Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Upscaling as in improving the old Lo-Def fidelity of the picture, in the absence of an official remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,579 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I know and an utterly pointless endeavour in the context of the power of that scene.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok, I thought it was cool. Thanks for shooting it down though, great interaction. The channel has a bunch of videos if you wanna trash those too.

Would love a DS9 remaster so delighted to see people put effort in making those scenes pop a little more.

As a scene it's a great example of why DS9 was so good its just a poor example of why upscaling is good.

I still can't believe this is season 1. I definitely overlooked that episode on first and a few other watches because "Trek is always terrible in season 1" as the myth goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Nah, I'd be well up for a DS9 remaster, it's my favourite trek series and the upscaling done in For All We Left Behind was amazing. I haven't seen too much of the upscaled TNG, but the comparisons I have seen are like night and day. If they actually released that I would probably seriously consider buying the blu-ray, and then my first blu-ray player!

I think though the issue with DS9 is that they moved to digital for a lot more of the shooting, and it's easier to upscale quality from the film media of TNG than digital media, and most of the later season ships were digital rather than phyysical models in DS9 so it becomes far more expensive....

For now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

AI Upscaling isn't an exact science yet, what works for one scene in an episode, mightn't work for another in the same episode. It is impressive though, and it makes you wonder what the tech will be like in 5+ years or so.

Assuming an official remaster never happens (though I still think it will down the line), then we kinda need it too, and DS9 is a great example as to why. Standard definition resolution looks increasingly awful as TV resolutions get higher and higher. In 10 or 15 years, when you buy your new 8k TV for the living room...don't be surprised when a 480p image looks absolutely cack on a 4320p (8k) screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

All scenes of a series need upscaling if it's getting a HD+ release. It's just deciding how one pixel is split into 4 or 16 depending on the resolution. They might be interpolating new frames too but that's not as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Destiny Calls - A Star Trek Fan Production (2023)

Trek Shorts is proud to present the worlds first Star Trek fan film to include the brand new Enterprise G as seen in 2023's Star Trek Picard Season 3!

Was thinking of posting in the Picard thread, but here seems a better fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

God that was rough.

Standard Fanfic Checklist:

1) Inability to act - check

2) Awful fitting uniforms - check

3) Name checking a TOS character - check

4) Unimaginative story - check

5) Weak effects - check

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Some decent TNG-ish SFX although they’re clearly relying on pre-made assets. You can see him leaving the TNG-era USS Resolute, and then departs on a TOS Movie-era shuttle for “USS Hood”. He doesn’t even try to hide it.

But god yea, that was a chore. He clearly put some effort in, but he just can’t act. Makes things worse when he’s literally the only person on screen and the entire short is most just him talking to himself on the view screen. Barely makes sense to even have the Enterprise-G turn up, beyond the gimmick of having it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Finished Making it So recently. Look, I'll be honest, Patrick didn't come across as my favourite person in the world at the end of that. There are times where he didn't really treat his first family very well.

But then look, he's an actor and he's human, and he appears to be trying to mend bridges.

I've moved onto Star Trek Deep Space Nine: A Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson. The Garak actor has written a DS9 novel centered around his character and is reading his own story in audiobook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I signed up for Paramount Plus when it was going for 1/2 price a few weeks ago. I checked out a few random episodes across various DS9 seasons to see what the picture quality was like. I always remember DS9 as being quite fuzzy/soft focus. They have sharpened it up quite a bit without remastering/overdoing it. Sure, some of the effects seem a bit low rez but the rest actually looks about as clear as I'd want.

And oh boy is it amazing how the show kicks off from S4. As well as the more bombastic/important episodes like Way of The Warrior and HomeFront/Paradise lost in S4 to Little Green Men and Our Man Bashir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Whatever you're viewing it on could be automatically upscaling it reasonably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen Gary Graham who played the Vulcan ambassador Soval in Enterprise has died at 74,

May he Rest In Peace.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yikes, looks like the Holodeck just got a shade more possible: Disney engineers have developed "holotiles" that allows vr users to walk around the worlds without actually moving in reality.

The videos mostly corporate fluff but the tiles come in at 3 minutes onwards. Crazy stuff.

"JESUS WEPT, FOR THERE WERE NO MORE WORLDS TO CONQUER"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks cool. Wonder how much practice is needed to not fall over/puke when wearing a headset though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For anyone playing STO, there's a coupon for a free T6 ship in the promotions tab of the store for PC players (console to follow in a few weeks).

The steps being taken were pretty cautious and the video seemed to suggest there wasn't a clear use-case yet, so I'd say this might still be fairly embryonic. A wide or bounding gait would surely throw the whole thing off so you probably have to shuffle quite carefully for it to work properly. Still, all in all its a pretty impressive rethink of the whole locomotion aspect of VR.

Haha; oh man there weren't that many great moments in Season 6, but that was one of 'em 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

He played the role of Soval really well. Great choice for a Vulcan!

All Eyes On Rafah

Now there's a man who knows how to post on the Trek Forum!

Elroy was one of those ringers brought in to replace a mainstay, whose impact was such a net positive, I found myself wishing her was there since the beginning.

Fred Willard was supposedly the preferred choice for Pierce, with the studio wanting Chevy Chase instead. But Keith David absolutely knocked it out of the park in one season. THough TBH David generally is one of those actors who comes in and get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well Section 31 is happening like it or not,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

"an original movie event"

Truly words have lost all meaning.

A movie about the 2 worst aspects of Star Treks worst show.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ouh fox’s disney’s wet dream for the Orville has come true. Nobody wants this paramount! I look forward to the inevitable panning by fans and critics alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Damn I wish that I could get my copy of "A Stitch in Time" signed. I'm not normally one for fan memorabilia but this would be something special

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Wait, what the ****? He was fantastic, Christ that's terrible.

RIP

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

It will be ignored by everyone except Discovery fans. It will be just like Ashoka in that sense because it will need a buy in to a niche character and loads of knowledge of backstory known only to an obscure part of the franchise.

Although you could say the same about the exceptional exception that is Andor 🤣

Btw what's the Orville thing about ?

Advertisement