Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

1474849505153»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If you view my table again, you'll be able to answer your own question/thoughts 😉 it's under the name "Ulli" (which I got from Wikipedia, not the best source lol) nearing the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We lost power for guts of 24hrs, and thankfully it wasn't the same temp as previous week, that would have been tough.

But it does seem to follow that storms bring higher temps with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

That storm was something else. I remember the whole evening and night it never give up. The roof on Dorrians hotel in Ballyshannon blowen off.

There was actually some snowfall from that too the next morning I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

51 hours and 1 minute without power. ESB lads replaced 2 broken poles in nearby forest and restored power at 15:58. Right on time for another storm.

Quick stats - 52mm of rain just on Sunday afternoon. 10 minutes average wind = 92 km/h at 20:30, highest gust = 98.2 km/h.

MO/RN border, 10km NE off Knock Airoport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Although I got diverted to Shannon on the way back, Alicante was sunny and 16c, Valencia got a shade over 20c and that was very nice. I know where I'd rather be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭davehey79

As it happened about 8.21 ish last night i heard a feint beeping coming from the kitchen !

The dishwasher was trying to drain as it had been mid cycle when the power went.

So we were restored thanks to he wonderful folk of the ESB out in that last night.

In Leitrim near Mohill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Haha now why didn't I think of that. Oh dear 😳 I would say having looked at your table for my location storm Isha was worse , but for other regions it clearly wasn't. I will say the last time I saw trees bend as much was back in the storm of 1996. There are a few trees that were left slanted after Isha, i thought one or two might fall yesterday evening but they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Albanach1

Still no power near Carrick here. Date has moved from Mon, to Tue to today. Was 6pm &moved to 9pm now. Hopefully that's a good sign they're working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not too bad then, wouldn't wish last night, with no power in the house on my worst enemy.*

*Probably would!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I had the same scenario with a previous storm and on day 3 I went down to where the repair crew were to see what was happening. One of the lads said that there was damage to the line in various places so they would fix one then hit the switch and the fault would trigger somewhere else. Then needing parts or whatever it just kept getting pushed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well after 72 hours without electric we've been switched back on. An eventful storm (s).

Quick summary.

Sunday at 5 electric went off. Horrendous night with the house shuddering with the wind. Monday morning all roads blocked. Over a hundred trees down in local Forestry. (Only 300m metres from cottage)

We unblocked as many roads as possible but the council finished job tonight.

Water supply stopped on Monday morning restored by evening.

Cooked using log burner and camping gas ring and bbq. Emergency lighting by battery only worked for the first night. Used candles and head torches the other nights.

Fairly bad but it could have been worse. Had a few drinks and played board games, cards etc. Laughed a lot.

Only downside was my wind up radio refused to work. I've had it a few years so I must get a replacement.

Fenagh area, Leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Serious stats, not surprised there was major damage to power lines near you. Hope no damage to your house.

My (10 min) sustained wind stats haven't come close to that in the 11 years or so I've been here:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Esb hopes to have all remaining customers across the county reconnected by 20.15. That’s was a long slog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Seen a few locations where people out since Isha still. Ours was out this morning from around 4am to 7am, and that was a pain in the arse, hope these people have generators, must be hell:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

74 properties across the county will remain without power until 8pm tomorrow. That’s 5 days.

Advertisement