Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i've been out and about quite abit lately, and have'nt seen any re-turn cans or bottlers whatsoever yet. Shops may have received their stock of re-turn cans but choosing not to put out those cans/bottles in an attempt to try selling off their non-returned-labeled inventory. Some i imagine won't put these return cans out until feb 1st, some might do before then not sure. And some will wait till june 1st apparently. June 1st is when everywhere should have them for sale no exceptions, feb 1st is when the machines go live. Some cans have made their way into store shelves already, a person in this thread had previously posted a picture of a can they got with the return logo on it.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

They have been allowed purchase containers with a ReTurn logo since January 1st (I'd need to triple check the date). They're not allowed sell containers with a ReTurn logo until February 1st. You shouldnt see any on the market until then unless a shop makes a mistake.

You would expect all shops to sell off their non-ReTurn logo stock first obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Ahh ok , I taught they could sell new stock but not charge the extra till Feb 1st ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The Return system will be featured on The Claire Byrne Show RTE Radio 1 today.

The show runs from 10.00 to 12.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This scheme only covers a small percentage of recyclable items. In 2024 with advances in technology, I can’t help but think that time/effort/money would have been better spent improving the sorting of items at the recycling centres. The potential yields are far higher.

We already recycle huge amounts – my blue bin is crammed every collection. All we are doing here is pre-sorting some recyclable items and going through an extra long process of returning them.

There is an environment and financial cost to this, including…

• Cost of the reverse vending machine itself.
    • Cost to run the machine (electricity & maintenance).
    • Loss of revenue to the store (lost floor space).
    • Cost of advertising and promoting the scheme to consumers.
    • Cost of collecting recyclables – additional vans on the road and staff.
    • Cost to all consumers - extra “deposit” charge on items (even if not possible for consumer to easily return).
    • Loss of space around the home/shed/garden to store these items.

For me, at this moment in time for me – the scheme just doesn’t make sense. It’s doing something just to be seen to be green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree 110% with this of course, however I don't think the greens had much to do with this.

The person that previously posted their can with the logo on it, had claimed to got it august of 2023.

I Don't expect all shops to sell off their non-return logo stock first, i expect some shops to be still selling it during feb and march. Some may even sell it alongside the re-turn logo stock, but at a different price, not just in terms of deposit vs non-deposit, but also for the sake of clearing non-return logo stock.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

thanks elperello :) keep us updated, if you're listening to it. interested in seeing how the convo turns out, i just don't have radio :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some suppliers have been sending out re-turn logo stock for months now, Vocation and Galway Bay Brewery are two you'll likely find in a normal offo already

You clearly have a device that can access the internet.

Use it.

• Advertisement

EXACTLY!! the whole thing is a scam, masquerading under the illusion of caring about the environment when really its just a numbers game. They only want the quick easy fast recyclables they can make money from. recycle themselves, and give the government the numbers they want to show in the faces of the EU for number of units recycled, target being reached. Its political virute signalling essentially, but at the cost of the consumers who benefit in now way possible from the scheme and only break even at best (due to deposits and no real reward being offered like previously). ALSO the scheme does'nt go live until feb 1st, yet 100s of machines across the country are sitting their idle and turned on, fully powered up for nothing and wasting eletric.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Return CEO Ciaran Foley was on with Claire Byrne on RTE radio. She gave him a very soft ride on the question of the existing recycling collection. I emailed a query on same and I'm sure many others did. Not dealt with.

But two interesting points did emerge:

1) if you're an OAP and can't drive to the shops, Ciaran has thought deeply about your situation. His solution is that you phone him personally and he'll sort it out! I kid you not.

2) if you're a retailer, you may no longer be able to go over the border for a cheaper supplier. Not exactly in the spirit of cross border relationships.. But even more perversely, even though we are in the EU - you may not be able to avail of a supplier in another EU state!! Who's going to take the first legal case against them on that basis I wonder?

The Claire Byrne show went well.

All the questions asked by Claire and listeners were answered.

Worth listening 🎧 back to.

I'll post a link when it goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

1) if you're an OAP and can't drive to the shops, Ciaran has thought deeply about your situation. His solution is that you phone him personally and he'll sort it out! I kid you not.

Did he give out his number?

Considering these schemes have existed, with logo requirements, in EU member states for decades; I'd be pretty sure theres no basis for taking a cross border trade case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No sadly he didn't.

Em... we are supposed to be able to trade freely and without impediment across EU borders. e.g. I've purchased from a German supplier and indeed the government was encouraging businesses here post Brexit to do just this. So if a retailer now wants to buy Coke from say a Latvian distributor and is told no, the product doesn't meet Return criteria - this is surely in breach of EU treaties.

Claire now thinks the teenagers will be out scrounging for cans, as if. Clearly she has no worries on her fat salary.

A German wholesaler is free to sign up to have their products covered.

You can't sell items here without the ingredients list being in English for instance, so you are already restricted to products that meet domestic regulations.

They shouldn't be, but they are.

Not seen anything else, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

That sounds bizarre and as you say anti-cross EU border trade

Talk about taking things out of context (around the 11 minute mark below):

Claire: and you know thats a valid point here what about elderly people, (people) with disabilities, how are they expected to manage these?

Ciaran: Yeah so obviously, if they go to the shops today or people go to the shops for them then that can still be in place but, as I said, if people have particular issues we'd be delighted to talk to them if they get hold of us

i.e. if you're an outlier, contact ReTurn and they will discuss your needs with you. That is normal for a company to seek feedback. He did not say contact him personally. That is incorrect.

Your second comment wasn't directly addressed. I can hear where you're referring too. If someone wants to take a case, best of luck to them. The imported product has to conform to the regulations in Ireland. There's nothing stopping a retailer having an international supplier from another EU state. That supplier must produce containers according to the Irish spec. There's nothing to see here.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22330167/

• Advertisement

Thats not entirely true, i've had to put some items back a few times due to the writing on them not listing ingredients in english, because of allergies for other people i buy things for. its usually places like [removed for legal reasons] the places that sell things cheaper than the regular well established super markets. Some of them are even populor franchises that came to ireland from other outside countries and built businessmen here, or expanded into here.

Its not anti-EU trade. Any international supplier must register with ReTurn and produce products that conform to Irish regulations. There's nothing stopping a supplier in Germany registering with ReTurn.

yeah true there's probebly nothing stopping a supplier in Germany registering with ReTurn, but its a pain the hole and they have to pay extra maybe?

Return already tried last year and it was hard enough getting the irish suppliers onboard so far. Scheme was meant to go live january 1st 2023

There's an additional fee for putting a product on the market. Yeah, they've to pay but so do Irish suppliers. They are not treated any differently.

They could reach higher recycling targets if this scheme didnt involve having re-turn logo on their items. its really becoming a nuisense and picky.

Theres so much cans gonna go to waste (or go in the regular recycling bins). Are return gatekeeping can access or something?

From the interview, 98% of products are registered with ReTurn. 2% of products are not. I expect these are products that are sold in very low quanitities.

An increase in collection via RVMs could be increased by allowing all products to be brought back. The increase is so small, in my opinion, it can be ignored. The risks associated are fraud. I don't really see any upside to what you want.

increased numbers faster basically, and other recycleables not going to waste or sold overseas is the upside.

98% of the producting being registered are their numbers, i'm hoping they're numbers is truth. i guess time will tell. either way good luck to them and their scheme, but at the same time shame on them for making us pay deposits lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Ciaran Foley obviously doing the rounds. I'll listen to Claire Byrne show later. I thought yesterday's interview with Conor Pope of the Irish Times was reasonably soft too, figure that Conor may have copied and pasted the FAQs at the end.

The article is paywalled so I just clip what I thought was the most interesting bit.

"Another development coming down the tracks will see Ireland taking care of its own recycling needs. In times past, we shipped much of our plastic and aluminium to Asia, where it was supposedly recycled. We say supposedly because much of the material was not properly handled. In more recent times, our recyclable rubbish has had to stay within the EU, but in a few years we will be recycling it ourselves, Foley says.

A local plant needs about 15,000 tonnes of plastics each year to make it viable and the new scheme should more than meet that level – so a tendering process is coming for an indigenous plant. “Once that’s built it means producers will be getting their product, putting it on the market, it will be recycled, and the same producers will then buy that material again – it’s the circular economy and that’ll be a big win for Ireland.”"

Imagine! Producers and Retailers all expected to invest and change to a deadline, costing hundreds of millions of Euros. The consumers having to radically change how they manage their waste and recycle. The waste management business being disenfranchised overnight of millions of high value items.

Meanwhile, the body behind all this hasn't secured a plant in the state to handle it all, and will presumably be exporting our waste until it does. Slightly undermines the green values if the waste has to be exported and the reimported in order to be 'circular'.

Does anyone know the answer not asked by Conor Pope: Where is all this recycling going?

• Advertisement

If they built the plant before we had the data to show it would be successful, you (or someone else) would complain they are wasting money on a plant as we don't know if its economically viable yet. No matter what ReTurn do, they're wrong according to the nay-sayers on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement