Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

He wouldn't have been a suspect at all only for that lunatic Marie Farrell who was getting boned by all the guards in the area ,the cops coerced her to say she saw him that night near the bridge.

Years later she admitted she was lying

So let's say he did do it .do you really think he'd tear up to the scene of the crime with Sophies nail marks on his face and arms just to write a story for a paper and risk his whole existence, and go there early .

He was a first class Dickhead and a violent man but he's definitely not thick.

Framed by the cops who hadn't a clue about anything.

And do you really think he'd murder a woman he didn't even know well cos he didn't like his poems,

Please

• Registered Users Posts: 30,604 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Alfie Lyons had access to the scene. Alfie knew Sophie.

Alfie's wife immediately after the murder went to the dump in her car.

Alfie is reported as having a wound on his hand around the time of the murder.

Despite a very violent murder happening in the nearby property, Alfie and wife say they heard nothing.

Why is he not a likely suspect? I'm not saying he is the killer, but if you are just going on flimsy circumstantial evidence he ticks many boxes also.

The only reason everything you know points that was is because that's how the Guards pointed it.

The scratches have been discussed in detail on the thread. If Bailey was scratched at the scene, why was there no trace? If he was scratched at the scene, why not take to bed 'with flu' or cover things up with winter clothes? If he was scratched at the scene by briars or nails, why were the wounds gone so quickly - a dermatologist saw no sign of wounds only a few days after the murder. The story doesn't add up and never has. Multiple witnesses testify that Bailey both butchered turkeys and cut down a christmas tree just before the murder. It was not a made up story.

The DPP looked at his supposed knowledge immediately after the death and found nothing that couldn't be explained by getting information from contacts, and his behaviour in enquiring about the murder fitting with his role as a journalist who would write stories about it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

yeah that’s fine legally and it’s the way it has to be , but this is a discussion board. I agree with all of your post though.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

But that was one confession. Very unfair to claim anyone is basing everyone one on confession. There is other confessions and other bits of circumstantial evidence. I believe he did it , I could defo be wrong , it’s the people who think he shouldn’t have been a suspect who are nuts imo:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

I would say him being out and about after the murder and keeping close to other journalists and the crime scene is more indicative of guilt than innocence

Hiding away would make you anxious and fearful of what was going on outside if you were guilty

You know the story of killers returning to the crime scene and the cops keeping their eyes open for it.

Bailey was that man notwithstanding the fact that he was a journalist

• Advertisement

A journalist keeping close to other journalists, about a murder that happened in their local area, is indicative of guilt? Nope, this is just coming to an pre determined conclusion.

When it could just as easily be down to him being in the hunt for stories he can sell for money.

If Bailey is innocent, how is his behaviour a priori indicative of guilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

As is the same for every other person on the planet.

If you want a good insight listen to Mick Clifford on the matt cooper show yesterday. Mick knows his stuff and he was clear that there was hardly any evidence, the Guards made a mess of it and the French trial was a show trial with evidence submitted that would never be allowed in an Irish court. He didn't like bailey but he is very clear there is no useful evidence. In particular he mentions the fact the crime scene was open to locals for over 4 hours, the gate went missing, DNA from another many was found that was never identified and the Guards case was based on an eye witness account that he was seen 2 miles form her house which was later withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

TBF, I was replying directly to your comment the NYE confession. The other confessions are addressed in the DPP report also and none of them really hold much weight.

I can understand to an extent how he was a suspect but I certainly wouldn't have had him as the prime suspect.

I presume you couldn’t offer anyone else as prime suspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I would put Wollney, Pecout, Alfie Lyon’s and random stranger before Bailey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Tbh, it's not even clear if the Gardai built a suspect list that went beyond Bailey...

The tree and turkey thing were verified by third parties though. If he sustained those injuries at a crime scene, he would have left plenty of DNA evidence but he was equally happy to volunteer a DNA sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

deffo watched too much TV, put it in the milk, or the WINE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

No, I couldn't really give a prime suspect without more evidence but simply not having a prime suspect would not be sufficient reason to make Bailey the prime suspect; if I had to answer though, I'd work outwards from Sophie starting with the husband & boyfriend; Alfie, other neighbours and so on.

It would interesting to see the garda files on the other possible suspects to know how much they looked at each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Spencer101

His conviction was over turned on appeal and he was re-tried and found not guilty then. It's 25 years ago and some years since trial, appeal and retrial but as unattractive an oddball as George was strong argument he didn't have mental and physical capacity, (with Asperger’s, brain damage, ADHD, learning difficulties and epilepsy) to do what some have described as a hitman style murder. There's two theories that suggest can't be dismissed out of hand:-

Was model Lisa Brinkworth the real target of a hitman who shot Jill Dando? That's the theory buried in French legal papers, as our compelling dossier reveals on the eve of a major new Netflix investigation | Daily Mail Online

And

Jill Dando's murderer revealed: Crimewatch kill was ordered by Mr Big - Mirror Online

The 'Mr Big' is from a notorious North London crime family of Irish origin who at the time 'ran' London. In the 12 months before her death their main 'enforcer' and main money launderer were murdered and Mr Big's brother was jailed after a period of about 15 years where the gang's main leaders avoided conviction. The gang threatened journalists: a well known English crime journalist who died in 2022 was 'warned off' writing about them with remarks that 'if I were you I'd purchase some portable insurance, get in some target practice and be very careful of big trail bikes in your immediate vicinity.' In a year where this gang were under very considerable pressure and allowing for fact that 3 years earlier 1996 Veronica Guerin was shot- don't see this as an outlandish theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

The husband, Daniel. Given that he had by far the most plausible motive. Divorce was in the air and he stood to lose a chunk of his fortune. He was having an affair with a woman he married very quickly after Sophie's demise. He knew exactly where she was. He refused to come to Ireland with the rest of the family to grieve and accompany Sophie's remains home.

He would be my prime suspect.

I would suggest you as you havent been cleared of it in a court of law, so must be guilty

Prime suspect? Based on nothing? Odd suggestion. Was Bailey not convincted in a court of Law?

If he had been ruminating about Sophie, who by all accounts was a lady who kept to herself, with a bit of mystique, this obsession could have been mounting, and when he’d be very drunk or perhaps with weed in his system this could have been magnified, more so in the middle of the night when he was sleepless & restless.

It’s possible he had approached Sophie not even in a sexual context, but in the context as a journalist wanting to interview her and get a scoop. He could have been admiring her in all contexts, and been somewhat jealous of her success in the media world, and this night just made a drunken clumsy approach, and she said “get out of my house, go away, leave me alone”, and his ego was so badly punctured he just lost it. People can act very irrationally and with little or no provocation when very drunk, if an idea pops into their head they can’t out in a way that seems extremely irrational and out of context,

That’s my own idea of how things might have happened, but both parties are now sadly deceased.

not in any valid court no

yes based on nothing, this is basically what there is against bailey

• Advertisement

Are the French courts invalid? You better let them know. Don’t be so reductive. There is more than nothing as the reason why he’s a suspect, fair enough you don’t think he did it. But it’s pathetic to say there is absolutely nothing. If there was absolutely nothing then I’m sure he would have gone quickly into obscurity but then again he loved it, only thing that made him in anyway “important” . Either way a scumbag met the end he deserved.

there's nothing, except a lie

he wouldn't even have been a suspect without it, other than via proximity

And he made this approach... out of the blue to a woman he barely knew if knew at all ... in the middle of the night at a property he likely had to walk several kms across fields in the middle of the night in the middle of winter?

It sounds very doubtful \ implausible to me and always has as an angle.

It is possible it happened that way, but if that is the basis for AGS case against Bailey, it does not make for a likely or most likely suspect.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

He was an alcoholic 6ft 4 ex rugby player who beat his long term partner Jules Thomas ferociously on 3 reported occasions (2 before murder) putting her in hospital at least once. As a younger man he seems to have enjoyed more than an average share of female attention. Toscan Du Plantier's lover Bruno Carbonnet asserted to effect that she was in an open marriage. Bailey claimed in evidence in his libel case that when he, as a journalist had written, she had a very full social life in County Cork whilst not with her husband- it was what 'sources' had told him. A psychopath who fell into an uncontrollable rage when a woman he believed was 'generous with her favours' in local area rejected him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If Ian Bailey is the named suspect in the file that will eventually reach the DPP, then Gardai must have evidence above and beyond that which has been discussed ad nauseum through documentaries and discussion forums for the last 20+ years.

There is no single or series of pieces of evidence in the public domain that could possibly convict Bailey (were he still alive) - they’ll want to have a hell of a lot more information and evidence after all of this case review - otherwise it was a complete waste of time money and effort

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In order to establish a credible suspect you would need to establish a credible motive.

Unfortunately the unwavering motive that was established by rural guards in mid 90s Ireland was purely sexual.

Bit of an exotic bird who enjoyed the odd affair (clutches pearls) was a prick tease down the pub, of course some local deviant headed off in the dead of a winters night with cock in hand, drunk and stumbling miles through fields and back roads unwilling to take no for an answer.

Sophie was 5 foot 4, 100 pounds wet, I'm not saying she would have not have tried to fight off someone trying to sexual assault but in reality the likelihood is she would have been over powered by a much bigger male.

There is zero tangible evidence that this crime was anyway sexual in it's nature.

The cold case review team are establishing a motive based on either an intruder or a burglary. Which looking at the scene and circumstances would make some sense.

Probably too late now though to build a potential suspect.

He was married to a Sarah Limbrick from 1979-1983 who seems never to have spoken to media. Bizarrely Limbrick's son by another man murdered her grand mother and is in Broadmoor and so she's two strong reasons to avoid media. Very unfair of me but don't believe at 36, or so, he started hitting women for the first time when with Jules Thomas. In his libel case c20 years ago: 'The court heard that a witness will claim Mr Bailey told him that he once had a blackout - and when he came out of it, he realised he was trying to strangle his wife, Ms Limbrick."

not evidence

now apparently they had a very abusive relationship both ways, no excuses as he is much bigger than her, this is why she didn't leave

but why do you think she didn't kick him out? especially if she thought he was a killer?

they weren't married

• Advertisement

The libel case in which Bailey won damages against two newspapers because there was no actual evidence he had in fact been violent towards Ms Limbrick?

Advertisement