Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

International Karate Plus

I think I played it on Amstrad

Edit ... googled a video ... Yep ... And there was a sub game where you had to deflect balls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually got legitimately good with Eddy just because of the PS1 demo disk, but yeah it's amazing how much of a meme Eddy Gordo became for being the prime example of button-mashing in a fighting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And those trick balls which would start with a low bounce then hit you high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Anyone watching the State of Play? Stellar Blade not doing it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dave The Diver coming to PlayStation on April, **** yes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

But Godzilla coming to Dave the Diver? Yes please.

Wtf new silent Hill game that's free to play that's available now??? Looks scary as **** as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can keep talking, Eddy players will always be scrubs to me.😝

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This looks like something you'd get off a mate on a burned cd in 1999

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, if you ever doubted Bloober Team are 100% the wrong team to remake Silent Hill 2, their first gameplay showcase - which looks very ropey - is officially dubbed a 'Combat Reveal Trailer'.

I'd be more worried about the writing and bloobers past efforts on dealing with mental Illness. Combat was always ropey in silent hill.

My main thought watching that trailer last night was "How the hell are you meant to headshot enemies? That's b*tch's legs go all the way up to her legs!"

The gunplay looked awful and equally the mash x to 'something' the thing trying to rub off you. That big mashing x in the middle of the screen just undoes the horror that you're supposed to be feeling. Other than that, walking around and the environments look great but yeah, sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Bloober seems to get a lot of hate online for some reason. I played Medium and honestly didn't get the 'they want mentally ill people to kill themselves!' angle that some people seem to be ranting about.

Also, when the Ukrainian invasion started, they were offering paid internships to Ukrainian developers and help with sorting out documentation and accommodation along with blocking their sales to Russia. They seem like a decent enough outfit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Their games are just consistently mediocre (Observer excepted, which I haven't played but has a slightly better rep than their other games) and fairly hoary as far as their take on the horror genre goes. Fair play to them for finding success and any positive things they've done as a company, but as a game studio or collection of creatives they seem ill-equipped to tackle what could be described as the canonical psychological horror video game.

It wasn't so much mentally ill people should kill themselves but more mentally ill people aren't worth saving or deserve help. There's no nuance in it and that ending didn't sit right with me for that reason.

Devs can get better and I'd welcome being pleasantly surprised by silent hill 2 but going by past experience their games are not great especially in the writing department. The Medium was a step up from layers of fear which honestly utter trash but the medium still wasn't great with a lot of issues.

• Advertisement

Even the hardcore Silent hill streamers are worried about that trailer. Combat looks awful, janky at best

Lots of them highlighting the nurse doing the generic third person shooter cover vault.

Funny review of AC Mirage on Amazon

"I seem to buy these for my husband every Christmas and then it takes him til about the following Christmas to complete.

It’s a definite yes from me.. if you like that sort of thing, or simple just want ti keep the husband quiet for a bit whilst you do your own thing. 😅"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Last of Us 2 actor told that not only did she get death threats - but her newborn son as well.

How does one's headspace get to that point where you'd threaten someone's son, just because an actor voiced a character you didn't like? I never subscribed to the whole "video games make you violent", but shít like this gives me pause & wonder about the emotional health of these folk.

These are the anti trans morons that vote trump and conservative. That's all you need to know about their empathy for their fellow man.

Good thread from a previous Blizzard employee on how he was treated at Blizzard in his last few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

A reason to turn on my ps5 is thwarted by the fact I am played it to the death.

Just kidding its an incredible game and should absolutely be cross platform

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As someone without a Twitter account, and since Musk's reign you can only see the post if you're lucky, is there any "thread merger" still out there to read the whole thing? Wish the guy just wrote a medium article like normal people lol.

Sorry, used to be the case where one of the first replies would be someone asking a bot to collate the thread into one post, but since Musk you have to sift through a load of Twitter Blue subscribers nonsense posts first. Found one further down the line though, if it doesn't work let me know and I'll copy&paste the thread.

The release of one of their games used to be an event. I can't care about their output now.

• Advertisement

Rolled credits on RDR2. I'm 5 years late to the debate, but add me to the one of the greatest games of all time camp.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Absolutely, it's essentially to link it to RDR1 and complete the story. I played that back in the day but might have to play it again now. Might need a break for a while though because it'll be a step back from RDR2 graphically. 30fps would put me right off.

I bought RDR1 (Xbox) after RDR2. It's 4K 30 on OneX/SeriesX. But never got around to play it much. And now the PS5 has a 60 FPS version of the game. So I'll probably play it there one day unless rockstar do same for Xbox.

Yeah I just looked into it thinking it might have got fps boost on xbox. Seems they ported it to PS4/5 and boosted it to 60fps but xbox got left out because it already ran under back compat.

I don't have a PS5 and sold my PS4 when Sony started porting to PC.

There is a 60fps mod for it on the Nintendo emulators and the emulators can already boost resolution out of the box. So that would give me 1440p/60fps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I've not long started it, must stick it on here for a while. Enjoying it so far, looks great graphically.

I've read people hated the epilogue but even though i was a bit burnt out by the end of the main story, i absolutely loved playing out John's beginning. Building the house, Jesus, just quality.

I loved it too. One of my favourite chapters in the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I loved it too, thought it was a work of art, beautiful game, never understood the hate it got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I loved it as it gave me the expectation that Rockstar would redo the first one in the RDR2 engine. Boy was I disappointed when they released that low effort port. It should have been done like RDR2 and released as DLC. Should have learned my lesson with GTAV.

I don't think people really hated the game, just that it wasn't the GTA Wild West a lot of people incorrectly expected. And it's no doubt one of the finest games crafted, but it's not without its flaws, with the slow travel even after end game being a major one. Great if you love getting lost in the world, but not everyone does. I'm so thankful of the decent fast travel in Skyrim. If RDR2 had a lot more fast travel points, regardless of how immersion breaking it may be, I may have played a lot more of it after end game. And still no single player DLC, but that's expected at this stage tbh.

All these decisions are stopping me from getting on the GTA6 hype train. I know it's gonna be a great game, they do deliver when they try. But recent decisions on zero to low level re-release efforts, and strict concentration on online modes for the ADHD generation, when proper re-releases should be done by a company that big and with that much money... The money has ruined them. Hopefully the apparant failure of Suicide Squard will turn heads back towards strong single player content like Sonys first part studios are doing, and doing exceptionally well. I was never big into the "make your own fun" multiplayer/co-op recent games, give me a story to play out. The market is still there, but Rockstar are gone too greedy to care. GTA6 will be their launch platform for GTA Online 2.0.

• Advertisement

The slow travel is intentional. The game is meant to be at a slower pace to give a feel for the time period and wild west location.

There is a photographer in one of the towns that lets you pick a background for for your portrait. It's basically a giant painting behind you that you use a lever to change. When you pull the lever it takes ages to change as it winds down the next background. I thought this was class. I can see it annoying people because it's so slow.

If you're not into the slow pace then this is not a game for you. When I first played it on release I didn't have the time to put in long sessions. 20-30 min gaming sessions isn't enough. You'll find yourself spending most of that time traveling to your next destination and barely having time to do a single mission.

You need to put in at least 1-2 hour sessions, relax, take your time and enjoy what is a master piece and a work of art.

I think there's a balance between being intentionally slow paced and keeping gameplay flowing, and I think they got that balance wrong in too many areas. There are so many needless systems, animations and just generally stuff that work against you for the sake of realism to the point where it becomes more of an annoyance than immersion. Stuff like when you're on a long horse ride (of which there are many due to the lack of fast travel), Arthur will randomly put large weapons like a rifle in his horse saddlebag, meaning if you get into a firefight or get off the horse and forget to take it with you, you don't have it. I don't want the character to unequip my favoured weapon due to realism. I don't care if he does the video game thing of having a whole arsenal of weaponry in his back pocket that he can access at any time.

Then you have cleaning your horse, feeding your horse, cleaning and feeding yourself for health, and for stamina, and for deadeye (all with a multitude of different inventory items which just clog up the inventory system). Weapon maintenance, camp upgrading, animal hunting, and so many animations for absolutely everything, like opening every press and searching every downed enemy.

It's all hugely, hugely impressive. But God it can also be so f*cking tedious at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And I did all that, but when there's no longer a story to keep me going, the exploration gets boring very quick without fast travel. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of my playthrough, but the slow pace at end game stopped me enjoying it then.

I also prefer games where you feel like you've actually done something by the end. Didn't get that in RDR2. Felt like I needed to play RDR1 again to get the "true" ending, but they ruined any hope of that with what they gave us instead. I think it also comes down to how I prefer fun over reality. Rockstar have been going for reality over fun imo, and while some people love that (I assume the same people who love the, ahem, gameplay in Death Stranding) that's great, but they're not for me. God of War, for all it's attempts to try and make a god killing psychopath more relatable and realistic, was still fun, but that's also the setting. GTAV was still fun but stepped back from the realism of IV. I've played every GTA at least twice, I've played RDR1 three times over the years. I've little to no interest in playing RDR2 again... Maybe in RDR3 they'll go back further again to the beginning of the cowboy era. The realism then will be great fun I'm sure! Kinda want old Volition to make their version of RDR now.

The slowness isn’t the issue I have with RDR2. I want games that move at a calm, considered pace.

The problem with RDR2 is that it’s slow in frustrating, irritating ways. Like it makes you go through a whole rigmarole to prepare or eat food, in the name of realism. And yet you’re still a video game superman who can take countless hits, and the food is ultimately just tweaking glorified video game health meters. It just takes ten times as long as most games for the same end result. It has dreams of being something grander and deeper, but without the courage to fully commit to the bit. It’s a game that wants to be the ultimate in video game immersion, but ironically I felt less immersed in it than most games because of how contradictory and intrusive all the attempts at faux realism were. That and the **** endless GTA3 tutorial boxes.

It’s an incredible technical achievement of a game, rich in peerless technical execution, that is deeply, deeply annoying as an actual video game. It’s one of the only games I’ve ever played that felt like a 60-hour tutorial for a freeform, emergent video game that never actually arrived: a stunningly rendered open world but missions that want to be a cinematic, highly choreographed, linear story game. It’s a fundamental contradiction that for me the game never came close to resolving. So many systems and ideas that never coalesced into a successful whole, and crucially one that ultimately felt like it was repeatedly and aggressively wasting my time for no worthwhile goal.

Sorry for the Sunday rant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

I enjoyed my time with the game. It was weird though playing the beginning of RDR at the end. I suppose I could have restarted RDR as I owned it from backwards compatibility on Xbox but never bothered in the end.

Also there was the massive area of the first game in the second game that was never used in the main story. I played a tiny bit of online in RDR2 and you started in that area but it is weird to have the area and never use it.

Jeez lads/lasses, dont be such party poopers.

I loved everything. Skinning the animals, setting up camp, cooking the meat, cleaning my guns. I didn't feel it was all about realism. It's not trying to be.a sim. It's to do with pace.

Nakey Jakey had a great point about it. If you turn off the minimap and try to do missions by using the road signs and scenery to find out where you're going, it becomes incredibly immersive and rewarding but rockstar awful mission design wrecks it by making you complete missions on very precise ways like, for example, "dump the body". He tried for ages to dump it in hidden trees, swamp, etc but no joy. Had to turn on the map to find an exact little circle on the map where it had to be dumped sir no particular reason.

Watching his vid, i was tempted to reinstall it and try without the map but that ruined it for me. Also agree with the above, it got in its own way too much with way too many sub systems. Also, could take a leaf from cyberpunk when your driving on a story mission and the people stop talking, you can choose to skip the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I remember for a while on tiktok I was getting a lot of videos of secrets in RDR2, about being in a certain place at certain times of following hints about what people say etc. The map is chock full of interesting things. But it was always just the systems of the game that put me off exploring and playing after I finished the story because it felt so laborious and tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Liked the RDR2 epilogue, it was nice and relaxed after the big main Arthur ending.

Main memory is almost dying after going into the water the first time into epilogue to get an animal carcass as unlike Arthur you can't swim with John as he couldn't in RDR1.

Advertisement