Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supersoil- Snake oil?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I use a lick bucket full of mollasses per bay of the slatted house. Add to a full tank then agitate. Come back about 6-8 weeks later and you'll have grass rocket fuel

What does the mollases do in the slurry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Molasses is sugar, feed the bugs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

This is super sol or whatever in a nut shell. We ended up paying for bugs to preserve silage that were already in the grass anyway. We had a prominent personality writing in the indo every Tuesday telling us all how great bactensil 2000 was, we all fell down the rabbit hole after him.

Today we have a prominent YouTuber telling us not just how fantastic it is but the best results are where Fym is spread. Now why would this be? It’s because the bugs the soil needs are already in the fym.

I think the only place for these ‘magic potions’ are on tillage soils that have been ploughed every year for the last 20 years and are basically dead from constant disturbance and spraying. They might bring back some of the bugs to kickstart such soils when they are being converted back to grass from constant tillage.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Silverdream

As John says the Mollasses feeds the Bugs. It's the bugs that break down the slurry. When you spread raw slurry out onto the field it still hs to break down before the grass can use it.

The Mollasses trick is one that most waste water treatment plants use to break down slurry

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I have'nt bought molasses in years, what sort of price for a barrel would anyone know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Since molasses is 75% sucrose and 22% water, couldn't you use ordinary sugar instead? This can be bought cheaply in bulk from catering suppliers, so I wonder if it would be cheaper than molasses from the co-op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

It'sa few years since I got it too, there was molasses with whey, molasses with urea, and what I would have called pure molasses.

An ibc tank is the easiest way to get it, even if not filling .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I got a few small bits this year for a bullock that wouldn't eat ration and the local coop were 60c/l if you were only buying small amounts. They had an IBC in the yard for the purpose. I'd imagine that it would be a good deal less to buy in an IBC. Most around here used to go to the Premier Molasses depot in Foynes with their own barrels etc. Not sure if that option is still there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I hae used supersoil and here is my honest opinion. I put it on ground last year that got slurry ground PH was spot on and I have to say grass growth was very good and it got nothing else all year and I killed cattle off it. It was a great year for growing grass so jury is still out a bit. Got some this year and put in on ground that got no slurry, ph good in one field and ph not good in another. the field that the ph was wrong the grass growth was harmless.

If anyone thinks this is replacement for fertilzer then think again.Best fertilzer in the world it aint for me anyway. If I had wanted silage off the fields I sprayed Id be out of silage by december Id say. Have some more to spray again and will see but from my own no technial trialing ground where Ph is wrong forget about it. it dosnt grow like fertlizer it grows when conditions are ideal

• Advertisement

A lot depends also on the grasses. PRG certainly don't like a reduction in nitrogen as they are bred specifically for it. Annoyingly the MSS mix mandated by the Dept has 55% PRG.

Cut a field of red clover silage today. The main grass at this time of year in my mix is cocksfoot. Other species will take over later, timothy and fescues. It got untreated slurry in Feb, nothing else, I'm organic.

It would be impossible to know if an additive would have an effect, except by proper trials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Packrat

Have you heard anything about clover causing a problem in hay where animals bleed out internally due to warfarin in the clover?

It killed about 20 fine in lamb ewes on a lad I know a few years back. Took about 5 vets to diagnose it.

I'd go in for the clover scheme on an out farm but I want to make hay rather than silage bales there and don't want to cause a problem.

Also organic.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

I do know one has to be careful as it can effect the fertility in ewes. Haven't heard of your problem. Think I'd be cautious with sheep in general. Mighty stuff for cattle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

From what I heard the biggest problem in cattle was they were over fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Question for say or anyone else.

Have to spray super soil for a customer tomorrow or the next day. What weather conditions are required, dry with no rain forecast or can it be sprayed on damp grass??

Tried googling the data sheet for super soil, but as mentioned before, they don't advertise the essential information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭endainoz

If it's the same needed as the mixes say my name puts out, you'd want a non sunny day, with rain or rain on the way. Basically avoid hot days to give it a chance to work into the soil before it evaporates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We chose a paddock that had been grazed by pony over the winter so it was well clipped.

three test strips.

supersoil, milk and molasses and a control

two weeks in and no noticeable difference across the three areas.

keeping an open mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,833 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That would be a very tough trial on any biology or feed for biology.

The best results you'd get is when the field is humming. It keeps it humming. But if it's not. It won't start it off iykwim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Well the marketing and directions need to improve then. They are directly putting this up against fertiliser on all their advertising. Nowhere did I see it needs a good covering of grass to apply it on.

Someone I know was talking to the seller of this at a biofarm conference. Their impression of them. Was charlatan.

They must be getting it from somewhere else and just have gone blitz on the advertising.

I'm only a farmer who's tried out some stuff.

If it's clever marketing, rather than a quality product, it will do immense damage to those looking to solutions at lessening inorganic nitrogen use.

Start with the hard stuff. By hard I don't mean difficult but hard as is the basic elements.

Graduate through them and results will come. Use your detailed soil tests to see what's lacking and build up your micronutrients and use carbon and sugar sources with your N.

I'll insult everyone here. But feck it. There's some ...... who think results are instant. If your ground is not primed by farming to help biology in the ground it'll take years longer of doing the same thing to get results. 3 years is generally what I and others are seeing for it takes conventionally farmed ground to start to look after itself. But you do have to do all of the above to get there. And you'll still need maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

• Advertisement

Sugar and carbon - molasses.

Carbon with a humus element - humic and fulvic acid.

Pure carbon - liquid biochar.

The paddock I treated hasnt been farmed hard, no fertiliser, no spraying, no slurry in last 5 years.. Careful grazing and topping.. Has a decent diverse sward with a good deal of clover naturally present.. It was clipped a wee bit tight this spring with the pony though, I'll say that.

Horses are very tough on land. Between compaction and tight grazing. But that's generalisation.

You know the state of play yourself.

No you have to build up what microbes eat and vary as much as possible the nutrients and minerals in those.

Stud farms were the original users of calcified seaweed in this country.

Pesticides harm. You'd definitely need humates or humic acid to buffer that harm.

Include the molasses with that. If it was me seaweed would be in that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭greek88

Any lads here that actually used Supersoil and find it making a difference.

I did a field with the 100g bag back in may. 100g does 1 acre the field is 2acres. had the field soil tested back in Feb it was ideal for PH and needed some P and K, it got plenty slurry in feb March and again in April. it was grazed down tight and i applied the 100g to half the field.

Iv grazed the field twice since

Its now late august i was expecting to see a visible line up the middle of the field clearly showing the half that was done V the half that wasn't.

Field looks exactly the same you wouldn't even know i did it.

Unless this product takes a year or two to build up in the soil but i thaught id see some bit of a difference.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's ok they have the max strength version out now so it's obviously much better. A classic dodgy marketing tactic, oh and obviously they keep deleting all the negative comments on their posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭dmakc

Some neck on them. Capitalised on a year following record fert prices where everyone was on the lookout for alternatives

Just seen this tweet and this is an appropriate thread. And can confirm humic and fulvics are not snake oil.

Googling found the talk.

Tom Pemberton is very quiet on his usage of it. Would be brilliant if he said it was sh1te. I suspect though that we'll hear nothing more about it from him.

They were in contact again with Farm Theory to see if they could get him onside, but seemingly it just convinced him even more that it is junk.

Finnow farm on tiktok is just after doing a split trial application between SS and seaweed with fish.

Won't be a genius guess which will show the greatest difference.

Edit: I've a slow tik ........tok. He has already the results between the two posted.

It is really annoying me at the minute how they are able to sell this stuff in Ireland with nothing to back up the claims. I thought this type of thing was limited to late night American cable TV.

What's worse is that I was considering buying it too!

I'm in a few groups on WhatsApp and fb.

If you want to try a commercial biological product BAM from that company in the tweet above is getting good reviews worldwide. Otherwise you can make your own called Jadam microbial solution. Googling will get you the instructions on how to make or you can buy the Jadam book.

Don't get hung up either ways. Any start is better than none.

Edit: the BAM comes from the guy in the YouTube clip above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭jaymla627

He’d of got the product for free plus a few k for promoting it, if they threw him another few k he’d go and top up the fields with a bag of fert and then do a video rambling on about how good it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Led to believe with all these super microbe silver bullets in reality you need to spend a few years building a more suitable environment for your desired species as there’s a reason it’s not present currently, and then to get help get past the arms race of bio chemistry with what’s already there and establish itself you need a few hundred kg/ha of inoculant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Tom p’s target audience is people from town who don’t know anything about farming, not serious operators. Bit like grassmen’s for tennagers who’ve never spent 16hrs a day for a week bouncing about on the things donkey gets a horn looking at someone else working with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NAKM

Teagasc trials results. They found a loss on investment of -€173/ha. Whereas cattle slurry was +€219/ha.

I note they've another ad campaign on agriland pushing at the minute where a farmer went from 29 bales to 50

IWT this may indicate a change of direction in marketing. Looking to farmers who use little fertiliser. NAKM, could you please elaborate on the trial you quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Lol saw that nonsense, an advert disguised as an honest review

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Crops - Teagasc | Agriculture and Food Development Authority

Free dairy slurry seems to be the best option.

Thanks teagasc and farm theory on tiktok for bringing this to light, we're still eagerly awaiting Tom Pemberton's trial results.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Tom's one of the few to make massive profit per hectare off them #ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭cjpm

The advertising standards authority should be getting onto the “World’s best fertiliser” 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I messaged Tom a while back about updates on the super soil trial he did.

He wasn't impressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 The_Erection_of_Cass

How can this still be advertised so heavily still?

Agriland had a video up of a lad somewhere where he would only get 29 bales out of a lot and his contractor advised him to use supersoil and he got 50 bales.

Maybe the contractor played him like a fool he is and didn't pack the bales at all 😂

Advertisement