Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There is also the fact that GOP mouthpieces will twist themselves into extreme contortions rather than admit a moment of error/weakness on the part of their god-King.

See Elise Stefanik (someone who Trump hasn't even bothered to learn how to say her name properly) utterly debase herself trying to defend when Trump said that Nikki Haley was in charge on security on January 6th when the lie he was trying to make was that Nancy Pelosi was in charge of security (She wasn't as has been proven over and over again).

According to her, he MEANT to say that as a way of showing how "in the pocket of the Democrats" Nikki Haley is.

That's pathetic , nothing more nothing less.

We can argue about whether what Trump said was just a "flub" because he's under pressure and tired etc. or whether it's a sign of a more serious cognitive issue but what we can all say with absolute certainty was that he made a mistake and he didn't "mean to say it like that".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a grossly reductive insult to septuagenarians such that I'd wonder if you actually know any? Best not Google what age David Attenborough is though by way of example; or indeed Bernie Sanders if we wanna keep things related to US Politics; not if you think hitting 70 flips some switch that renders basic articulation and coherence null and void. I've listened to @looksee 's embedded Tweet a few times and I still have no idea what he's talking about; context might be a bit lost but eve accounting for that Trump's comments are just rambling nonsense - and not the result of simple ageing.

Don't try and shut down debate about the ... well, cognitive decline of a candidate with some affected concern for Trump's health; it's pretty pertinent, especially when it's pretty easily shown how a formerly coherent, relatively lucid individual is now babbling like he has lost his mind. See, here you go: he was never especially intellectual but he spoke calmly and with no demonstrable inability to express himself or put two thoughts together..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

She is reading a speech prepared for her by her team of speechwriters, thats not a test of verbal ability.

A wordsmith she is not.

Even the great Orator himself Barack Obama only had a small hand in his speeches

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Oh look, any chance to take a dig at Democrats from the poster who pretends not to be a partisan rapist defender. And when have you ever jumped in to comment on the drivel coming out of Trump?

It is a test of verbal ability that she can deliver the speech, a test Trump is regular failing. Trump simply wouldn't be able to deliver a speech like that. He can't even deliver a soundbite anymore without embarrassing himself.

So is Trump a wordsmith then? Or is the drivel coming out of his mouth all his own?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump has always "rambled" quite a bit in his speeches , tending to go off on tangents quite regularly, but they would be mostly coherent (or at least a contiguous thought) and he would get to a point of sorts - not the point he started out to make , but a "point" none the less.

But what we are seeing lately appears quite different - The tangents are still there , but there are no contiguous thoughts and he never gets anywhere , he just trails off before picking up a new and unrelated thread to tug on for a while before his mind wanders again.

It could be just the unrelenting pressure he is under (all entirely self-inflicted mind you) rather than an actual underlying medical issue , but something is making him behave the way he is , and it's behaviour that is not normal or indeed acceptable for someone seeking the highest office.

• Advertisement

Don't try and shut down debate about the ... well, cognitive decline of a candidate with some affected concern for Trump's health; it's pretty pertinent, especially when it's pretty easily shown how a formerly coherent, relatively lucid individual is now babbling like he has lost his mind. See, here you go: he was never especially intellectual but he spoke calmly and with no demonstrable inability to express himself or put two thoughts together..

The irony of this statement.

That clip is 25 years old.

What about the visible cognitive decline of Biden, any mention of that on the Biden thread is taboo.

Both candidates are sadly shadows of the men they were, its no fun getting old.

That clip of Trump is interesting, he is quite humble in it, and honest.

I guess that was Trump the man as opposed to Trump the persona, the one he adopted to enter politics.

I'd much prefer to see that original side of Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's the point. Trump 25 years ago could at least construct basic sentences. Now, he can barely say his own name.

Can you really do no better than the both sides crap? Really?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump supporters suddenly become so sensitive to the tragedy of senile dementia when the suggestion is made about their man.

As Bill Burr (whose wife, Nia, recently gave Trump the finger at a UFC event) said, "If you're doin' it too, quit your cryin'. Quit your cryin'"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How many times have I posted in the Biden thread? I'm not interested in a whatabout segue about what goes on elsewhere in corners I don't particupate in, or whatever you class as irony.

I do indeed think Biden is too old - but I don't think he's in cognitive decline. I think Trump is also too old - and in increasingly self-evident cognitive decline ala Mitch McConnell; there's the difference for you to chew on. What galls though is that the Biden "he's senile" has been seen as a legitimate attack point by some, yet once the table turns witness the Sealion defence of "how very dare you"? Therein lies the irony.

And farts are funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Oh look, another scurrilous dig at Biden and yet no similar digs at Trump. You're making your partisan defence of the rapist ever more obvious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Once again you seem to have a lot of affection for Trump in spite of the fact he's a rapist. Referring to him as "humble", no less. Let's just remember the clip was around that same point where he raped Carroll.

There's a reason for that.

Any time the rapist is criticised, the Trumpsters immediately play the both sides and whataboutery cards. It's rather tedious, frankly.

I've stopped touching that thread.

As for Biden, I'd say there's been a bit of decline. There usually is with ageing but I'm no expert. The difference is that Biden seems to enjoy reading and exercise so he naturally looks better. Trump on the other hand believes in the human battery theory and is perpetually stuffing himself with takeaways and diet coke.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,401 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

She's a centrist don't you know, despite taking every opportunity to defend trump and criticise Biden

Yes, dead give away from Trump defenders that they never miss an opportunity to defend Trump, attack Democrats, and the most that will ever be dragged out of them anyway negative to Trump is a grudging both sides or whataboutery. Final proof they are pro Trump disproving any claims to the contrary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ah c'mon, we get them as quick as we can but give me 30 seconds at least before you dive in and start feeding them 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Trump has been struggling for a while now, there seems to be semi regular gaffes.

I assume he’s going to be heavily stage managed - most of what he says will be through Twitter being written by someone else, and a debate will be out of the question.

On a side note I find it bizarre that someone running for president can just nope out of events like these - these are supposed to be beneficial to the American public and can inform their vote, it should be a requirement of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,401 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"can inform their vote"

To be fair, whoever is voting for Trump at this stage knows exactly what they are signing up for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Oh sure, Trump supporters wouldn’t be influenced at all, but anyone else who’s on the fence, typically republican but unsure about Trump or people who think Biden is to old and doddery etc

The candidate should be required to stand up, explain why he’s better than the opposition on a wide variety of topics and challenge the opposition on his policies, all in a live environment. But Trump won’t do it because he’s well aware(or his team are at least) that any public appearance that they don’t have near total control over will be bad for his chances.

It will be interesting to see what the turn-out is like in New Hampshire today for the GOP Caucus.

The Iowa turn-out was shockingly bad , but the bad weather likely played a decent sized role in that.

Only 15% of registered Republicans turned up to vote which is less than half of the typically already poor turnout.

There just seems to be much lower levels of enthusiasm for Trump this time out. I mean the MAGA loons are still there , but it just seems like the rest of the GOP voter base is kinda bored with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

If it's a repeat of the 2020 candidates, it's probably going to be one of the least energetic campaigns of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There's 2 threads for this about Biden, the Presidency thread and the Cognitive thread.

Why are you using neither? just wondering. That is, if you're not just bullshitting about the blubbering mess thing. Which you very much are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Donnie has to pay 400k in legal fees for NYT and their journalists he tried to sue for publishing stories about his business practices

"Was ordered to pay"

Will he or his estate or wherever he gets money from these days actually pay any of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,548 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did Trump actually sign over his business to his kids when he became president?

If he did does anyone know if they were signed back to him when he lost the election?

If the companies are still in the kid's name's can he just declare bankruptcy again to get out of paying all these court fines.

He has been declared bankrupt what 6/7 times already in his lifetime.

• Advertisement

@MrAnarchy

Don't try and shut down debate about the ... well, cognitive decline of a candidate with some affected concern for Trump's health

I doubt most of us are particularly concerned about Trump's health. If health issues force Trump to withdraw from public life or if they in fact kill him, that would be a net positive for the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement