Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€1292 Ex VAT buys you 15kWh of batteries...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

How does 540rpm translate into engine revs?

Reminds me of Irish Rail 201 class locos which used to provide AC power for the Enterprise carriages via a Head End Power Alternator. The requirement to maintain 50Hz output meant that the locos would be at full bore all the time, even when when stationary on the platform. Needless to say after a loco fire they decommissioned the HEP system and salvaged some old Mk3 gen vans, repainted them into Enterprise livery and added one to each rake. 😂

Depends on the gearbox selected, (540, 540E, 1000). For the 540 and 1000 its rated at about 2000 rpm, More or less "full power" and depends on tractor

But in this use case, you'd use the 1000 box, and run at lower RPM about 1000ish, which is just above idle. Our "big" tractor (not that big on the grand scheme) has been tested to output 166hp (122kW) on the PTO, so running a 12kW would be easy for it.

We do have another issue, Our other yard is on a well, and that where the majority of our stock currently are. We've been filling the drinkers from an IBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I probably asked before but with the power cuts recently I might ask again. I have a 5kWh battery and a double socket on the system.

I don't have a change over switch but I presume there is a fireman switch in the attic.

What can I do if the power goes off? Can I power the fridge/freezer? Do the panels generate during a power cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭con747

You can power basics using the back up socket, but that sized battery will only keep light loads going nothing heavy like ovens or similar. You can use the panels to power as well but I think that was shown as against a regulation regarding the fireman switches so not 100% if you can do it any other way. I thought you doubled the battery size?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Thanks Con. It would only be for keeping the freezer going.

Family members without power for some time and it just got me thinking.

The backup socket will power that no problem once it's under a 3kW load on it. I used to use the kettle, toaster, and a portable hob all in sequence never at the same time! to make stuff and had the low powered stuff on as well like the router and cctv and tv with no problems before I got the second battery and change over switch.

Power back on, charging up to full!

Re backup socket

Yeah you can run whatever you plug into it.

You will be limited to either your inverter output or your battery output, whatever is lowest.

What does the change over switch actually do? Is it an automatic thing?

• Advertisement

Same here, have them set to be full before anything hits me tomorrow, I hope....

No, you can get automatic ones but they are expensive I think but I'm lucky enough to have my setup beside the consumer unit which is beside my kitchen so I can manually switch it on within about 30 seconds of an outage. I get a lot of them here and that's why I got it. I can run the whole house off it with enough power in the batteries but no heavy loads like the electric shower unless I just have it on the 1 element setting then the batteries can handle it but not with any other heavy load.

So the switch allows you to power the whole house from the batteries whereas I can only use the double socket?

This is it, I just have to flick the AC switch and the Brown switch down and the batteries kick in.

Bottom line, yes.

Edit

I should say though if you only have 1 battery as you said it won't last long unless you just use very light loads.

Great stuff and I can really see the benefits of it.

Invaluable for me, I have anywhere from 6 to 10+ power cuts yearly and I ran all day yesterday from 6pm until 4pm today on my batteries with some power left in them before power came back. Everything was on apart from the well pump and treatment system which I turned off because it can draw way too much if it's on regeneration.

That's a lot of power cuts. I am going to consider a change over switch next as I have some medical equipment that will be relying on more power as time goes on.

I must price one.

As others have said, you need to seriously beef up your battery (and probably inverter) or you can forget about a whole house changeover switch. You could of course have a separate essentials only (low power draw) circuit that would switch to battery in case the grid goes down. This could power internet router, TV, lights, fridge, medical equipment. But not the likes of shower, oven, kettle, toaster, dish washer, washing machine, dryer, etc. and you would have to remember not to plug in anything heavy like a hoover or coffee machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WillieN

Hi unkel. Anymore info on the above?….much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

the separate circuit is what i have.. can run up to 2400 watts and is protected by an rcbo.. you can boil a low watt kettle - i have a 900 watt one.. thats 1.7 litre (https://www.halfords.ie/camping/cooking-equipment/boil-it-kettle-240v%2F900w-1.7l-blue-cordless-483246.html) and takes about 15 minutes to boil but it works! you can run the toaster, nespresso machine as well.. worth running your appliances through an energy plug to check their usage.. also runs the microwave.. i just don't run multiple devices at the same time.. ive always the internet/router/wall light/tv running off this circuit.. i kinda wish id just run the lights off it as well but there's always other bits you can add as you go

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Hi.

Got my solar installation the other day. All going well so far. There are some optimisers going on this afternoon to some of the panels that will be shaded by a chimney at a certain point in the day.

My question is, is there any set up involved or how are they monitored? How will I know they are working?

Thanks.

Garret

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

Depends on the inverter and optimisers. I've Huawei and Installer needed to add them to the inverter portal. Panels were offline until then. As in they didn't just work.

In Huawei you can then see the individual panels that have optimisers amd see stats per panel. I have a few optimised but most aren't and don't need them.

Thanks. I have a solis inverter. Can't find much about optimisers and the solis inverter online. The installer said I didn't need to do anything so hopefully he's correct!

How is a circuit decided? Is it as simple as saying to the electrician put the downstairs sockets and lights on it?

We have a power shower rather than an electric shower but I wouldn't know what power it draws.

Yep, just ask them to put the circuits you want on it but as said keep the load within the capacity of your inverter and battery, check the shower by looking at the inverter the next time it's turned on to see how much it uses, you will see the spike in power.

Thanks this makes sense. I will definitely look at a few things to improve and upgrade it in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Keeping an eye out for an inverter at the moment. Is there any reasons (safety, infrastructural etc.) for not going for a three phase setup in a residential setting?

I have 16x 420W (~6Kw) panels that I awaiting a ground mount setup in a field beside my house. I would love the opportunity to expand to 10Kw if possible but understand would need to go the 3 phase route for this.

The wiring will go to a fusebox in the shed that will then go to a fusebox in the house.

I understand I need a 3 phase inverter and 3 phase fuse but not sure if any other roadblocks.

• Advertisement

Got my solar installation last week. 4kwp system with 5kwh battery. Battery charging on EV cheap rate at night and topping up during the day. All going great.

But I notice that sometimes, today being a great example the solar topped up the battery to 99% and then the rest was going back to the grid(1kw). But even while this was happening the battery was being used even though I had tonnes of solar. It discharged to 96% before beginning to be charged again.

Is this normal or is there perhaps a setting I am missing somewhere?

Thanks

Advertisement