Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not lying, but sticking his finger in the air and guesstimating a number. Isn't that the case?

If the claim is true, we recycle more than we collect. Some going.

I have listened to interviews by both him and his head of communications who was hired from REPAK.

The general tone is apathy, they don't really care because this scheme is now the law they pick up their 6 figure salaries whatever ould shíté they spout to the media.

It's win-win for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭appledrop

This new recycling thing with the bottles and cans is absolutely bonkers.

First of all I recycle all and I mean all my plastic bottles, food cans, drinks cans, shampoo bottles etc. Everything I can recycle I do.

I don't use that many, but feck that I'm meant to now find another place at home to gather all these until I have enough when I have a perfectly useable bin for all this stuff already!

Then the one thing that might actually be useful for us as consumers, a glass bottle bank because not that many of them, oh no we don't want those!

If they really actually cared about the environment well I'd appreciate a weekly collection of my recycle bin.

Now that would make a difference, we recycle so much my husband usually has to get into the bin to squeeze on stuff near the collection date.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You seem to be doing a good job so far.

Once the Return system comes in it will be a bit more inconvenient but if you follow the Instructions you will get all your deposits back.

Have you checked out your local authority civic amenity site?

They have bottle banks and are monitored by staff so usually not over full.

A side effect of the Return system is that you will have a bit more space in your recycle bin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You have a bit of an alternative view of reality don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sticking re-turn stickers onto cans that didn't have it is where the money is. 20c per can for free.

I wonder will we just see a lot more companies using tetrapak for non carbonated drinks and possibly more glass?

You could see it suddenly making more sense to package water, fruit juices etc in non plastic containers.

It would certainly incentivise me not to pick up things like plastic bottles of fruit juice if cartons or glass bottles are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

That sounds awesome in theory but its not realistic or practical as the machines have scanners inside them that can detect them. There's also a green reflective light that shines on a particular part of the can which looks for the logo to reflect back to detect it or something.

Also the cost of the stickers would'nt be worth it, you'd be at a loss. Unless someone owed you free stickers as a favor. If someone owed a favor i'd rather choose the 20cent than a sticker, saves all the time and bother!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Not really, i just see what others fail to see. i'm less focused some parts of the scheme and more focused on how they're trying to conn people or trick them into doing free work, or how can i profit from the scheme since they refuse to reward people for giving them cans, bottles, etc. i'm trying to make the best of this scheme.

i'm not caught up on defending the scheme with my life like others are doing, and at the end of the day if anyone promotes or insults the scheme i don't mind either way as its not really my fight. No point beings a jobsworth especially if getting nothing in return from the scheme. Statistics don't matter as paper never refused ink. What matters is making use of the scheme somehow in your favor and benefitting from it. as the whole recycling lark and logic they give contradict eachother with their own actions or lack of, so theres no point taking the madness seriously or trying to figure out who said what in what radio interview as people can be biased and lie to protect who they represent all the time.

Buisnuess 101, press conference and good public image for public relations and getting everyone on board like its some good thing. they're already lucky enough people are recycling and doing their part without this scheme. However its not enough for the green greed machine and they just want more, and higher numbers. their solution = force people into it and punish those who don't partake in their scheme by holding/keeping their deposit. They win either way, so only winning move is not to play. And a nice extortion deposit tax on those who already recycle at home and wish to continue doing so without going to these machines. ALL BUISNUESS and not actual care for environment. its just entirely greed motivated. pandering for profit.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Once the Return system comes in it will be a bit more inconvenient 

A bit more?

Do you think that poster is thick?

• Advertisement

it will become much more inconvenient for sure, thats a guarantee! its bullying to partake in the scheme at this point, well coercion. Recyclable cans and bottles having their deposits held as ransom, we're forced to feed the machine our recycleables or else lose the ransom if we don't.

Well stop with the condescending tone so.

You are doing great and it will only get a bit more inconvenient. -sic

Give me a break. 🙄

Complete chilled, don't treat other people like complete mugs.

That's the job of the CEO and Communications Officer.

They are getting paid for it, you aren't.

That's three posts having a go at me in one hour.

And I haven't even got my 10 o'clock tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If the public have any sense, they will flood Return with calls when this starts up and ask them to arrange for collection of these tins and bottles.

"Hi Ciaran - I used to put these in my bin that was collected but that's no good to you - please pick them up for me like a good lad. I can't get 20 miles to nearest of your machines."

The CEO says they'll sort matters out, so let them. It's their bleedin scheme.

true, they should be called out on their bluff and taken up on it. But really its all empty words or false promises. The more this scheme unfolds = the more its beginning to look like politics.

Saying they will sort it out can be anything or nothing, and can mean many things. But most likely if it does amount to anything its just gonna be something stupid or something that requires you to do more work or get more from you in a different way. They'll never do any favors for free or fix the problems they cause in such a way that the public are happy, they'll always be a catch, sure even with this scheme itself theres the deposit catch so that says alot already.

i feel they would it like that "we'll sort it" instead of making a direct promise so they can later back track on it or change what they meant by it. its spoken like a true politician

i'm not caught up on defending the scheme with my life like others are doing,

You seem happy to get caught up attacking it with spurious lies though... Curious

I think you're getting confused with how the scheme works, you can still put the products in the recycling bin as you always did, I'd imagine Ciaran will point this out to you as well

Curious as to where you live that your nearest return machine will be 20 miles away, presumably your nearest supermarket is the same distance?

• Advertisement

i'm not attacking the scheme with lies, i'm pointing out that we break even at best and don't really benefit from it, while they benefit both ways and are wanting free help with reaching their goal from the public while offering essentially nothing in return.

Either way that's twice now i gave you many words, only to receive so little in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Sounds easier just to pop the containers in your local RVM when going shopping. What your proposing would be more inconvenient for me tbh.

We will benefit from more recycling being done, will we not?

True but if you take quality over quantity of words I'm ahead of you

There's more recycling being done? or do you mean more re-directed towards them?

if a person puts their recycling in their recycling bin at home, that counts as them doing their part and recycling, after that its out of their hands. What the bin companies do with those recyclables is up to them, same said for RVM and return.

Also how do WE benefit from the recycling being done? thats something i'd like to know. genuinely the scheme is of no benefit to us, actually is more of an inconvenience than a benefit. its asking us for free work like, and taking our deposits if we don't play ball how they want us to. Win-win for them either way, consumers break even at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I've yet to see a single machine and apparently they are quite large. Of course these can be put in the bin, but CEO Ciaran advised the public yesterday that they want them in the RVM machines. And he advised the public to phone his office if they have trouble bringing them to one of his machines.

Well the public should take him up on that. Here's our cans & bottles - come get them.

exactly, he should be called on his bluff, and held accountable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

He never said they'd arrange collection iirc, he sort of fudged the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

i agree i think its punish people because of others and is going effect peoples money as not everyone lives near shops or drives

But re-turn won't collect them from you, if you want to recycle them with re-turn you have to bring them with you to an RVM the next time you go shopping. Your bin service is what will collect them from you

So you haven't seen an RVM yet but you know that where you live your nearest return machine will be 20 miles (31km) away? How did you come to that conclusion exactly?

Perhaps you could divulge the location and the very helpful people here can point out an RVM less than 20 miles away?

• Advertisement

Apologies, yes, I mean there will be more produce re-directed towards the recycling centres. Which, just to clarify so that you stop asking stupid questions, means the same thing as more recycling being done. At least it does in the real world that most of us live in.

Bin companies can't take recycling off you and then dispose of it in a landfill if that's what you are suggesting... Unless you have proof of this happening, which I suspect you don't, I suggest you stop making up lies

Again I'll say - WE benefit from a cleaner environment through this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement