Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's a blocking clause that will unfairly disrupt EU trade and could be seen as protectionist of Irish suppliers. We not talking cars here with left and right hand drive options etc. We're talking basic drink stuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's all to do with market size my man, will they be bothered with the extra costs for the relatively small Republic of Ireland market?

This is a retrograde step for Irish consumers, potentially narrowing the number of suppliers, reducing competition and push up prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

@bren2001 FWIW, I am not anti-green or anti-recycling, very much the opposite.

Re-turn plan to process up to 35,000 tonnes of waste, this plant needs only 15,000 tonnes to be viable. They have been in planning for 3 years, am sure the EU directive was signposting longer than that, and we have plastic recycling here for over 2 decades; really there is no excuse for the plant not to be there by now, never mind not yet even at the tender stage.

(To be totally fair, it may not be re-turn who is responsible for delivering a plant, but certainly the state is responsible for both re-turn and the new plant, maybe my criticism should be directed at the government. )

The government are imposing change on everyone else and telling us all about a 'circular' economy, but not delivering on their piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

In your opinion its a blocking clause. However, its simply not. An Irish supplier and a German supplier are treated the same.

If a German supplier wishes to not produce a custom barcode for Ireland, they are entitled to list their product on the Irish market with an international barcode. The product must still be registered with ReTurn but this will incur a slightly higher fee for putting the product on the market to counteract the increase in containers not bought in Ireland ending up in RVMs.

There's literally no block to trade. You want there to be so are manufacturing this into a bigger thing then it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I'm not against recycling or any positive change. I'm pro common sense.

We, the consumer, are essentially paying for this whole system – both financially (unclaimed deposits) and through the additional time and effort needed (collecting and returning items).

I expect that the amount of material intended for recycling in Ireland to be around the same. It’s just that a subset of the material will take a different path.

The existing recycling system is clearly not good enough (otherwise this scheme would not be needed). Remember that Joe Duffy listener last year that could track his recycling to the incinerator?

Anyways, this is us all about us meeting EU recycling targets. If they have it in Germany, sure we have to have it here. 🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i would disagree with that last part, if ReTurn did not make us pay for it i would have no issues or problems whatsoever.

if they accepted all cans and did not discriminate towards cans not having their logo i would also be happy.

Those are 2 things they could do or could have done, and i would not say they're wrong all. i would be as happy as larry with either. its quite disguisting that they want to demand free help with no actual interest in pro green stuff and only want numbers to show/hold up to the eu. its political virtue signalling at the cost of the public and the retailers, a little stunt at no expense to them.

The same was done with the whole electric prices going up thing due to ukraine thing, and a bunch of other times too, The public should not be forced to pay for the governments political beliefs or goals.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Meanwhile, the body behind all this hasn't secured a plant in the state to handle it all, and will presumably be exporting our waste until it does. Slightly undermines the green values if the waste has to be exported and the reimported in order to be 'circular'.

Exported, burnt, landfilled, hid behind the couch.

It doesn't matter as long as it is collected.

For the environment, innit?

He said their intention is to build a plant to recycle it. Until we can prove the system collects sufficient material to be recycled, building a site to recycle it would not make sense. If we did, you'd be up in arms about the money spent for something we don't have.

Its lose lose with yourself.

And thats not against EU law which you're trying to claim it is.

No, they probably won't be bothered with the extra paperwork. The actual cost is so small per bottle, its irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Recycling is virtue signalling now is it? We've just had a red alert storm followed by an orange alert storm in the space of 3 days and some people still don't think we need to do something to save the environment, hopefully this way of thinking is a select few

• Advertisement

I wonder if there might be scope for the existing bin companies to add an extra optional plastics / cans bin and accept non-crushed bottles, feed them into the same system and give you your deposits back credited to your bin account?

A lot of households are going to end up with a lot of need to store plastic bottles anyway - you might as well just get an extra wheelie bin and collect them if that's the way it's going to go.

I'm sure it's not beyond them to put them into a hopper and scan the barcodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The weather over the last few years has been far from normal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The conclusion in the consultation document is that there is no data to suggest that we can meet the target the current method.

houses having 5 bins is a lot. I’d prefer to chuck them in the RVM when I go to Aldi anyway.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I'd say must households will pop them in the shopping bag that they will use for the shopping, much handier than a 5th bin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

I don't think this would be practical and can't imagine it being worth the hassle for the bin company if it were practical. How much would you be willing to pay for such a service?

I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a demand for it. A lot of people aren't going to be all that keen on dealing with another chore. It's already the case that a % of households pay for glass collections, yet there are bottle banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

So are you saying there is a doubt the new scheme will be successful? That's nearly like a housing developer defending the decision not to build a sewage treatment system until there is certainty around how much sewage the residents will produce.

As the great Roy Keane might say "all credit to positive PR" but sometimes even the most ardent of supporter might accept there are weaknesses to be found in even the seemingly most perfect initiative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If I were paying extra for cans and bottles it would make me do more recycling and get money back and dropping off to get money back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

It just seems messier than collecting glass.

Say for example Thorntons collect your bin of recyclables. Empty it into a hopper. Hopper spits out some damaged bottles/cans. Where do they go?

Then the way the scheme is set up, Thorntons have to return yours and everyone else's empties to Re-turn to obtain the deposit. Then have to credit it back to you and your neighbours etc.

And while I agree that some people won't be bothered doing another chore there doesn't seem to be a practical way around it other than foregoing the deposit.

That logic is a bit twisted. There isn’t 100% certainty this scheme will work. Of course there isn’t.

Building a plant before we can demonstrate a functioning scheme would be a bit mad no? Our materials will be taken and processed overseas in a heatbeat due to the higher quality of material this scheme will gather.

Your analogy is stretching it a little…

There isn’t 100% certainty this scheme will work. Of course there isn’t.

That is some severe tune change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

So have we any idea what amount of recycling we are currently exporting? We are obviously going ahead with this scheme on the basis it will be successful in reaching a 90% collection/recycling rate. Presumably that is much higher than the current rate, otherwise why introduce this scheme? It would obviously be just as mad to go ahead and invest all that money in establishing this scheme if we didn't have a reasonable certainty it would achieve its goals. I think it's reasonable to apply the same criteria to the different issues.

The probability isn’t 1. That would be impossible.

Theres zero doubt in my mind and zero data to backup the argument it won’t work. Is the probability 1? No.

Theres zero change of tune.

There is reasonable certainty. If they built a plant today, I wouldn’t argue. However, it’s equally as logical to wait. Show that we do generate gather the right type and volume of material and then decide if we want to build a plant.

Sending it overseas is a perfectly viable thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

How could anyone know if it will be a success or failure since the powers that be decided a trial was below them.

I personally think the whole thing is bonkers and, after lengthy discussions here, nothing more than a bean counting exercise with regular people yet again carrying the burden to satisfy some bs directive.

They haven't bothered sourcing a way to recycle these because they don't have to.

It's a counting exercise, nothing more.

Because there’s sufficient evidence from other schemes not to do one.

I don’t know how you would even structure a trial for this.

• Advertisement

That’s your opinion. The CEO of ReTurn said different on Claire Byrne.

The target is a collection rate. You keep harping on about that except when it comes to your bogus claim of conclusive data. Then you change your tune.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement