Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Aside from the unfortunate typo, they couldn't even find a few actual Night club patrons to stand in a photo with her.

Not a single person in that photo has been inside a "night club" any time in the last 40+ years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Good point. It's as legit as a nineteen pound note.

I'd have felt petty about the typo were it not for her blaming Khan for the decline of nightclubs. They're failing for pretty obvious reasons and she's given no detail on what she'd actually do. Will it be taxpayer subsidies? Tax breaks? Looser regulation? Who knows.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Government defeated in Lords Rwanda vote

Time to sign off twitter for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That's unexpected, everything I'd read and listened to had said it was likely to pass albeit by a tight margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Where was the joke in that interaction that Sunak found so funny ? I said it last year but he’s a liability to his party. He has no ability to interact with ordinary voters and we’ve seen when questioned he gets annoyed and it’s a terrible look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He seems to be quite awkward when not surrounded by nodding heads. It's as if he doesn't know how to handle people who disagree with him in a civil manner. The laughter is probably just his attempt to seem warm and personable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

SFAIK the Lords haven't voted down the Bill; they've voted not to ratify the treaty with Rwanda which the Bill implements.

Bit of a step back:

Last year the Supreme Court ruled that Rwanda was not a safe country, and the arrangements the government had made for expelling asylum seekers to Rwanda were unlawful.

The government's strategy for dealing with this was:

1. Make a treaty with Rwanda incorporating protections for asylum seekers expelled from UK to Rwanda. Some of these protections were already mentioned in the not-legally-binding memorandum that the UK agreed with Rwanda a while ago, but now they will be legal obligations; others are new.
    2. Get Parliament to pass a law which (a) declares Rwanda to be a safe country, and (b) requires the courts to treat it as safe, without further enquiry.

Obviously the political case for introducing and passing the law rests on the treaty. If the treaty isn't in place, the government can hardly ask Parliament to pass the Bill.

So, the Lords' vote on the treaty does have implications for the Bill. If the UK doesn't ratify the treaty then it doesn't enter into force, and Rwanda isn't bound by it. And if Rwanda isn't bound by it, then why should Parliament pass a law declaring Rwanda to be a safe country and forbidding the courts from taking a different view?

But, two points:

First, although the Lords have voted against ratifying the treaty, they have no power to prevent the government ratifying the treaty; the most they can do is delay it. And even that delay can be overridden if the government wants to go back to the Commons and get a Commons vote to override the Lords.

Second, the Lords' vote doesn't say that the treaty should not be ratified; it says that the treaty should not be ratified "until the protections it provides have been fully implemented". The Lords are effectively saying "we shouldn't ratify the treaty until the procedures and protections that it requires Rwanda to operate for the protection of asylum seekers of are up and running, and seen to be working satisfactorily". One possible course of action for the government is to accept that, and defer the ratification of the treaty, rather than go back to the Commons and risk another rebellion.They've already said they wouldn't send any asylum seekers to Rwanda until those protections were in place, so they can probably live with not ratifying the treaty until then.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But how can the requirements for refugee protection be proved to exist until refugees can be sent there and demonstrates they are protected. But refugees cannot be sent until it is demonstrated they are safe.

Catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Does this government have time to get the Treaty ratified and then pass the Bill? It surely has to be all done before the summer recess as it looks like they will call the GE shortly after they've returned from the recess. I know there are several months before the recess but these things take time.

• Advertisement

Government has already said that it won't be sending asylum seekers to Rwanda until the treaty mechanisms are in place, so that question arises anyway.

(Presumably they'd be looking to see that Rwanda has made any necesary changes to its domestic law, that tribunals and other agencies required by the treaty have been set up, that appointments have bee made to the various positions that will be required to operate the arrangements, etc, etc.)

Yes they do, in theory, if both the Commons and the Lords are co-operative and compliant. But that's a very big "if". And, now, they may also have to hope that the Rwandans will move fast to put in place all the things the Treaty requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The logic probably is that they can portray themselves as trying to pass it were it not for the wokerati/Lords/insert enemy of choice holding it up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

In other news, this news was probably posted here before but it's worth repeating in the wake of an interview on LBC:

Britain is becoming a “grim” place to live with people suffering Victorian-era diseases.

Now, what lefty woke liberal is saying this? Step forward Michael Marmot, Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health at University College London.

[He] warned that poverty was “guaranteeing” sickness among the poorest in society as people could not afford essentials including food.

“It’s deeply deeply depressing. It’s grim in the extreme,” [he] told LBC. “Essentially Britain has become a poor country with a few rich people.”

“The idea we are starting to suffer the same diseases that in Victorian times people in long ocean voyages suffered because the shortage of citrus fruits is simply horrendous,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nachouser

Candle lit uplands.

Is it really, though? Specifically when compared to continental Europe? I came second in a job application for a position in the Netherlands just before Christmas. I'm considering applying again but I don't know if things are any better there.

A lot of these issues can be attributed to austerity and the Tories. Come the end of the year, things should be looking up.

So seems sunak launched strikes against the Houthi rebels without informing the leader of the opposition. I’m not sure if he’s legally obliged to do so, but you’d think the courtesy would be done. Clearly not.

Is it going to be the night of the long knives for Sunak?

No smoke with out fire or parliamentary gossip?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Don't think the dutch have a problem with scurvy, so 1-0 to them for a start

I applied for the feckin' job. Seems pointless to exchange one unaffordable city for another but we'll see.

• Advertisement

Apparently Simon Clark.is calling for a new PM tonight, have enough letters gone in or will this be the rallying call for Tories to get them in.

I hate doing this, I really do but this is just another level of desperate altogether. Sunak has released a personalised video message to Nigel Farage.

Pathetic isn't the word. He even has "delivering for Nigel" on his laptop in one shot. On top of that, how does this look? Whatever one thinks about immigration, surely the idea of voting in the same party for a <counts.... one, two, three, four...> fifth term so they can do absolutely nothing is something even the least intelligent voter would question.

What does he expect the response is going to be? Tice standing down Reform candidates in certain seats as in 2019?

I'm actually lost for words. This is the UK Prime Minister, the most powerful man in the country on his knees before a television pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

never mind it's a fake

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Looks like it was a setup by guidofawkes

But why the pm needs to be recording messages and taking requests is just as pathetic. As bad/cringe as when they got Farage to say "up the ra"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's a fake.

Clarke's call for Sunak to resign in the Telegraph

“We have a clear choice. Stick with Rishi Sunak, take the inevitable electoral consequences, and give the Left a blank cheque to change Britain as they see fit.

Or we can change leader, and give our country and party a fighting chance.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He seems to be another Liz Truss, even when many people felt that would be an impossibility.

Edit: I see it is a fake, but Tory politics is so bonkers that this would scarcely even raise an eyebrow if real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Lol they really think switching again will be what wins them an election, God they are deluded.

Advertisement