Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You wouldn’t take a job without a contract, nor should you enter into a long-term relationship without one.

I don't buy this analogy at all; a LTR is not akin to a job, or shouldn't be if it's a fulfilling one. To me it should be more like an intimate personal experience such as a close friendship or a religious conversion. You wouldn't enter a legal contract tying you to either of those for the rest of your life and IMO neither would you to an 'intimate partnership' in a sane world. So in my book civil marriage is a nonsense and should be abolished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There was no suggestion in this particular case though that the institution of marriage needed to be deconstructed, whether to suit the stupid and the feckless or otherwise.

It’s not a question of whether or not he could have avoided anything, their children certainly couldn’t have avoided being discriminated against either, which was the basis on which it was determined that the provisions of the Social Welfare Act were found to be unconstitutional. The criteria on which they were based was found to be discriminatory against parents and children based on the parents marital status. That’s why it was considered capricious and arbitrary, as it took no account of the fact that in Irish law parents have equal obligations to their children regardless of whether or not they are married.

You didn’t do a very good job of explaining all this to your friend (whom I’m assuming you did not enter into a legal contract with!), because marriage is not a legal contract with the State, it’s a legal contract between two parties who have the right to enter into marriage in accordance with Irish law, recognised by the State. But that’s me being unnecessarily picky, the State also recognises marriages not contracted within the State. Could’ve saved yourself all that pain by simply acknowledging that other people have different views of marriage than your own. For other people who aren’t you, their marriage is about romance, the church and the big day out, or whatever their own personal reasons are for either entering into marriage, or not.

The whole purpose of the upcoming referendum would mean that should a family find themselves in such unfortunate circumstances as the loss of a loved one, they would not be treated less favourably by the State on the basis of their marital status, as that would be as the Judge put it “arbitrary and capricious”, regardless of the existence of a will outlining their wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

There would be a need for a lot more referendums to include all those people. There are further Constitutional Articles which reference the inalienable rights of parents - to choose how they will educate their children etc. A referendum would be needed for Article 42, for example, to change the phrase "parents" to......?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

Interestingly and a potential nightmare for the government, Judge Hogan said in his summary that because Article 42A.2.1 was amended after the children's referendum (2013?) to refer to "unmarried parents" it naturally follows that all parents are treated equally regardless of marital status and have to be considered a family. This has huge implications for one parent families:

"The reasoning in Nicolaou has, in any event, been overtaken by the express words of Article 42A.2.1⁰ (as inserted by the 31st Amendment), which in turn necessarily means that the reference to “parents” in Article 42 and Article 42A must be taken to include all parents, regardless of their marital status. This in turn has consequential implications for what constitutes “the Family” for the purposes of Article 42.1 and, by further extension, Article 41 itself".

https://www.courts.ie/acc/alfresco/0e6360f9-3c7b-4c71-97eb-48433f587db3/2024_IESC_1_(Hogan%20J).pdf/pdf#view=fitH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Woman is a woman, or maybe they might add man, and give us equal status at home, cuz it's not always the woman who keeps the house going!

Either that or just delete the whole "woman in the home" clause and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What? That's too cryptic for me, but I'm still not sure either, as to which way I'll vote.

I think that poster is saying they are voting no because advertisers show men doing cleaning

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The whole purpose of the upcoming referendum would mean that should a family find themselves in such unfortunate circumstances as the loss of a loved one, they would not be treated less favourably by the State on the basis of their marital status

I thought the point of your highlighting this case was to show that the referendum wasn't necessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Historically, the main function of marriage has not really been to regulate the relationship of the couple; for better or worse, they largely do that themselves. It's more to regulate the relationship between the couple and the wider community. A couple who marry are taking a relationship which would otherwise be purely private and concern only themselves and are making it the concern of the wider community, asking for social, official, administrative, legal, etc. recognition, acceptance and support. So you get married in order to opt in to a package of rules and practices about inheritance, taxation, tenancy rights, etc that are designed to recognise and support a commited, exclusive, conjugal relationship.

Whether that's how we see it now is another matter, but that's the purpose that marriage was designed to serve, and seeing it that way explains a good deal about the legal and administrative consequences of choosing to marrying (or of choosing not to).

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

They picked international women's day to remove women from the constitution. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

As Beyonce said " if you love it then you better put a ring on it"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

I love that word that judges use - "capricious". As if the legislators sat around with a few different drafts and tossed a coin or threw dice to decide which one to use. They wrote the law that way because they believed they had an obligation to favour the marital family, from article 41 of the constitution. But, the Supreme Court has nixed that understanding. So, for the state to claim the judgement has no impact on the referendum is disingenuous to say the least.

As Colum Kenny observed recently. Most of the misinformation in this campaign is coming from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not really sure why they didn't just combine this with one of the elections this year. Seems a bit pointless to be by itself and I'd imagine the turnout will be very low

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

This thread has been going on for just under a year now, and their are a handfull of ppl that have posted all the way through..

some people really do have a lot of time on their hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Perhaps "Those with durable relationships".

I'll be voting against the proposals anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

The Galway law lecturer in this has a greatly inflated sense of his own writing ability. It’s painfully muddled and over-written, with the unmistakeable influence of a thesaurus.

One sentence stands out: ’If you buy into the dogma that socioeconomic rights have no place in the Constitution, it should not be beyond your tolerance level to vote for an expression of constitutional gratitude devoid of legal consequence by way of a tokenistic reference to “care in the home’.

If you can extract his meaning you’ll notice that, quite apart from the fact that ‘dogma’ is a misnomer - in the previous paragraph he says that ‘many lawyers’ would prefer tokenistic language removed from the constitution, presumably for legal rather than dogmatic reasons - the whole point of keeping the constitution free of such language is that it muddies the water, which means it is ‘of legal consequence’, whether or not it grants the rights that supporters expect of it. He also describes, three times, such tokenistic language as ‘vibes’, as though trying to ingratiate himself with the Snapchat generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just on Archbishop McQuaid, watched a documentary about Ireland's Olympians on TG4 recently and he popped up as one of the big opponents to Irish women participating in the Olympics. This was the 50s when it had become generally accepted women could compete in sports, just not long distances like the 400 metres!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Or if you actually think about it, they chose international Women's day to remove a clause that was put there to say a woman's place was at the kitchen sink, so it is quite symbolic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Thinking out loud: if you were to present a case to a Judge as to whether polygamy is a form of durable familial relationship or not how would she view it in a supposedly secular country?

That wasn't the intention at the time though, it has kind of evolved to mean that.

Agree on the wording though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Polygamy is illegal afaik. It's polyamory where the confusion will arise - the equivalent of co habituating.

Only that's not what it says.

Getting tired of what's actually in the constitution being misrepresented.

They chose international women's day so they could wrap their amendment up in feminism in any old effort to get it to pass.

I think you have to imagine Ireland of that time to understand the intention behind it, Marriage bans in the civil service and stuff like that. I don't think Dev envisaged Ireland's economy over the last 30 years while writing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Saying civil marriage should be abolished is ridiculous.

You want to abolish a contract between two consenting adults but retain ceremonies where one of the parties is supposedly a supernatural being. Makes sense...

Who are you to say that the marriages of hundreds of thousands of people are not of any value?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

The intention behind it is irrelevant as the constitution is interpreted as a living document, not how the author intended it to be interpreted.

So with those eyes it simply means that women (and men as they are considered interchangable) shouldn't be forced to work at the expense of family. When interpreted as it should be, it is actually an exceptionally progressive article.

Advertisement