Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

And thousands of Virgin Radio listeners went "WTF?". :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say one of the brainstorming ideas that Team Tubs is pushing now is "the Bookman".

Since he has been dethroned as The Toyman, they need something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

"Tubs 1

Online Critics 0

He wins."

"Back of the net!", as Alan might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not quite. It's the perfect get out of jail/plausible deniability for the inevitable return. Say the figures get bad and VM want to move on Q102 would probably take him standalone along with a sponsor (which tbf NK has the contacts to get him one). All they have to say is CnaM are unhappy and they do not want to go up against them. Turn it to an Irish show from Dublin and voila he's back home in an Irish presenting job, without being cast as a failure in London. The game here is clearly a return home anyway and eventually to RTE so even adversity will be used to reach that goal. Callans package shows that RTE has actually learned nothing so it is only a matter of time.

As for his MoS article: I think it's highly likely that is done the same way that they'd do their ex intercounty hurler type articles. A 20min phonecall where they spill their thoughts and a young journo has to put structure on it and do the writing. It also ensures it fits with the house style without too much editing. I doubt he's getting much for it as he benefits more than MoS for it imo. Keeping the name alive over here is necessary for the comeback as the only worse thing than him being talked about is him not being talked about.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You'd swear it was the 80's the way Tubridy is penning his weekly columns... and that he was in the first wave of new Irish making the trek over to London to make it big in the big smoke.... and was doing us all a service by telling us what London is like, giving us the inside scoop, and how it's the city of opportunity... opportunity to make a new start, fresh and clean from any 'issues' left behind in Ireland..... it's just all so fake & irrelevant.

except he's 50, and not 22, and no one cares.. (unless he's just trying to appeal to the mammy's of Ireland)

Everything and anything he is currently doing is about trying to stay as relevant as possible in Ireland. One Million Percent.

Team NK/Tubs already let the golden goose get away, and will do absolutely everything and anything in their powers to catch it again.......

I bet if Tubridy was offered his old radio show back on RTÉ Radio 1 for €100k - €150k, he'd bite your fecking hands off..... bite them clean off.

• Advertisement

Do they want him to present the Booker Prize? Have they tried to get Amazon to sponsor his show?

Regards...jmcc

Have they considered getting him on Dancing With The Staff? There might be a bit of an audience crossover between those who used to listen to Tubridy or watch the LLS.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

In the 80's the only plausible way to get to London involved a 3 hour ferry that got you as far as Hollyhead. Now you can get a 45 minute flight into London, so not only is going for the weekend plausible, I'd say most 20-30 year olds have already done it. It's not the far off land it once was. The way he talks you would swear he had moved to New York, or outer Mongolia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I bet if Tubridy was offered his old radio show back on RTÉ Radio 1 for €100k - €150k, he'd bite your fecking hands off..... bite them clean off.

But the question is if he was offered a UK gig somewhere like BBC Radio 2 for something like his old RTE wage would he bite the whole arm off?

Think that BBC gave him a few chances but they never worked out. Not sure that he's Radio 2 material though.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

He's all smiles about London because he's still in his honeymoon period of being there (and living abroad for the first time in his life)... give it a few more weeks/months and the homesickness will start setting in.. especially when things/events are happening at home that you miss out on because of living/working abroad... a lot of us have been there... and yes London is literally only a hop across the water (I've woken up in Dublin before, and done a full days work in London and been back home in Dublin that evening plenty of times in the past), but when you're away you're away, no matter how close you might feel as once you've to cross water to get home, it always feels just that little further to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be fair it's hard to know if they did or didn't work out as he was prohibited by his later RTE contracts from other work, specifically BBC work. Now of course that might have suited Tubs to have that in there to give the illusion to RTE that he was in demand elsewhere. An easy concession to throw for a €100k or so if there was actually no other work or no desire to do other work. In any case he had nailed his feet to RTEs floor even if an offer did come in, while in contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There were multiple airlines (Aer Lingus, BA, British Midland, Dan Air and smaller ones like Brymon) offering multiple flights a day to London from nearly every airport in Ireland in the 1980s.

They were only insanely unaffordable for same day returns or single tickets with no return, weekend breaks staying a Saturday weren't unaffordable to most.

This Home Thoughts From Abroad stuff would have washed in the 50s, not even the 80s - by the 80s it would have had to be from the US or Australia to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm not asking whether the BBC are interested, nobody here would know that, I'm wondering would something like Radio 2 be Tubridy's own first choice ahead of RTE...presumably if it is he has NK under instruction to suss that out...

He's been detached from his Dublin social network and dumped into a city where he possibly knows very few people.

Regards...jmcc

Certainly fooled the people in RTE if so. It was cover work from what I remember but there was an attempt to get him into the UK market with that "The Irish Are Coming" book and there was a ryantubridy . co . uk domain name registered in 2011. It was like the intended move to the big time of UK broadcasting didn't work out.

Regards...jmcc

He would certainly seem to have the ego to consider himself BBC (a national broadcaster) material. The problem is that there is a lot of competition in the UK broadcast business. It remains to be seen if Virgin Radio will be a stepping stone for his career in the UK but he's way out of the Montrose village junior hurling league that made him a "star". Even Radio Norwich might think twice about hiring him at this stage. His only remaining value is in the Irish broadcast business.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Before Ryanair, flights to the UK were insanely expensive, thats why I said plausible when referring to the ferry.

You are right of course, even in the 80s, London wasn't the big mystery that Ryan seems to be painting it as now in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Did he just laugh at today's death announcement of Boney M and Milli Vanilli creator Frank Farian ??😲

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Yes, he did.

Doing a faux German accent on UK Irish radio. Even Lord Haw Haw had to be half cut before he attemped that act!!

• Advertisement

• Ryan is kind of the opposite to Charlie Bird. The former telling us what a great time he’s having in London, how well connected he is, how many recognise him. Charlie told us he knew nobody, was a nobody in the US, wasn’t well connected, was lonely and admitted he was very keen to come home. At least he hadn’t dirtied his bid and had a job to come home to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Airline deregulation crashed the prices, not Ryanair.

(Long block of text not really relevant here:

Ryanair were consistently positioned as being £1 return cheaper than Aer Lingus to London, and competed instead on serving regional airports (they did Donegal to Luton for instance) and on Stansted being, at the time, easier to get to and nicer to get through than Heathrow. Theres an old TV ad showing off their business class for instance!

1978/9 fares were the easiest for me to find - an advance special airfare was £44 and advance special ferry + train £26.80. If you were skint you'd clearly take the ferry, but you'd well eat in to that £17.20 difference with the food you'd need to buy in two full days you'd lose on the way.

As soon as you needed to book closer to the time of travel, the air fare would go up much much more

Sailrail now starts at €52 one way, flights 9.99 or whatever - travel really has got very cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Local radio even from a commercial sense is a very competitive, aggressive and sometimes non forgiving entity. Particularly regarding the weekday simulcast, the general sound and format of Ryan Tubridy's slot is somewhat out of phase with the overall sound of Q102. At the moment his show is trying to play to two markets, two different radio stations that are "by definition" formatted differently and possibly not satisfying either. If Tubridy is unsuccessful at Virgin, they may just confine him to Q102 which is something that I have been anticipating. However, it may take up to a year before there is any reliable data to gauge whether this project is going to be successful or not. After such time If Tubridy's show is confined to Q102, I would consider that to be a failure with respect to his attempt to break into the UK radio market. That could leave Q102 with the task of repairing a mid-morning show and starting from scratch particularly when there is the possibility that what were Q102 listeners, have just simply moved on to Classic Hits, Sunshine, Nova or Today FM. It could very well be the case of which they may find it difficult to successfully "relaunch" Tubridy again in the Dublin local radio market. This type of scenario usually leads to falling revenues if they can't fix it quickly and then get their listeners back on board again. Again, I can't emphasis any more the importance of those RAJAR/JNLR listenership figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Yes if unsuccessful in Virgin and he doesn't progress in the UK to bigger things, he will return to Dublin, stay with Q and will likely be moved to Breakfast. This will be syndicated to other Wireless stations - by that time they will have acquired more local stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭yagan

Normally when a "star broadcaster" makes a move it's for one reason, who ever is paying them more to move is buying that stars listenership. That simply isn't the case with Tubridy.

So a third tier London based outfit is taking a punt on Tubs loyal Irish fanbase. But as his former RTE slot listenership has actually increased since his departure they could be clutching a bag of nothing.

Edit to add my point is that many UK based businesses with Irish operations assume that works there will automatically work here. The English listener may well wondering why his usually radio station has some Irish presenter that talks too fast on in the same way that many a shopper in Ireland will wonder why do TKmxx keep trying to sell Union Jack emblemed clothes!

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If he was offered €30k for a radio slot on RTE vs £300k for one on the BBC, he's be back in Monkstown in a heartbeat, no doubt accompanied with an address to the nation about the warmth of Ireland/coldness of Britain, nowhere like home, "I owe it to the irish people to heaer me locally", blahblahblah. Then once its a foot in the door, time to climb the greasy pole again - Maximise income, Minimise effort.

The though of actually having to work for your money, in a cutthroat company where not everything is handed to you on a plate probably terrifies him, as much as his postcards from London would not attest to it.

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭yagan

Even then he's probably pissed so many off over the decades there'll be few will to help get back up that greasy poll.

Dee Forbes is still MIA and there could be many more revelations to come that could make Tubs want to stay in London, even if he ends up doing the coffee run.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

But there is a flip side to that coin. In such a scenario they may also feel the need to contain contamination. They would need to fix his show first and his presenting style before risking exposure to other prime time slots and markets.

Again, listenership figures.

Theres a new opening in RTÉ Radio 1 now that Dobbo is leaving..... this could be team Tubs chance!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tubs replace Dobbo!

Thanks for giving me a laugh.

Could you imagine Tubs trying to do a job like Dobbo? Surely he can't speak properly, doesn't finish sentences, can't think on his feet, is a terrible interviewer.....I could go on.

Advertisement