Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A few action shots of lads laying insulation in the attic isn't exactly riveting TV.

We actually got a few. 😀

Also, nobody said anything about the show being 'all' about one thing either. That poster is getting increasingly desperate in the conspiracy theorising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I would say its more for the kids, the garden is too small. Fine for toddlers, but when they start looking for trampolines and swings and so on, not great. Husband seemed a bit iffy about Dublin, passed the decision off as hers. So sounds like he'd be happy to go anywhere, and was not as pushy as it appeared to come across in the program. He seemed to have a strong connection to Sligo, so who knows in a few years.

Yeh, it would be too small IMO too but that doesn't escape the fact that to many it is adequate. I'm sure they didn't buy a big house to live as a couple for their days and planned to start a family there. They would likely have considered the size of the garden then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I loved the idea of the stone tiles behind the coffee machine but did anyone else notice that the top row were mis-aligned? I'd be fuming if that happened to such a focal point of my renovation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

Some people want the whole episode to be a Youtube How-To guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

My one takeaway from the last episode was the cost of a planter - were they making it from gold? Think he was quoting €4k. You could easily make a wooden planter for around €200 - €300.

The other thing that infuriates me about RTI is that they are not happy to do things down the line. I know they need the shiny new finished house for the show, but it's unrealistic. It's better to do what you can now and then save to do the rest later, rather than overstretching with loans. I understand the logic behind putting the foundations for the shed in, but the shed/ outdoor room could have been left for later. Likewise, the trees / shrubs could be done at a later date, or better still, buy saplings for a fraction of the price and watch them grow.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard that all the swanky furniture is put in for the show and it doesn't belong to the owners. That always struck me with the show... the homeowners were often stretched beyond their budget but behold, they have a €2k armchair and €1k coffee table. I would prefer if we get to see the house as it is, rather than it being dressed by professionals with high-value rental pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Never noticed that. I think the 6 stone tiles are a nice touch, and clearly mean a lot to the occupiers, so a great idea. The top tiles are smaller than the middle tiles which are smaller than the bottom tiles, but that would not bother me. If you are looking for something to be misaligned, the switches beside it are the same size or not level or evenly spaced from one another, is that what you mean?

What would bother me more about the kitchen is that corner of that great big slab of Roscommon granite counter top sticking out, and to a small toddler visiting or running around would be dangerous to hit their head off as it may not be in their eye level and no leg to support it. Saw a child split their head open once and not a pretty sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I couldn't figure out how they pulled that off. There were too many tiles to be from the single rock that he brought for cutting, and the size was off - the tiles looked too big to be from the rock they cut. They looked like shop-bought tiles but he was quite emotional about them, so I'm wrong or he should change his career to acting. Perhaps they had other larger rocks but they all looked very uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The rest is quite vague, for a series "all about grants"

You seem utterly fixated on this off-the-cuff comment from Dermot. It was a throwaway remark, not some sort of mission statement for the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think there's some kind of reasonable middle ground to be had in fairness. A quick run through of the retrofit details and benefits would be informative and to be expected imo.

I certainly could have forgone the few minutes we lost seeing the 3 flutes in the kitchen and not a chef between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd agree that some information could be provided, particularly expected cost savings on energy, what type of heating system is installed and how it works, or were there any changes that had to be made to accommodate the system.

They definitely don't need to get into the nitty gritty of what thickness of insulation they added etc, as anything like that isn't going to matter to most people because it would be different for so many different properties, but things like the expected cost savings from going from a D2 to an A2, or any other challenges that had to be addressed to accommodate the retrofit of insulation/heating system etc could help give people a better idea on if it's something they should consider, rather than "Doesn't Donal Skehan have a lovely bright wee kitchen!"

I noticed that too, but then I would expect that if Dermot went to the trouble of bringing a stone to Co. Laois to be cut, he probably took 2 or three, in case one cracked or did not work out or whatever. It looked like limestone? I thought the thinnest limestone could be cut was 1" but they must have succeeded in cutting it thinner to mach the level of the other tiles beside it. Great idea and it looks well.

I agree. Hundreds of thousands of people are in their homes shivering and with high energy bills, and were or are wondering about these grant aided insulation / energy upgrades. If they are worth going for etc. Still no wiser really. Even if it was just on a seperate off peak programme which could be recorded and watched again. Would be very cheap for RTE to make too. ( the cook on R to I in that other kitchen said he can make viewable content with a phone. I will not call him a flute like you do, lets just call him a cook ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Agreed. Its a fairly well-worn format at this stage but I have to say much more watchable than something like Grand Designs which can get too much into the nitty gritty. There's usually a human interest or back story element to RTI whereas something like Grand Designs or similar focus on the nuts and bolts. Plus a lot of the Grand Design projects end up as complete failures, costly mistakes, or half done, whereas Dermot tends to deliver and is getting better at doing it on budget. RTI does go a lot into details such as costs and where to source things so not totally neglecting that part. I'd imagine they can't do product placements though such as naming a particular brand of heat pump.

I think the balance is just right.

Got a screenshot: the grout line of the top row (above the shelf) is about half a centimetre further to the right of the rest of the run. Just a small detail but one that would set my OCD on edge!

Looking at the number of tiles they got, it certainly looks like Dermot brought a boot load of rocks to the stone masons rather than just the one we saw on-screen.

It actually amazes me that CoCo TV don't have a Youtube channel with more of the "behind the scenes" details of each episode. Think it could be a nice little money spinner for them!

Maybe. That info is easily gotten online (I posted a link to it myself yesterday) but I suppose everyone wants everything spoon fed these days

Show us where online yesterday you posted even basic details like did the upgrade windows upstairs ( say single or double glazed to triple? ) and if they increased insulation levels in attic. The Room to Improve programme - after all the waffle and discussion about the garden and planting, did not even show the left hand side of the garden at the end because there plonked in the middle of it is a great big heat pump, probably relatively noisy like most heat pumps ( 60 db ) ? With those programmes, remember they only show what they want to show.

Slightly more info would be great : like was it a d2 or d3 : it is now an A2 or A3? Someone else said they "could have forgone the few minutes we lost seeing the 3 flutes in the kitchen and not a chef between them" and it is hard not to agree with that.

Oh sorry I meant the information a reasonable person would like to know.

The insulation level in the attic. For the lamb of jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Your average RTI viewer is far more interested in seeing Donal Skehan than in BER ratings.

Maybe just stop watching it, it seems to upset you greatly.

A bit of middle ground is required: many people would find that some fella telling everyone how he does his cookery videos on his phone in the kitchen is (a) boring (b) not going to save you hundreds of euro a year in electricity or energy, or make for a nicer house. So hard to please everyone, I know. Personally, on a house programme, I love to see attractive, beautiful, asthetically pleasing, different, breaking the mould architecture that is also safe, practical, value for money with cutting edge technology and is also environmentally friendly and "cheap to run". There are always compromises and trade offs. Such is life. Interesting to see the processes, the people involved, the firms trying to get a plug in too.

Lots of us are living in houses built 30 or 40 or 50 years ago and wondering how to make them warmer / better / open to ideas.

Room to Improve, while not perfect, is a good attempt. And not much else to watch on TV anyway.

Post edited by Francis McM on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Are those top tiles flush against the wall? Looks like the wall isn’t flat.

The show is sponsored by BOI. If it was sponsored by An Post, you’d get more info because if its Green Loan.

Anyone genuinely interested in these schemes shouldn’t be depending on an entertainment show for information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There's only 4 episodes. They could make each one a 2 parter and add the details in throughout.

Also, I'm starting to think Dermot is a grand scheme kinda man. Lots of broad strokes and not much detail. He only gets his vision as the build progresses. I think it's why he gets upset when the clients disagree. He's emotionally tied to it because he hasn't taken the time to step back and be objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I don't recall them mentioning a heat pump at all, never mind the brand. It would be appropriate to mention the rating at least.

I imagine Dermots whole schtick is a complete put on and well rehearsed. In fact I'd say he does a few takes of everything he says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

If you look at the planning permission paperwork for last weeks episode, you will see that another architect in Bannon's company did all the work. It is probably the same for all the builds. It is Reality TV with Dermot as the host. I would prefer less woffle and more technical details. So much basic stuff was not covered about the insulation process and nothing about the heating system. We are don't need fine details, but at least cover the basics.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Grand designs is what you want

houses that literally destroy lives

hundreds of thousands of pounds overruns

money gone

living in damp caravan in January

husband takes on the work himself

divorce

10 years from start to finish

but they look amazing when they are sold to the next buyer😀

If that is what you want they have been saying they aren’t giving it to you since the series began.

Given it’s success popularity and ratings, they can afford to tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Do they finish every house they started on Room to Improve? Or do they start 6 projects say to get the 4 that make the cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think this is a good idea. They have the material from the filming so it's just the editing that needs doing. A look at grants and hiow the money was spent wpuld be good. They definitely need to get the SEAI involved and do some sort of talk/roundup on the heating system and insulation used in the build.

It would be a handy 30min programme for RTE during the week and would facilitate their 'public information' broadcasting quota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Possibly they can't do something like that for contractual reasons.

Advertisement