Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I’ve edited my comment. You won’t convince me about schemes abroad being sufficient evidence in the Irish context.

Not good enough for a scheme of this size and impact on people in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

nothing more than a bean counting exercise with regular people yet again carrying the burden to satisfy some bs directive

A directive we could have opted out of if we could show by 2026 we had a collection rate of plastic bottles of 78%.

Just for clarity no one knows our current collect rate. Could be 85%.

So if the target is collection rate then this really has zero impact on the environment right? Even more so when you include the machines, the daily collections and all the additional car journeys to the machines.

It's not my opinion, unless he has read different directives to me.

So what is the stated recycling rate of plastic bottles that we have to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭gipi

The machines were trialled in some shops around the country. My local Tesco extra had RVMs in operation towards the end of last year.

5c vouchers were issued for bottles and cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

CEO of ReTurn said around 60% today. He a liar?

i

is there any data to show what percentage of plastic is the bottles(PET)? I really do wonder is it just a fart in the wind or what.

So our collection rate is the same as our recycle rate?

Germany is at 98%. If that doesn’t convince you, nothing will. You’re entitled to your opinion and youre also stuck with the new system.

If it’s a failure, I’ll eat my humble pie. If it’s a success, then the lack of a trial is justified.

I don’t see what needs to be trialled. It’s fairly well thought out system where not a lot can go wrong. You can trial Irish buy in imp.

I did see some of the machines - I was unaware it was related to this scheme though - are you sure it was? Would be nice to see they actually tested the idea.

• Advertisement

Listen to the interview. I’m not presenting the facts, to my memory, that’s what he said. Feel free to listen yourself and determine if

a. I made a mistake (I well could have, I listened to it 7 hours ago)

b. He’s a liar

Leaning on your knowledge of this here - will we have a total number of cans and bottles put out into the market also?

Assuming we have to to know how many are collected or does that trigger when the retailers sell them?

I’m not sure I understand the question.

yes, we will know the total number of containers that are sold in Ireland. ReTurn will have the total sold and the total returned.

That’s it - any idea how that number is found? Just curious no critique on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some Lidl shops ran trials too.

It seems that Irish people can do what is required to make Return work.

I see no reason to believe that they won't do it when the system goes live.

You want me to back up your claim?

You do know you do not have to parrot or defend everything that squirts out of Re-Turn HQ, right?

Every time a container is sold you give Aldi (for example) 15c. Aldi then give ReTurn 15c. You then bring your bottle to Dunnes and they give you 15c back, that’s from ReTurn.

The actual flow of money in reality may differ.

In effect, every time you buy a container, the shop will tell ReTurn. Every shop will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

No, i'm not saying recycling is virtue signalling. i'm saying "pretending to be pro-environment while at the same time wasting electric, keeping the machines turned on weeks before actually using them feb 1st, footing the bill for this scheme of theirs to the retailers and the consumers, and claiming to want to do this just to have the recycling numbers upped, to wave in the face of the EU, and to look good in the eyes of other countries while actually not caring about recycling at all. just doing it all for PR reasons" is what i'm calling their virtue signalling.

was just saying overall and attempting to point out how the buisnuess side of "green echo friendly" is kinda shady and not genuinely ever in best interests or concerns of the environment and usually their participation is PR stunt at best.

You get the same lark and kind of carry on all the time in businuess where they pretend to be pro-green or pro whatever for PR reasons, but then their actions show they're just doing this to pander to people who are into that sort of thing, and to look good in their eyes. you even get it mentioned as a selling point on things like dragons den.

Business Example: less materials on/for packaging = pro green and better for environment. real reason = because its cheaper or more profit made from it. And appeals to people into that sort of thing.

this shows more that its really pro buisnuess and pro money over being pro-green.

It's a green initiative for sure. i'm not saying they're not pro-green, i'm saying they are other things BEFORE being pro-green. It seems more like a numbers game than anything. i see it with alot of things in business, including using cheaper packaging or recycled materials or irish grown products or cruelty free ethical farming, vegan, buy local, irish produce and other gimmicks. Just feels dishonest and misleading. The conflict of interest is far too often covered up, i think its just fair to point out that they're not fully pro-green with the electric example, even though its minuscule its the principle and shows contradiction.

Basically using a whole pro-green facade to up the numbers on recycling or recycled units to reach the target goal and wave the results in the face of the EU. But not really wanting to pay for it and making other people do all the work.

Pandering for Profit

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

I’ve told you where to find it. That’s me telling you where I heard it. That’s backing up my claim. You don’t need your hand held to listen to an interview.

What I’m hearing is your criticising ReTurn despite not having listened to the interview. Thats wilfully not educating yourself on the topic.

I listened to the head of communications last week tell us the EU are forcing us to recycle 90% of our plastic bottles.

I was good enough to link the interview.

I posed the question why is she openly telling untruths.

You didn't respond.

But you want me to respond to your claim that the CEO is doing similar?

• Advertisement

exactly! they just want to up their numbers thats all. they're virtue signalling as a goal, via results of other peoples work (the public) is their intention. they dont really care about recycling at all, the company are too greedy to bother cleaning the cans themself and don't wish to pay anyone to do it, they want quick easy money recycleables put straight into their hands for free without having to do any work.

if they honestly did care about recyling theyr wouldnt descriminate against recyling "other" cans, and force a deposit from us.

they just want the "easy quick money" recyclables, not the plastic from shampoo bottles, milk, tinned food, sprays and other things.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

my opinion: the trial is better than the real thing, atleast with the trial we got some reward/incentive. AND it didnt cost extra on the intial purchase of the bottles/cans. BRING BACK THE TRIALS!!

I provided the link earlier in the thread. You’re well capable of scrolling up.

I couldn’t answer your question, so I didn’t. I’ve long acknowledge your belief it’s a collection target.

It’s up to you if you want to listen to the interview. I’ve been clear that it’s very possible I’m mistaken in what I heard. I’ve told you where I heard it, that’s all I need to do to “back something up”.

I don’t know what back and forth you want here. Listen to the interview or don’t. I’m not doing it for you. I listened to it around 11:00/12:00. It’s really not hard to prove me wrong on this. Ive given you the evidence but you want a pointless back and forth here.

i want to hear you talking bad about the scheme or atleast bashing it in some way if i'm being entirely honest.

The trials was far much better than the real thing and less discriminatory towards cans. The downside is only a max of €2 worth of deposits per voucher, and 1 voucher per transaction i think? either way the scheme is bonkers

although that being said, i may have a little scheme or two of my own

It’s inconvenient and indirectly will cost people money (a very small amount).

I also think it’s the most feasible solution. It will work so I don’t have many negatives to say.

yes it will work, but is it fair? what those aldi/lidl/dunnes trials offered. Seemed far more fair than the current feb 1st scheme. AND they did'nt up the prices of all the cans/bottles they sold for the scheme. And they didnt need a logo.

Now They litrely want the easy money grab recycleables but none of the other recycleables that require effort. We're handing them free money they just want the "easy quick money" recyclables, not the plastic from shampoo bottles, milk, tinned food, sprays and other things.

is it really all about recycling? or just a numbers game? or just something they're doing to reach a target goal to wave in the face of the EU?

I’ve long acknowledge your belief it’s a collection target.

It's neither my belief or my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not lying, but sticking his finger in the air and guesstimating a number. Isn't that the case?

I'd speculate, just like the CEO, that actually a lot of our plastic bottle and can waste is actually collected.

But that not all is recycled. Due to inefficiency and demand, doubtless a lot is incinerated at Ringsend and sold back as electricity for the EVs.

In which case, it's not the publics fault - Ossian's beef should be with the bin companies.

Honestly the whole entire thing seems like a PR stunt. And a cash grab to try horn in on the action of private bin companies already collecting and selling recyclables. They want a slice of their action, and they only want the good stuff! hence plastic bottles and cans only. And they don't want the bother of separating and they don't want any damage on the tins or bottles, they're really asking for alot.

They litrelly just want the recycleables so the bin men dont get it and sell it, they want to be in possession of it so they can profit from it instead. and also so they can account/drive up the recycled units numbers. And they dont even have to seperate or clean the bottles or anything. They have the public doing all the footwork, and theres no financial incentive for the public in terms of profit for the public to do this, we're essentially being forced to co-operate or risk losing our pre-paid desposit on the items. essentially taxing people that just wanna continue to recycle at home as they already have been

• Advertisement

Good point, exactly! it's not for environment at all.

it's for 2 specific things:

1) to drive up recycling numbers and statistics. basically for eu brownie points and for the government to take credit for the rest of the peoples actions, recycling.

2) to put the cans/bottles/profitables directly into THEIR hands, instead of the hands of the bin company who just sell it anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement