Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ah yeah, Lennon definitely isn’t an old manager, it’s that he’s been in management so long that you sort of know what you’re going to get. If it doesn’t work out for him then he’ll be back doing punditry on premier sports.

Carsley doesn’t have that sort of CV, and doing poorly in his first senior gig would look more damaging for his career prospects, so I would assume there’s a motivation or pressure there to succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,445 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

With all due respect this thinking is ass backwards.

When Ireland were getting to major finals and even getting into the playoffs for major finals their biggest strength was being hard to beat.

Under Kenny that disappeared.

They need to get back to being hard to beat and if Lennon comes in and does that then there won't be too many complaining.

On the other hand Carsley is really no different than Kenny.

He's just an u21 manager, and he has no experience running a team of senior players at a level that is required to transfer that experience to international soccer.

With Carsley we will get more of the same as with Kenny, a man out of his depth trying to transform the way a team will limited ability play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why is being "hard to beat" soo taboo?

No problem with someone coming in and organising the team, as long as that’s not the sum total of the effort.

Playing to not lose will only get you so far, and personally I find it excruciating to watch. And it’s not like being hard to beat has resulted in consistent finals appearances either.

If the manager comes in, and short term gives the team a bit of steel and gets some results(particularly in the nations league), great. If we’re still playing the same must not lose football, trying to score primarily off set pieces in the Euros campaign, then I’ll be happy to see the back of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Carsley has run a nation in tournaments with 50 millions pound players. In fairness to him that’s way ahead of Kenny’s exposure to the top level of the game before he got the Ireland job.

comparisons between carsley and Kenny are fatuous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭kksaints

Partially because it's not very enjoyable to watch and also because it often suffers from the law of diminishing returns. As in once you get the results people may grumble about it not being nice to watch but they'll accept it because of the result but the moment you lose and the results turn against you the manager out calls come very quickly. A manager at least attempting to play attacking football will always get more leeway from the fans.

Plus as other posters have put it even when we were hard to beat we didn't qualify that often and a lot of our successful qualifications had a large amount of luck attached to them. Only 1990 seems to have been done reasonably comfortably. On the other hand we often had large amounts of misfortune when our qualification campaigns were unsuccessful.

In my view managing 50 million pound u21s is not a great platform for managing a senior team with players struggling to make an impact in EPL teams.

Kenny's platform of u21, LOI and a poor stint in Scotland was equally poor.

Both Charlton and Mick McCarthy (the first time) came mostly from managing in the second tier in England (Charlton did manage NUFC for a year in the old First Division).

Traps experience speaks for itself.

O'Neil worked his way up through the levels in England.

All of the above got Ireland out of our group and to major finals.

And that's the kind of experience you need in my opinion to manage a country like Ireland, where the talent may not be world class but you have to get results.

Lennon among others bring that experience, Carsley does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

And telling people how he put the ball in the English net

• Advertisement

i may have been overly hasty in saying comparisons were pointless.

there is one worrying similarity between carsley and Kenny. Neither managed or will have managed in carsleys case a game that really mattered before getting the Ireland senior job if he does get it.

carsleys a black box appointment. He has managed far better players than Kenny had though at least.

As always, the problems in Irish football are much more about insufficient public investment than the identity of managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭kksaints

What are games that matter out of curiosity? Does the Scottish Cup Final or Europa League group stage matches not count? Or the U-21 Euros final?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

In truth it would be an odd decision for Carsley to take the Ireland job. His career is on a good upward trajectory in a successful enviroment and a pathway to club management if he wanted it. A bad tenure as Ireland manager now with no background club experience would leave him nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The reporting for a good while now is that he's actively avoided senior club management since he has a son with special needs, and just doesn't want to dedicate that sort of time away from his family. So international management makes more sense - likely why he stayed on with the England U21s when he could've easily gotten a club job, having already achieved the highest thing he can at that level with the World Cup.

I mean games that you are under pressure to get results for a large fan base basically. Those games weren’t really like that. No one expected dunfermline to win the Scottish final and it’s a small fan base, no one expected Dundalk to do anything in Europe and it’s a small fan base, no one really cared in England if they won the under 21s. It wasn’t a big deal.

managing Ireland in qualification groups is knifes at the throat time in comparison. A far different challenge

Master

Cheers I didnt realise that...well I think he would be a great appointment if we can get him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

In fairness Charlton and McCarthy had squads full of premier league/First Division players including many of Irelands greatest ever players. O'Neill and Trap both had better squads and cost huge salaries that the FAI can't afford so getting similar candidates is impossible.

Would any of those 4 managers even have the interest in managing the current squad? I doubt it so we're left with the candidates mentioned so we're always going to be taking a chance with someone as we cant afford a proven manager in my view

I agree

But if I'm left with the choice of the guy who has years of experience at various levels (Lennon) or the guy who has had success at u21 level (Carsley) I'm picking the former.

The problem for the incoming manager is that they have to fix something.

It's not like when Kenny took over from McCarthy.

At the time we were not ripping up trees, but were at least competitive in groups and getting to playoffs, there was no fixing to do, just continue and improve on what was already there.

Now we are a mess, and there is a lot of fixing to do, o prefer get the established guy (Lennon) in to try and do that fixing.

Lennons managerial career is like a club version of Carsleys in a way. He’s done well when it’s with the best team in the league, but appointments outside of that have been disasters. Nothing he’s done at club level suggests he can take an average team and get them to raise their game.

I don’t find either appointment exciting, but based on both, I’d prefer Carsley.

Bolton was a disaster, his other non-Celtic jobs were alright... took Hibs up in his first season, and finished 4th in the SPL the next year, and won a cup with Omonia. Not feats of greatness or anything, but not disasters either on balance across his tenures there.

Exactly, enough of a track record for what Ireland can afford right right now.

Plus his Bolton tenure was marred by financial meltdown of the club.

• Advertisement

Hibs was okay, they had finished 2nd and 3rd since being relegated and was one of the bigger teams in the league, and sure Omonia got a cup, but sacked after 7 months because of poor league form.

Disaster maybe a bit harsh - but my point was really that there’s nothing in his CV that suggests he can take an average international side like Ireland and improve them.

Theres nothing in Carsleys either, but he has been working in a very modern international setup and would I think be more progressive than Lennon.

Unfortunately anyone that HAS that sort of CV is by default out of our league. We're in a position of taking a risk whatever way we go, so it's just which risk we take that's the question really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭billyhead

Wasn't Southgate the English U21 manager at some stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's gets us a lot further than the last two campaigns of shite.

Yeah, before he got the senior job. He was bumped up temporarily after Big Sam got the sack, and managed to hang onto it after some decent results and proficient waistcoat wearing. No comparison between his profile and Carsley though - Southgate was a big name high profile England player (and one time captain), so was a much much easier transition than it would be to promote Lee Carsley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭secman

Southgate wasn't really a big name, mainly played for a mid table side Villa, never played for a top tier PL team. Prior to villa he played for Palace and finished up at Middlesbrough .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I would contend against the description of Ireland as an "average side". We aren't. We are a low tier European nation and have been for years. Results don't lie over a long period neither do the quality of our players. The likes of Luxembourg, Albania, Macedonia, Georgia etc - that's our competition at the moment.

Whoever takes this job is taking a big risk.

57 England caps! As well as hugely respected and liked all round in the British media and fan base. His profile is completely different to someone like Carsley, which is the comparison that's relevant here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

The inevitable loan move for Michael Obafemi has occured. He's joined Millwall on loan for the remainder of the season.

Great! The whole Burnley thing was an awful idea, was way too much competition to get regular game-time, especially with a move up to the PL - though I hope he at least got a nice pay bump out of it. Would hope he'd nearly go straight into Milwall's starting 11, or be in it fairly soon, and if he does well enough he could be in line to start for Burnley in the championship next season since they'll likely have to let a few lads go when they go down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Carsley played 40 times for Ireland and was extremely underrated by some around here.

Southgate is actually a great comparison. Both did well at England underage level. Carsley even better than Southgate.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I think we're at cross purposes in the conversation - I'm talking about their respective profiles in England, and saying why Southgate was an easier sell for their national job than Carsley would be. Basically I'm just saying that despite winning the U21 WC, I don't see Carsley having any chance of being made England manager.

In terms of the Irish job, I totally agree that Carsley's Irish appearance record is huge in any application for the job with us, and he's certainly one of top candidates (albeit with a large asterisk of his own).

Hughton gone from Ghana now.

Been a mare of a tenure for him... I hope at least now that he's gone he doesn't get too much abuse over there, he's a genuinely decent fella, he just wasn't the man for the job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Was Southgate an easy sell for England manager? I was surprised he got the job. He did a decent job at U21, but his club record wasn’t good. His style of football is boring and predictable as well.

It should be to Carsely’s advantage that he doesn’t have the baggage of a failed club career. He chose international management for a reason.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭secman

Southgate was initially appointed as an interim Manager , there was no "Sell" involved. Did well enough and was given job . Nobody knew how his tenure would go as he only had under 21's as a guide for form. Then again the pool of players available to him compared to what's available to Carsley should he get the gig is the real comparison.

Yeah agreed - my point was in relation to Lennon as being the preferred candidate over Carsley due to his experience, but really, when you look at his experience, there’s not much in it that suggests he could be successful.

While Carsley doesn’t have any experience that correlates, he is currently working in a modern International setup and is highly regarded there.

The big question is whether he can coach poorer players at a higher level - a big question in fairness - but I think it’s better to let him try than to give the job to someone where I think we know what we’re going to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,718 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Regular England international when you had terry, rio, Adams, sol Campbell. He was a fairly big name at a time when players where not hoarded by a handful of clubs.

He also managed boro for 3 years

He also managed boro for 3 years

This is what is so different from Carsley.

Southgate had real senior club management experience before England.

That's something Carsley does not have right now.

That's something Kenny did not have, because coming bottom of the SPL and management in the LOI is not the level I am talking about.

That's something Kerr didn't have a look where Ireland ended up, it's something Stan didn't have.

That's why Lennon is always a better option to get us out of this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If it’s between Lennon and Carsley I’d go for Lennon.

He has experience at a reasonably high level with Celtic and Hibs and in European competition. Lennon would get the team performing well again. He might not be a long term appointment but he’d be a better bet to get things turned around in the short to medium term and get those players moving again. Carsley could be a good appointment? but he’d be a riskier option in my opinion. Right now we need these players to get off the floor and to perform like a team with a bit of belief. Lennon could do that job.

Lennon did a good job with Hibernian. They were in the Scottish Championship when he took over. He got them promoted and then got them playing attacking football in the Scottish Premier league and qualified for Europe. So your last sentence in the first paragraph above isn’t accurate.

If it’s between Lennon and Carsley I’d go for Lennon.

You didn't need to tell us that.

We already knew.

If God Almighty himself was up against Lennon and guaranteed that Ireland would be in the top 10 in the world rankings and making it to WC or EC quarter finals within 3 years you would go for Lennon

:)

Eh, I’m more or less putting it the way you are. If those are the two candidates I’d agree with you that Lennon would be the better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭TokTik

He also took Celtic out of the group stages of the Champions League, beating one of the greatest club sides ever to do it. That’s not impressive to you?? That wouldn’t show he can make a team more than the sun of its parts?? You some high ideals!!

Lennon’s record in Europe with Celtic is good and relevant with Ireland in international football I would suggest. Qualified from a CL Group which included a famous win v a great Barcelona team with Messi in his prime. In his second Celtic stint topped an EL group with results that included home and away wins v Lazio. I may have said this before (Fr Tod will confirm lol) but Neil Lennon actually has a better record in Europe with Celtic than either Ange Postecoglou or Brendan Rodgers thus far in Rodgers’ case.

If it is down to these two candidates and you look at the CV of both and make the decision on that basis; then objectively speaking Lennon would be the pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

That win against Barcelona is exactly what we aren't looking for. Barcelona dominated the game had nearly 90% possession and 20 something shots, they just couldn't score. If that's what Lennon is bringing to the table forget about it. Camping inside our own box hoping for a jammy goal.

Carsley is inexperienced managing at senior level but he has an impressive CV and been successful playing decent football at most of the teams he has been involved in and developing young players. Plus he played for us. He was unlucky to be behind Keane, Kinsella and Holland for most of his international career.

I thought people had seen enough of loosing football? If people want the same failed unsuitable style to continue then why sack Kenny at all?

In fairness he has a good couple of results in Europe, but that Barca game was somewhat of an anomaly - kind of like when we beat Germany in 2015. Phenomenal result and achievement but you play that game the same way 10 times and you’re unlikely to replicate that result.

You’ve heard of the term horses for courses. Against Barcelona it was giving up most possession and hitting on the break against other sides in Europe and domestically it was often taking the game to the opposition and on the front foot. Odd that a famous win against what was at the time possibly the best side in the world would be used against a manager but some people are never happy I guess.

They scored twice that night v Barcelona by the way, two jammy goals not just the one “jammy goal”.

Carsley as I said above could be a good appointment but if you’re making the appointment on terms of previous senior level experience he wouldn’t be the choice.

He played for “us”? Is that a factor for you that he played for us but Lennon played for The North?

Master

I would certainly hope the new manager will be adaptable and able to switch tactics based on the opposition. It is needed to manage what is unfortunately a below average team in Europe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement