of lads laying insulation in the attic isn't exactly riveting TV.

• Advertisement

We have established ( although it was not mentioned on the programme) they fitted a samsung heat pump, so they changed the heating system. It was not shown on the tv programme except on a brief birds eye view of the whole property : you can make it out half way down the side wall of the garden. They also put exterior cladding on some (but not all - they kept the brick at the front) of the exterior walls. The rest is quite vague, for a series "all about grants", but at least the house turned out quite nice in the end and the couple seemed happy with it.

Advertisement