Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,730 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Waffle.

Condemnation had to be squeezed out of some here and only when they had no other option. And I never said that anyone was a bad person.

I didn't see your post on how they should be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

The Irish Government id '' strongly considering intervening in the ICJ case against Israel ''.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0123/1428075-ireland-israel/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It isn't. If you're okay with people very casually and more so callously writing off the lives of women and children as the cost of war and not actually taking a step back and seeing that it's a mass , and mostly indicrominate slaughter of civilians then that says more about you.

We had people exclaiming 50 dead civilians was fine if there was a Hana's fighter there, and acting like they were both munitions experts with further expertise in civil engineering too. Many of the posts that were no more than gloating (and not trying to hide in the above bullshit) were removed, so you're very far off.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

I’ll just have to disagree with you , Weepsie.

There is a world of difference between accepting the enevitability of civilian casualties in a densley populated war zone and the barely disguised glee that was posted.

This isn’t some game of football where the goals are to be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 you_talking_to_me

While all eyes are on Khan Younis it seems Hamas and other groups are regrouping for the new reality in the north, or what’s left of at this stage. The limited videos coming out are like something out of an end of days movie but do show incredible resilience from the Gazans and it’s staggering that so many people are still living in what are absolutely hellish conditions. They’ve nowhere else to go I suppose.

The reported rejection of the latest peace offer by Hamas doesn’t strike me as a regime under pressure to concede and give up and they still think they have something worth fighting for however much the odds are stacked against them. Israeli injuries on the battlefield must surely be in the thousands too at this stage.

Still no hostages found, still the 3 most sought after leaders of Hamas free. All roads do seem to lead to Khan Younis right now and maybe that breakthrough is just around the corner, who knows. Very soon you’d think the Israeli public in increasing numbers will begin asking their leaders where exactly this is going and what is a realistic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

1. 11,000 dead children in 4 months is not inevitable
    2. Using 2000lb dumb bombs with a kill radius of 400m is disproportionate
    3. The US have pulled up Israel on the civilian death toll
    4. Israel admitted to using the wrong munitions
    5. No-one exhibited barely disguised glee
    6. You called me "stupid", "full of bile" and crass. You called another poster an "eejit". You get the respect you deserve. I thought "tulip" was very mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So your considered opinion would be that's perfectly possible to believe that a poster is "happy for the war to continue and more children to die" (your words) without that signifying that that poster was a bad person?

What would it take for you to think they were a bad person? Would they have to actually kill children themselves?

Personally, if I thought anyone "was happy" for children to die, I'd consider that person to be a really bad person. In fact I'd consider them to be a psychopath. Wouldn't you?

Or are you well aware that your "opinion" is nonsensical and just an attempt to sneak in a bit of abuse at posters who disagree with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,518 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

We don't know because there's no journalists there reporting on it

Some of the glee in relation to the IDF deaths was not even disguised “The only good one is a dead one” was one comment. You simply do not see similar comments against Gazans on this thread.

I did not call you stupid or crass, I was referring to your comments. There is a clear difference.

We know nothing of the posters that we are dealing with and should treat them with due respect. I once made a personal swipe at another poster, and was reprimanded. I accept that it was the wrong thing to do and make sure to only engage with the material posted and not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I do wonder what the Israeli state has to do for people to stop supporting or justifying their actions. I simply cannot understand how anyone thinks what is happening is proportionate, reasonable or measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I said I didn't call anyone a 'bad person'. I might have thought they were but I didn't call them that. Are you also a mindreader? You are fond of the 'nonsense' word aren't you. Do you think calling what people think 'nonsense' is abuse too?

Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭volchitsa

And I didn't say you said it either, so what's your point?

Because my point is simple: when someone says, as you did, that it's reasonable to infer that another poster "happy for the war to continue and more children to die", then there are only two possible conclusions from that: either you think that poster is a psychopath, or you don't believe your own claim about what it would be reasonable to infer from the poster's opinions.

Doesn't matter whether you actually pronounced the word "psychopath" or not.

EDIT: Actually wait: there's a third option: you might think that it's perfectly acceptable for someone to want war and to be happy for children to die. IMO that's a psychopathic opinion to hold though, so I'm fairly sure you don't actually think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

When it's at the stage of them intentionally killing children, destroying residential buildings, destroying schools and universities, destroying multiple hospitals and desecrating multiple graveyards, among other things, and people are still excusing what's going on and lashing out at anyone who thinks actions like this are beyond the pale. The answer to that question is, fcuked if I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I don't think its fair to say people are happy that kids are dying. They just seems to be indifferent when people qoute the 10k casualty figure and just shrug it off as collateral damage. I just believe they think the ends justify the means. They are not psychopathic just indifferent.

And how could I forget the targeting assassinations of alarmingly high numbers of journalists. Because killing journalists is an action that's perfectly normal to be carried out by a democratic state. No doubt it happens here all time, like we were told before about the Gardaí routinely stripping and publicly humiliating people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

Under international law, It is perfectly reasonable for a country that has been attacked to respond to such an attack and act to eliminate an (ongoing) threat to itself.

In the case of the current conflict, the Palestinian side in Gaza has been repeatedly offered a ceasefire and, apart from on one occasion, has rejected the offers (including as recently as yesterday), so regrettably it appears that the conflict will continue.

I checked back the last 3 pages but didn't see "the only good one is a dead one" comment. If that was said, that was disgusting. You might quote it to avoid your post being called a lie.

"Your comments on the subject show crass stupidity and blind hatred."

Anyone with a basic grasp of English comprehension knows that the above is a personal attack.

And you might respond to my evidence (the other bullets) that rebuts your inevitability comment.

I don't think they're psychopathic, which makes it even worse because if they were at least the inability to empathise would explain why they think like that. The fact that it seems like they just couldn't care less makes their outlook more cold and inhumane.

Of course I didn't say the poster was a psychopath and i might or might not have thought he was. However I didn't call him a psychopath but I did say that he seemed to be happy for the war to go on. My opinion and not garnered entirely from that post. Back to your calling people's posts 'nonsensical' as you've used that 3 or 4 times recently.

If you read international law, it doesn't say what you think it says. Certainly the ICJ and the ICC would call bullshti.

You gonna have to provide sources for your second para.

"Israel's rejection of the idea of a two-state solution with the Palestinians is unacceptable and could prolong the war in Gaza, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said."

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭scottser

You're more put out by my calling someone a tulip when that very same tulip cheers on a genocide.

In life, you get the respect you deserve and he deserves none.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I haven't seen any comments like that. But I have seen several comments from supporters of the Israel regime, to the effect that all residents of Gaza are legit targets as they may potentially be Hamas in the present, past or future. Genocidal rhetoric.

• Advertisement

It was one of Carlo Brigante’s posts. I have misquoted them, but the sentiment is right there.

It was not a personal attack. My grasp of English comprehension is fine. I was commenting on what you wrote. One should be able to distinguish between a criticism of what you are saying and of you personally.

Advertisement