Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Was busy working on some tricky database code. Listening to Tubridy wouldn't have helped.

Regards...jmcc

A remarkably apt Beatles song that may not be in his playlist. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah, only needed a few short listens here and there to confirm what I already knew…. And will not be listening again (unless anyone posts any hilarious links of him failing miserably at something while on air).

He’s old news and will fade into obscurity…

This thread will gradually morph into a Tubridy tribute thread… where we’ll all gather every year on January 2nd to celebrate his moving up to Senior Hurling while simultaneously demoting his remuneration to that of the under 5’s equivalent…

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

After the novelty of London wears thin, I think he will grow tired of the commute between St John's Wood and London Bridge St and I wouldn't be surprised if he is already requesting Virgin Radio management to transfer him to Q102 for the broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How long is his commute?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Straight forward enough on the Jubilee line.

He'd have to go Northside if getting to Q102.. now that would be a fish out of water.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I listen to Q102 fairly regularly when I am about the house, but have no wish to hear him. I never listened when he was on RTE and I am not starting now either.

This morning before I got a chance to change stations, I heard...

'For the first time since we started this ..this... figary...' something about the weather being bad.

[Click]

It's not about the length of the commute. I think he will just eventually want to get back to Dublin. Especially if those RAJAR figures go the wrong way for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That wasn't Terry Wogan on the Bargaintown adverts, as far as I remember. It was a soundalike .... might have been Gerry Wilson????

It was a long time ago... but it wasn't Terry anyway.

Edit 24/01/24 : I stand corrected. It was Terry Wogan on the original (1980's) Bargaintown radio adverts. Gerry Wilson did his Wogan soundalike work later. As years roll on, it can be difficult to exactly recall the events and times.

Post edited by Ger Roe on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Think Gerry did the Terry voice for a furniture shop elsewhere, could be Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Tubs is an urbane and educated man. I’m sure he loves living in such a vibrant global city. Not everyone is content with living with their mother in BallyNoHope, and drinking themselves slowly to death in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭yagan

I didn't realise that's how mad he had gotten. I thought he more a fondness for icing sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

I thought his mother was the other director of his company. Just him and his mammy .

Why didn't he try to move away from home earlier then? Instead of waiting until he was 50.

As good as London would be, I'm sure its much better for a younger man.

Plus he didn't stray too much from his home town area in the country over all his years. The odd trip to the west and a walk along the local pier. Never seen Oz, and probably in the US a couple of times. Hardly a world traveller.

Plus I'd say he would never have moved to London had he not wrecked his career here and more or less been sacked.

That's bad but a bit different from the previous effort. It is like it was written by someone who thinks that hypocrisy is an ancient Greek philosopher. He has probably run out of interesting things to write about and it will become more about namedropping in future columns.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

I've heard he was not popular with his colleagues alright. Even before the doo-dah hit the fan.

I have a close friend who is one of the most tolerant people I know - rarely has a bad word to say about anyone. He met Tubridy socially one night years ago and was totally allergic to him. Since then, couldn't even be in the room when his kids were watching the Toy Show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah, if he was like me and did London in his 20's-30's..

But aged 50 and on record as saying he's giving up TLLS so he can concentrate on spending more time with his family.

Troll away BD but RT is on record that disagrees with your interpretation of how he wanted this chapter of his life to go.

He also came across as someone who had no time for England after Brexit.

He'd often be most uncomplimentary about them.

I’m not trolling. I counteracting the lurid misery fantasies that are prevalent around here. Tubs crying himself to sleep in some cold water bedsit. The dude is working in a slot on a radio show, writing a column for a paper, and almost certainly not obsessing about himself half as much as some of his critics.

Tubs 1

Online Critics 0

He wins.

I suppose the long-term listenership figures will be a true reflection of whether Tubridy has won or lost anything.

• Advertisement

Some people here were predicting he would be pulled after less than a week. I mean that sort of fantasy might be a comfort blanket for folks, but it ain’t grounded in reality. He’s back on a national radio station that has some big stars. He lives in a great part of London. He has a column in the paper.

it might not sit well with some folks, but he succeeded when some of his more fervent critics were gleefully suggesting he was a beaten docket. They were completely and utterly wrong, and it’s no harm in pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Tubs crying himself to sleep in some cold water beds".

But isn't that not far off what his "diary" is trying to imply? Wandering around London a while ago looking for a flat like a lost soul (soul hah!!), queueing up for a kettle etc. etc.

Tubridy's shows simulcasted on Q102 and syndicated on 96FM, Live 95 and LMFM maybe subject to some scrutiny as under the terms of their licences there is a charter to provide local and relevant programming to their associated franchises.

Cork Co Council have already initiated complaints in this regard.

CnaM have conceded that the number of mentions of Virgin Radio on Q102 is worrying.

There is a valid concern that this may lead to reduced listenership and revenues for those radio stations.

If the Ryan Tubridy show does not deliver healthy listenership figures, it may have wider implications and not just for Ryan Tubridy...

A lot of the Irish media class were made to look very stupid when Brexit passed. They had all been expecting it to be rejected. Brexit came as a shock to them and was followed by the election of Trump. Listening to RTE the morning after Trump won was the best comedy RTE ever produced as the usual talking heads tried to explain what happened. Like Tubridy, RTE often appears to be isolated from the real world outside Montrose.

Tubridy has gone from being the big man in the village Montrose (population 1,900 and falling by 400) to being a nobody in London. London is a city of approximately 9 million people. Some of those who voted for Brexit would be Virgin Radio listeners. There was a fluff piece in the Indo about him having lunch with Norton yesterday. The whole thing smacks of desperation to keep his Irish media presence high. The problem, as can be seen from the posting frequency here, is that Tubridy is no longer an Irish national star as he was when he had the LLS and the radio show. He's barely a local radio presence that interrupts the music on a few News UK owned Irish radio stations that do not have national coverage. In effect, he's gone from on national radio to part-time local radio and the locals don't want him (as has been seen in Cork).

The danger for News UK is that the CnaM might need to make an example to establish its credibility and the Q102 syndication deal might be an easy target. Politically, it is supposed to be separate from the government but it may come under a lot of political pressure if the Q102 problem in Cork is likely to cost Cork FFG TDs votes. And there's still the Grant Thornton report that will be published soon (Beaker's article in the Indo this morning) and the calls for resignations from the board of RTE.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's some consequences from a "nothing burger" ...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Tubridy is certainly a Titanic figure in Irish broadcasting. He's the iceberg that sank the board of RTE.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The syndication deal is the only thing keeping Tubridy in the Irish broadcast market. He and NKM need that or his potential salary from any Irish broadcasters wishing to hire him will decline. Think that the Tubridy story has a few chapters left. It is like a variation of Thackery's "The Luck of Barry Lyndon".

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Just to add when he mentioned 'this figary' - he was referring to his new show/ new job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

and almost certainly not obsessing about himself half as much as some of his critics.

But is allowing an article be published under his name every week desperately trying to convey (to an Irish readership) how much he is enjoying London, meeting stars every other minute of every day, and how much of an all round awesome time he is having over there playing 'Senior Hurling'...... and then on his radio show pitifully trying to push a narrative that he's an intellectual because he 'likes books'... obsessively.... like it's his only angle... the only thing he wants people to think about him..... trying to pull every call/conversation in the direction of a subject he likes to perceive himself as knowledgable in...

No, you're right, he's totally not obsessed with himself.

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

Advertisement