Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Jocelyn - Tuesday 23/Wednesday 24 January 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Shur no one uses mph except the Tans or the Yanks

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Not sure if Jocelyn is blowing as hard as Isha but it feels like she is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just a breezy evening in Waterford, haven't even hit an 80km/h gust. Certainly not a storm down here. Surprised to see Oak Park get a gust over 100km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I'm in Newport, Mayo. Well I'm about 4 miles west of the town itself and elevation about 55m. We're completely exposed to the SW and seem to be at the top of hills shaped like a valley, it's like funneling the wind directly at us.

Some strong gusts over the past couple of hours but seem to be coming from a more westerly direction. I can hear the deep rumble overhead that distinguishes a storm from a windy day. It's certainly not as bad as Sunday night which was the worst I've experienced in 11 years here, and there's been some decent storms here over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

97kmh at Casement.

104kmh was highest for Isha

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Croohur1

I'm in South Wicklow and the power is gone. Wind is as bad if not worse than Isha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Definitely a lot worse than Isha in my location of South Wicklow. Just looking at a topography map here and we are somewhat sheltered to SSW winds which definitely helped on Sunday. However for WSW winds like these are the wind is actually funneled towards us and amplified. It is wild here the last 20 minutes or so, really has picked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Brought the dog out for a pee there, not impressed. Very gusty out there. Not as bad as Sunday night, but hairy enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Fair number of trees reported down Galway including phone poles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Agree. South inishowen. I'd say about 3/4 of what Isha was. Feckin hate storms that are mainly dry wind, seem so much more powerful and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ros4Sam24

Picked up here in carrick survived with power in Isha hopefully be okay this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭pauldry

The "sheltered" anemometer in my back garden got to 83kph during Isha. This pathetic storm has managed only 52kph on it.....thank God. 3 or 4 hours left yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I watch too much uk TV especially their weather I prefer it than met eirrean it's more detailed

You also in carrick on shannon? That's 3 people on this that's here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nothing at all of note in N. Louth as yet. Fairly calm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Ros4Sam24

Closest town daz, I'm a rossie 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Ah right nice to know that there's people not far from me on this, fairly blustery to gusty now but not as bad as isha ,this storm is a notch down

Fair few heavy showers here about 7 or 8. Just east of Letterkenny.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭ongarite

To my non scientific ear, this storm seems to have higher sustained wind speeds compared to Isha which had higher max wind speeds but then long periods of relative calm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

We have big trees about 100m from the house, most of the noise is coming from there tonight, that and the dodgy window I couldn't get fixed today.

The type of house and wind direction can have a big effect on how people are experiencing the storm. Called to a friends A rated house earlier, its well protected by other houses and south facing, you wouldn't even know there was a storm once you step inside!

While my older, end of row, east facing house whistles and hums and creaks with every gust.

Stop calling me Shirley.

She's hairy and thinks she's gutsy, not gusty. Scared of her own shadow though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for the reply. Your comment it was 15kmh slower sparked the question regarding proximity and strength

A blowy evening in north Kerry, doesn't feel any different to Isha. Weather station broke so can't give any reading...the shame 😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Someone I know said her friends car was hit at the same time with said friend driving her car. No injuries thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm

Mace head 57 knots(106 km/h)

Knock 56 knots

Malin head 56 knots

Belmullet 51 knots

Oak Park 51 knots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Gusts here in south kildare are matching Isha at this stage .. definitely a bigger gap between the gusts but wild out now with lights beginning to flicker 😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A fair few new outages on the power check website, some unlucky people no doubt just got theirs back before. Its a decent winter storm, not exceptional but still a storm by all measures.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has gotten stormy again. I thought it was over at about 8:30 pm as it had eased off a lot. The gusts are about 10-15 mph less than we had with Isha.

• Advertisement

I just think it's more detailed between the 10 day forcast and the deepdive I just love ,they may not mention Ireland but they still show what it's gonna be like for me

Latest wind gusts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

KLM flight to cork diverting to Shannon now. Aerlingus flight to cork going for second attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

Near Malin Head here. Still quite gusty, but might be quietening

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

The difference in gusts inland between Casement to Carlow compared to the midlands & east coast is interesting…

We’re matching the gusts from Ishia which wasn’t expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭pureza

Got a gust of 90 here in Arklow since

Still below Isha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Highest gust tonight so far on my station is 98 kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A few serious gusts just now in Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm the other side of the city and it's vicious howling evening, nowhere near just another January evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Very rough here in SW Donegal the last few hours , getting worse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'm in South Wicklow, house is on the cusp of a hill and it's definitely sounds worse than Storm Isha here, must be the slight difference in wind direction as to the south west, we have found fewer higher hills and mountains for shelter compared with all other directions

Very mild out there though!

54.7kph just there beats the 53.3kph earlier. Need to raise my anemometer another 2 metres eh?

Still the storms peaking now in Sligo and stronger than A to H were here. I is unbeatable though. Nearly 30kph ahead still.

Winds will ease off before too long I'd imagine by 1am it will be more breezy than stormy in Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Did a quick run of Sandymount, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, and Dalkey around high tide, nothing out of the ordinary. I know the winds are pushing out to sea, but even when that happens you do get waves and spray with a 3.7m tide, but there really was nothing apart from the noise of the wind, a very normal lapping tide.

So, very calm along the southside coastal waters, once you come in a little bit there's a howl, and fallen bin rubbish flying everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭noplacehere

North Kildare and some fairly big gusts. Whatever way it’s hitting the house it’s coming in differently to Sunday but plenty blowy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

For sustained winds Jocelyn is winning hands down imby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Ya wind is fairly sustained with this one. New power cuts in Collooney and Ballymote with virtually the whole of both villages in darkness now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

north co dublin and the power has been gone a few hours now...came back for 5 mins at one stage and then gone again...some very strong gusts but not as frequent as sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

South Roscommon, gusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Still very breezy in a Trim with the strongest gusts probably gale force. Been indoors since I got back from Longford around 20:00 so perhaps it's been stronger up till recently and that it's easing now as it's fairly typical very breezy to windy weather in this part of Meath now

• Advertisement
Advertisement