Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I saw some reports on Twitter that Zenit (a heavily fortified Air Defense position to the south west of Avdiivka) had been taken by the Russian army which, if true, would be a major problem for the Ukrainians as it's a heavily fortitified position and has the high elevation over the area and is considered a lynchpin of this front but I'm also seeing counter-claims that while they've made advances in the area, the fortification is still in Ukrainian hands.

Hard to tell the truth of it but based on everything we've seen to date from both sides, one would have to assume Ukrainian command will pull back their forces and abandon Avdiivka for more defensible positions when necessary.

On saying that, it does make me wonder that Ukraine haven't yet pulled a mass retreat in some part of the front to suck Russian troops into an encirclement. From what we've seen the Russians logistics and command have been terrible and their troops are under intense pressure to take territory so it'd seem to me that they'd be ripe for being lured into a headlong rush for "abandoned" territory which Ukraine had artillery pre-targetted on (or otherwise booby trapped) as their logistics would surely fail to keep up with a fast advance at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"In war you either kill or injury so many enemy combatants that their army is forced to retreat or go home."

Seems like you are right that frontal assaults are not yielding much in the way of territorial gain in Ukraine but as you say yourself in the part of your post I have reprinted the enemy can be forced to retreat if enough of their combatants are killed and injured. Once again the number of moskovytes the armed forces of Ukraine are after killing is about the thousand mark along with large amounts of military equipment that can no longer be used by putin to attack Ukraine. The costs for putin in this conflict are only getting higher as Ukraine is finding more ways to strike further into putin's terrorist state and his army is being demolished so in time putin will be forced to retreat.

In more news from the war putin continues their terrorist attacks on civilians with 21 missiles reported to have been shot down over night but still many deaths and injuries to innocent people because of his empire building dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Little more details there with a delivery date.

The link you supplied even mentions it's to replenish NATO stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,521 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well they're hardly keeping you in the loop with daily emails are they? It's not something that will be talked about now, it's a subject that will definitely be discussed in years to come though. Ukraine will pull the israeli reason for the need for nukes and I honestly don't see too much opposition coming their way (apart from Russia, Belarus and possibly Hungary).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, Ukraine is badly damaged, but so was Japan, Germany and all the other country's involved in the ww2. Look at what happened to these Countries after wards? Same thing will happen with Ukraine. Putin didn't want Ukraine simply to enlarge his empire, apparently there's incredible wealth both offshore and inland, and that's not including Agriculture. Sure Russia is large, but like the large farm in the area, with a bad Farmer managing it, it will go to rack and ruin. And that in a nutshell is what has happened in Russia under Putin. Once the oil and gas cash ws rolling in, that was all that mattered. Little or no investment outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg,except for vanityh projects like the crimea bridge, while the rest of Russia was falling apart. Look at the crazy situation even in Moscow now, with up to -30c temp, and the heating systems breaking down all over the place? Worse, most of the maintenance crews have been conscripted and by now a lot of them a dead or disabled.

No, Putin could have made Russia one of the biggest economic powerhouses in the world, but the criminal side of him won out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

What do you see as the benefit of forcing Ukraine to fight attritional battles against a dug in enemy while being short of arms.

Why would the Ukrainians or anyone else take the past route which has been consistently shown that urban fighting without massive suppressive fire is the quickest way to destroy your own army?

The risk of your approach is that after a few months Ukraine will have nothing left manpower wise.

You're the one suggesting the neanderthal (Russian) approach to battering each other with sticks and rocks until either there are no rocks left or no heads left to bash them against. I'm saying that Ukraine are going to win the attritional battle by not throwing their own people into the pointless destruction of their own land, and instead are being innovative in how they use what resources they have to do maximum strategic damage to Russia.

There is absolutely no point in Ukraine sending 10000 Ukrainans to die in an attempt to re-take Bahkmut (for example) when they can destroy a whole battleship (and crew) or a best-they've-got AWACS aircraft (and crew) with a few well-targetted missiles. "Attrition" does not mean that one life lost here has the same value as one lost there; nor does one Bradley lost in Avdiivka equate to the shooting down of one IL-22 over the Azov Sea.

It's significant (to me, at least) that Zelenskyy recently said of the on-going mobilisation debate that they need people to return to Ukraine to work, not to fight. That suggests to me that Ukraine already has an idea of how they're going to undermine Russia's aggression in the short to medium term, and have the country ready to leap forward when the Kremlin is finally forced to concede defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The problem is with some like a mass withdrawal to try suck the Russians in could massive backfire considering that only lately the Ukrainians have started to prepare multiple lines of defence they could seriously cause a break in there own lines , munitions running low it would be a huge gamble with very little to gain but plenty to loose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The cynical side of me thinks that "the West" is happy enough to continue as is, as long as Russia is taking heavy losses (or being "degraded" in military terms). A war of attrition, with Ukraine also capable to eliminate some high-value targets with HIMARs, Storm Shadow missiles and the likes.

The reason everyone jumped to support Ukraine was the fear that if Putin takes Ukraine, where would it stop. We could be next.

If Russia now tried to annex, say, a Balkan state they would need a hell of a lot of men to do so. Which seems implausible as they are already running out of men in Ukraine, including top Generals. And a NATO country would not have to go begging for sufficient ammunition like Ukraine has to. Not to mention the decreasing popularity of the war within Russia, and the grinding effect of sanctions and just the sheer death toll. The alleged 350,000 dead Russians all have families back home.

Basically, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, that was the peacetime attitude, but that has all been changed by Putin and his invasion of a Country right on the borders of the EU. I can see a renewal of calls for a full-scale EU army now, and it will get a lot of support this time round.

Absolutely I said that early on this thread it will have to be the way forward, the EU can't rely on the US anymore we need an EU army but the usual suspects will bog any plans down trying to decide who gets command of any EU army and where the HQ would be built looking at the french and Germans here and we will still have the issue of countries not Willing to meet an financial spending as we have seen with NATO heading to year three of this war and still countries meeting the NATO spending requirements,but yet still have a say and expect to defended, it we are going forward with an EU army everyone has to commit to increased defence spending and assisting those like us who have seen our defence completely abandoned in the hope everyone else will fight and defend us in a future conflict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭threeball

The problem is, if Ukraine falls the geopolitical ramifications will be huge. The likelihood of Europe getting drawn in to a full blown war is huge, The US won't really care as there is no threat to them and the EU is becoming an economic rival so having that pushed back 20yrs won't bother them too much. They'll support us much like they are doing Ukraine.

Russia will be emboldened and try to expand, every man and their dog will become a Russian Nationalist, happy to expand the motherland after their glorious victory. Taiwan will be come an appetizer for China while they eye up Korea, Japan and the rest of South East Asia.

If the EU and US don't put the shoulder to the wheel in the next 6months and truly give Ukraine what's needed to finish the invasion off then we're heading down the slippery slope of WW3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

What could Ukraine do for Europe that the nuclear armed UK and France couldn’t do.

ukraine won’t be getting help from the Us to get nukes and definitely won’t be getting help from Europe either.

India or Pakistan might sell them the tech though.

Friends of Russia can't see that happening either,I could see alot of EU states suddenly saying we're not interested in funding Ukraine if they are going to try acquire nukes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,703 ✭✭✭✭briany

@threeball

Russia will be emboldened and try to expand, every man and their dog will become a Russian Nationalist, happy to expand the motherland after their glorious victory. Taiwan will be come an appetizer for China while they eye up Korea, Japan and the rest of South East Asia.

Russia has a population of around 140,000,000 (-350,000?). NATO countries have a combined population of almost one billion. Even assuming that NATO falls apart, the EU has common defence policies in place, and the population of the EU is 448 million.

The point is that Russia ain't that big if it wants to start trying to throw its weight around some more. Sure, it's big geographically, but most of Russia is wilderness and arctic wasteland. When you're talking about the livable parts, it's much, much smaller.

In order for Russia to launch any other attacks on countries, they would first have to totally rebuild their military and then wait for a point that the alliances protecting their intended targets fall apart, which is not a guarantee.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Russia bothered with any military action at all. Their undermining of Western solidarity with online trolling was going pretty well for them, and it was, ironically, Russia trying to land a real physical blow that didn't bring the edifice down, but instead galvanised it. Putin could have brought the whole thing down without ever raising a finger if he'd been patient, but I suppose he wanted to sit in the shade of the tree he planted.

If they had them now maybe?

they don’t have them now , if they were to go down that road , I imagine putin would have died of natural causes by the time they acquired them

I am not saying they can’t acquire them, what I am saying is they won’t be getting help from the US or Europe to do so.

and I imagine any supposed intentions of joining the EU or NATO will stipulate they don’t have them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Frankly, I'm surprised that Russia bothered with any military action at all. Their undermining of Western solidarity with online trolling was going pretty well for them, and it was, ironically, Russia trying to land a real physical blow that didn't bring the edifice down, but instead galvanised it. Putin could have brought the whole thing down without ever raising a finger if he'd been patient, but I suppose he wanted to sit in the shade of the tree he planted.

Maybe the answer is simple, and human: that someone who'd think himself king looked at lands once "his" and as he creeped towards the grave gambled on one last throw of the dice to secure his legacy. He wouldn't be the first king or dictator to try and go out swinging & we're not that far removed from that era that I couldn't see Putin's mindset heading that way.

Maybe/maybe not

I dont think Ukraine will care too much one way or another, I think they will do whatever they feel is necessary to ensure they're never attacked like this again.

"they won’t be getting help from the US or Europe to do so"

Maybe not "officially".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Why does 200k shells cost 1BN? Seems a bit pricey no or are these the higher quality shells?

Someone posted about it a few months back I believe it said something like it was €8000 per shell, still very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That really does sound exhorbitant for a dumb shell. Is it down to the cost of brass for the casings? The munitions within? Or is it labour/machinging costs?

I think it's a mix of all of the above and the fact very few companies based in Europe actually produces shells I think it's something like 3 companies the biggest which is based in Norway so they can pretty much charge a premium because they have no real competition,

I'm surprised were not seeing or hearing anything about 3D printing shells in various alloys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭threeball

If Russia had any sense they wouldn't have invaded Ukraine but its obvious that they don't. Hoping they don't go a step further after a victory in Ukraine is wishful thinking at best. Regardless of population, I doubt any western nation savours the idea of even one missile landing in their city or town. They may be a shambles but they have the capacity to inflict serious damage where its absolutely unnecessary to absorb any just by giving Ukraine enough to get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

All European countries which are interested in defense are already in NATO (except maybe Austria, Moldova and obviously Ukraine). Some people will say Europe can't rely on the USA, but I doubt USA is going to pull out any time soon - they will be happy to sell weapons to their European allies no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Between people in occupied Russian territory and that fled abroad, Ukraine has lost about 35% of its pre war population. That's an existential issue for them.

Of course they are going to be short of labour and conscripts when that is the extent.

Russia is going to expect losses, sinking a few black fleet ships or the entire fleet with thousands dead, shooting down AWACS and such are not going to change the game on the ground In Ukraine, welcome as they would be and they are good days for Ukraine, a good start.

It will be killing as many of the Russian forces there as possible, minimum 6 figures on top of the already dead and then some and enduring, on top of what you suggest. It is not one or the other.

That's it, what other choice do they have, it's not neaderthal. It's up to date. It's the reality of war, it's kill or be killed.

If by some miracle the West decided to give Ukraine so many missiles that every Russian base in Ukraine can be hit, every staging area and supply depot inside of Russia, that will really speed things up. It won't happen though and it would still vast amounts of dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement