Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Bus from Parkgate Street to the Visitor Centre to start operating by the end of the month.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/dublins-phoenix-park-bus-service-due-to-launch-this-month/a1806105530.html

"...The route was originally supposed to run from Heuston Station, through the park's Cabra Gate and continue on to Broombridge Station. However, this was put on hold due to the historic gate being too narrow for buses to pass through safely..."

(Click the ad infested link at your own risk...)

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/new-phoenix-park-dublin-bus-27458749

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

It’s good that there’s a bus servicing the Phoenix Park but surprised it seemingly is not going any further west than the Phoenix monument roundabout for the likes of Farmleigh. The Castleknock roundabout is pretty small so presuming the bus can’t circle that for its return leg. Operational hours look to be every 30mins between 09:00 and 18:00 but haven’t read of what scope applies to extend that 18:00 during DST.

That said the platforms/ramps installed over the cycle lanes and constituting as the bus stops are seriously stupid and even dangerous. Can’t understand why they didn’t have the bus going to the kerb and taking over the cycle lane like for the existing Hop On/Off sightseeing bus as well as every other bus stop in the city. Presume that was the OPWs suggestion/making so I guess it shouldn’t surprise me.

When the bus stop is in use, no one can proceed, cars can’t overtake trans-versing the solid median line and the platform/ramp will have potential passengers embarking/alighting the bus. For the approximately 94% of the day when no bus is stopped then there is a large ramp and obstacle blocking an otherwise nice and efficient cycle lane.

Classic OPW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Maybe im missing something, but whats the big hype

Surely a few feet extra and use the Luas/Train station (shops, toilets etc) as the termus would be better than where it is (outside a abandoned dirty factory), then be able to push the leap card 90 fare and get passangers on two services

You don't need a bus to for that route. You can walk from the train station. But if you do. Use a smaller mini bus and do a circular route in the park. Extended it into the station, which then because it's a small bus can use the small roundabouts.

But hey, its the Phoenix Park. Nothing logical will be happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Getting to Heuston station would be messy - it would have to past Croppies Acre Park to Rory O'More Bridge, to the station front entrance, turn left to get onto Frank Sherwin Bridge and then to Parkgate Street. It's much quicker to do the u-turn on Parkgate Street.

The tweet seems to say it is covered by Leap 90 fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I had thought that St Marys Hospital would be the end point. A hospice/hospital with no way to get there except by car? The design of the stops is comical. But hey ...any bus access is progress of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

The 26 goes along Chapelizod Road and has always had a stop labelled "St Mary's Hospital".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

fyi to those using and commuting through the park. Was wondering what all the generators/lights were for in the park the past couple of day so looked up the below to find gates from 19:00 this evening for 24hrs due to the Chinese Premier visit:

Didn't notice a signal sign throughout the park notifying of the closure so typical OPW. I remember a similar closure a couple of years ago when Prince Charles stayed in Farmleigh, cycled down White's Road to find the gate closed and no way through, a sign at the top of the road wouldn't have killed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Here's a tip.

To my knowledge clampers do not patrol the park, and if you are caught the fine is a fiver.

While the weather isn't up to much now, when it is I'll be parking on the bike lanes they stole off us. The bollards look easily accessible to get a car between (I'd imagine they were made like that to allow emergency vehicles park). I feel it's a duty as much as anything.

How **** dare the Green lobby think they have sole use of these lanes, lanes that could have easily been built alongside the existing footpaths. That park is paid for by every taxpayer from Castleknock to Clonakilty, the absolute gall on these people who think they own it and have a right to tell us how to use it.

I'm also fairly sure there's nowhere within the park a speed van can position itself, hence why I try and keep to a steady 80 when driving through.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Another one I copped a few weeks ago when driving through- the removal of parking spaces along the sides means that it is extremely difficult for emergency vehicles to fly past in heavy traffic.

Normally everyone in front would simply pull in and let the vehicle past, but that isn't really an option for drivers now, everyone stopping and squeezing between the bollards would take as long as just continuing to drive.

Another risk to life the policies of O'Gorman are creating which you should raise if he dares knock on your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

the policies of O'Gorman 

?? The Minister for Children like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭raheny red

What if the €5 fine is only payable by card?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Presumably Greens generally.

O'Gorman is the local face of them in Dub West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

While I cycle the Park regularly, I agree that those two pathways could have easily been divided between cyclists and pedestrians. I suppose the real target were cars parking on Chesterfield Avenue and the placement of cycle lanes were an easy way to sell it. And yes those tatty plastic pylons look terrible. DCC seem to revel in ugliness.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jun/27/do-i-risk-it-your-photos-of-the-worlds-best-and-worst-cycling-infrastructure

There used to be a cycle path there and people on bikes had to avoid colliding with pedestrians wrongly using it. In addition, people on bikes were expected to yield at every junction which makes commuting a pain in the arse.

Anyhow, a cycle path where someone cycling could easily be doing 40 or 50km/h should not be shared with pedestrians. The most logical place for a cycle path was on the road.

As for the plastic wands, they are there because people in cars seem incapable of not crossing a solid white line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So put a 75mm pre-formed composite kerb in, with reflective lane separators.

Those wands are an effing disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Cars and pedestrians have to yield at junctions depending on the situation, why are bicycles so special that they don't have to yield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The OPW came up with these plans all by themselves though. They have been trying to reduce traffic and parking for as long as I can remember, regardless of who has been in government.

I didn't choose them nor do I like them but were a quick and easy way to get the job done without digging up Chesterfield Ave for it's entire length on both sides. Personally, I think it would be better if people were able to drive with more care and attention that the wands weren't necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Because in the case of chesterfield avenue, cyclists would simply avoid using the old cycle path and stick to the avenue which didn't necessitate having to yield at every single side road. If you put in infrastructure that treats a cyclist as second class to motorised vehicles it is no surprise to see people avoid the cycle track. If you want people to actually use the cycle track it actually needs to serve their purpose surprisingly.

It is not for this forum, but my problem with cyclists is the lack of respect for pedestrians. It is a bit like a food chain where articulated trucks have no respect for cars who have no respect for bicycles who have no respect for pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, it's not at all.

Emergency drivers are better then you, just slow down, they will pass you, no issues. in fact, you can see so far ahead on chesterfield ave, it's better then most roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Stop feeding the troll!

Yes, we all had a meeting and decided that this would be our policy towards pedestrians (FFS 😕)

I do a lot of Kms on a bike and don't recall encountering a lack of respect shown by someone on a bike towards a pedestrian. You're just citing a trope here which may exist amongst a few people who sit their ass on a bike but they'd still be a twat no matter what they were sitting on. Maybe next time, throw in a bit about all cyclists breaking red lights etc!

And, no, it's not for this forum (or thread) but you still felt the need to post it!

• Advertisement

Just in from walking my dog for an hour, three times cyclists on paths nearly knocked us down.

The same could be said about drivers, not all drivers had a meeting and decided that would be their policy towards cyclists. However, there is no doubt that a large number of drivers have no regard for cyclists, and that a large number of cyclists have no regard for pedestrians.

Advertisement