Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

Red Blue Yellow Green and purple and they can accommodate for approx 50 people per intake, each intake will be four weeks behind the other. With me being in aprils intake last year we were the second intake in 2023, the first being January, (that course had a small cohort of approx 11) they were approximately 13 weeks ahead of us on the course. My advice is be friendly with the all the courses in GV especially those ahead of you as they can help you down in the long run lol

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Anonymous4321

Roughly there has been intakes in the past which were 50+ but i think with the budget at the minute the max could be anywhere from 100 to 250 the max intake for 2023 was around 100 officers January april may june intakes plus a few who had been recoursed from the course in 2022

Cheers. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

If anyone did can they let us know what it said please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 new2022scs

Just that they will be in touch shortly to progress to next stages etc...I'm <230

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Anyone else in same boat and passed medical,pca,vetting etc and just waiting on call

@ynwa Yep! 70-90 ML

• Registered Users Posts: 11 C3PO.

Yeah I got a second one, basically states that I’m being progressed through the next stages and check details were correct for vetting forms to be posted

• Registered Users Posts: 37 WarzoneGuy1997

The joys of being 800> on the list 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 kaligsd65

@psnaye2023 @ynwa yeah same boat here. <100 ML

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

The guys that got the 2nd email, what are your rough merit positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 C3PO.

@Si_zx10r 204

I've a bit of a wait on my hands lol I'm low 800s, fingers crossed I get to managed stages before Christmas lol

Am I right in saying any public sector budget cant change without an executive formed?

Surely there must be another way around that.

According to the SoS yes. But in theory no.

I don’t think it matters though as they wouldn’t push out that email without plans to do it regardless

Yh i was thinking that.

I was 800-850 in the 2020 campaign, i applied January 2020 and got the call march 2023. Just hang in there it will happen when it happens..... its worth it lol

I hope so and hopefully I pass the vetting etc without issue as I worry about it the most. I've a clean record etc etc but it's one of those things

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chickenlicken123

Any guesses as to how quickly we will receive vetting forms/PCA dates etc now?

• Advertisement

When this happened last year it was very fast. We got same email as today on March 22. I got vetting in early-mid April, my PCA was mid May as they give you 4 weeks notice. Medical you get after passing PCA but they give you a medical pack to get filled in by GP during PCA with your results, if you pass. SMT is obviously part of medical.

I had all things done on my side mid May and was appointable in June. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 iolo87

I think I was pretty similar, got my PCA done in May, vetting came back a couple of months later and medical was very slow for me for some reason. Appointable since August.

I'm 70-100 ML.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kelsogi

Anyone any advice for PCA? If you fail what happens?

I think there is a familiarisation day before your date

Then if you fail the first time I think you get a second attempt either on that day or a few weeks after (to let you train more).

There is a familiarisation 2 weeks prior. It’s handy enough; you can do the whole course individual segments but not at once. It’s the exact same as the video on PSNI YouTube. If you touch anything or fail a part you wait until they reset and run it again - easily attainable within 4 mins 30 secs if you’re anywhat fit.

If you fail you redo in 12 weeks and have sessions in between for support.

Everyone I was with passed I think but a girl at my familiarisation refused to jump the 6 foot wall. It’s very easy with 2 planks to boost but just FYI as I didn’t see her at the actual PCA so I wonder if she dropped out due to it.

Any more questions around managed stages fire away and I’ll answer what I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 new2022scs

The wall is the only bit that stresses me....being on the shorter side. Is there a lip for your foot to go on?

Yes there’s two! It’s a six foot wall with two lips to boost. It’s easy

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

If I can give you any advice, don’t stress about the PCA. Go for a few runs and do sprints and time yourself for 4 mins 30. Even aim for 4 mins sprints. That course can burn your legs out if you run like a mad person. It’s easily achieved by running normally and not over thinking it. I’m not an athlete by any means, I had to re-do two obstacles twice and still passed. So don’t panic, but don’t underestimate it either. You have loads of time.

Really use the familiarisation event and really try each obstacle. If anything, it gives you an idea of a technique to use for on the day. Also, they run beside you and direct you. I know that was my worry, what if I run the wrong way or go to the wrong obstacle. Believe me, it all makes sense when you get down there and have a look. And tbh, if you really want to pass that bloody test, you will be surprised what your mind will do for you. Mind over matter. The last lap, once you get over that wall and attempt to run your last length, just close your eyes and go like ****…. 😎

I can’t believe we did that last May. That is shocking 😮

• Advertisement

I assume if there was a stormont return and they accepted the deal and DoJ got their share of money, as well as a budget increase, there would be more than 3 intakes this year?

Advertisement