Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I dont have a seal, but read the above thread re insurance with interest . Today, got a notification and a quote for car insurance from Revolut , quite a bit cheaper then my current provider

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

For sure. I was paying €236 on a 762 bhp Model S Performance. That was madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Revolut uses AIG and a previous poster has already said that AIG don't have the car in their system yet. I'll certainly give it shot though when I get reg of my car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I have a feeling Revolut will be the next Quinn insurance. Just worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They're underwritten by AIG though... so that's slightly unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 steak_and_red

Random question - paid a deposit on afternoon of Fri 19th after test drive (South Dublin).

Was shown a list of which colours/trim were available and chose one of those.

Have had the reg and the vin for motor tax since yesterday (Monday 22nd, so basically next working day), but now they’re telling me it should be here in 3-4 weeks.

Is this standard enough (getting reg and tax details so early in advance)? (Once I got reg I figured collection was imminent)

Will I have to pay tax for the period between registration and collection?

Appreciate the help - and love the thread in general. Lots of great advice.

No not really reg would mean the car is onsite so should be pick up like within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corklike1

i agreed to take a car today, it was already on site but not registered. they said it will be in my name and ready to collect by next week. they did however also say that they get chassis numbers for cars that have not been delivered yet so maybe they have registered a car for u that is still on the boat?

anyway, they said if i dont want to collect it for a month they will put it off the road for that time so i dont lose tax, you crowd should do the same, but at the same time, tax for a month is 10 euro, so who even cares

They don't register cars that are on boats. Actually you can't until its landed and gone through its ppi.

Im pretty sure a dealer can register a car online once they have the vin. The car can still be on the boat but it’s risky as the customer could still back out.

The PDI is just an internal inspection. Nothing to do with registration.

• Advertisement

Never heard of anyone doing that until its at least landed. It wouldn't make sense to chance it either.

More so that they can do it. Rather than they “can’t”.

It’s the same online process dealers use to register cars on the 1st January even though motor tax/ revenue offices are closed. I remember some dealers opening up to facilitate collections but alot rarer nowadays.

Fair, can't i suppose is the sales manager kicking arses

Dealer opening up, paying a sales person, power etc. wouldn’t be worth their time in fairness. The car is already sold so no point eating into their profits.

Used to mostly hear of it in rural locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corklike1

goodwill gestures bring customers back next time tho

Yes possible. But in the big urban locations, where there’s more choice, people will go with the better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Got a quote from AIG for €40 to transfer my insurance to the Seal until early March which is when my current policy expires. About 5 weeks. Won't know what the yearly figure is until then but I'm hoping they have the Seal properly setup in their system by then. The woman said the €40 is based on the car being similar to Tesla model 3 spec wise which is actually fair enough I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

That sounds very unscientific and unlike something you'd expect to hear from an insurer.

🤠

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grumpygit

Wondering if anyone having the same problem as I am with volume. No sound from cars navigation system or from either Google maps or Waze on android auto. Also sound screwed up when playing radio FM from BYD platform. Lost sound of radio and couldn't get it back, then all of a sudden it was on full volume and wouldn't decrease. Radio station was on RDS so may have happened when trying to swop to another transmitter. Have no problem playing music on Spotify or playing radio on tunein. Saw on another foreign forum other people were having similar issues on navigation, wondering am I the only one here having the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

For the navigation sound, if you have Spotify playing, go to the home screen and adjust the volume, that should bring up a volume bar on the screen for both media and navigation. It doesn't appear in some screens but I know it definitely pops up when you're on the home screen and adjust the media volume using the steering wheel.

• Advertisement

Possibly an admin charge too for the swap over so may be no difference come renewal time.

That all works ok, have both turned up. I think it muted music etc when it should be giving me directions but I get no sound at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

I'm not sure then, I haven't used the cars navigation but I do get sound from Google Maps in android auto.

Could be just me so, getting no sound from Google maps in android auto. May wait for next ota upgrade and see what happens or do a reload of current software (need to figure out how to download last update again and delete last download so not confident enough with software yet to do that) Not a big issue anyway as I seldom need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GPoint

Funny how people here were praising BYD over BMW and yet it turns out that it’s full of bugs. In a BMW whatever the current sound source is you just grab a volume knob and rotate it to adjust volume and this is stored in the head unit, navigation , voice calls and music. And built in navigation is very well integrated with CarPlay and music streaming , when navigation instructions plays it slightly mutes your music so you can hear navigation and then music resumes to full volume again , all done seamlessly and very smoothly.

There will be few updates I am sure to fix all these stupid issues with BYD but it just shows that it’s not a premium car and having such bugs is not up to the standards.

However if we think about the price of a car in China it’s understandable but not for a 50k car here.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

To say that BYD doesn't deserve praise over BMW or Audi is ridiculous. All software has bugs and it's to be more expected in the initial year or so.

Many BMW or Audi enthusiasts won't even buy an upgraded model of their beloved brand in the first year as they understand that there will be bugs to be ironed out.

For example, a sound issue when using Android Auto is what I would consider a minor issue. In 2017, I drove a brand new Audi A4. I got stuck at traffic lights and the car wouldn't move as it, incorrectly, thought the drivers door was opened.

The sound bug above will be fixed via a simple OTA update in the near future. My major Audi A4 bug of 2017 required an Audi technician to make the 2 hour journey to me so that he could plug into the car and update the software.

Feels very butt hurt ... did you spend 90k and not get alot of value ... 🥲

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GPoint

No I did not spend such crazy money and could never justify spending so much. I just said what I said, praising this car then complaining about the bugs and apps etc. Surely bmw latest cars are crap value for money but BYD is not much better. Excitement will wear out and we should see in a year how they sort out issues and level of customer service.

Hah...some joke.

I've not experienced the bugs above but having owned two i4s I can attest that they are anything but bug free. The charging flap issue is exhibit A.

"That's odd, my charging flap won't open, it's stuck and now my 90k car is immobilised. BMW tech tells me it's a known issue with a fault prone actuator and I should ply/break it open and they'll replace it"

A fault charging flap on an EV... couldn't make it up. Did they recall and fix them all, no of course not, they wait until you're stuck at a charging station for you to find out.

Every single day another person posting on the i4 group on FB that that can't open their charging flap.

Full of bugs? You're having a laugh.

• Advertisement

Not experienced this myself but assume you've tried updating the app, resetting it, clearing app cache and data? It's more likely that this is an issue with your phone than it is the car.

Every time the i4 does an OTA it loses all BT connections and warns the user that their current version of BT is incompatible with the car, I see people posting about it all the time. In fact it's not incompatible, just some Dev/QA forgot to test error handling and it made it into production on the BMW i4.

Likewise with the charging errors. The car can no longer handle charging via Zappi in eco+ mode. It could at launch but BMW messed up an update and broke the functionality last September. They're due to fix it sometime this year though they said.

Every car had bugs and both hardware and software issues but I'd hazard a guess that your one is phone related.

Advertisement