Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Also purple snack bars- buy a six pack for €2:50 or 12 pack for €5:50.

Then next week a 12 pack Costs €3.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

A lot of them seem to be taking on the Supervalue model I've noticed lately.

Ya know how you might see something priced a few euro more and think it's a total rip off. Say for example a tube of toothpaste is priced at €6 and you think rip off.

Then every 3 weeks their offers change so you now see it on "offer" for €3 and you think feck I must get 2 or 3 of them now while they are on offer. That's what they want.

The killer is the offer price is basically it's normal price. What's worse is you now don't see any genuine offers anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Ye must be obsessed with Coke lads and shite chocolate and fairy liquid🤣. Ye should be buying elderflower cordial, organic chocolate amend Ecover washing up liquid. It’s better for the planet and your taste buds!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭con747

It's that time of night.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,179 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Nobody noticed Listerine's 600ml to 500ml change? more UK examples shrinkflation, skimpflation, cheaper ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭JVince

deposit return will add €3 to that package - which you will get back.

But prices are artificially high to give discounts. Tesco will have a discount every bank holiday weekend - so expect a chance next week to load up without the 15c per can deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

More shrinkflation... Uncle Ben's microwave rice bags. They used to be 250g and are now 220g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

This is pure sneaky on behalf of Dunnes Stores.

Buying 2 x 9 packs will yield you 2 extra rolls for the same price as buying 1 x 16 pk.

Yet the customer probably thinks buying the bigger pack gets them better value....

Also in Dunnes Stores, these own brand frozen sausage rolls (which I can recommend as being very tasty) have gone up twice since the start of the month.

Originally €2, they jumped to €2.75, and this week, to €3. A 33% increase in less than a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭CH3OH

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

With regards to toilet roll in Dunnes, this has been the case for quite a while. I recall nothing noting these exact 2 packs last Summer, with the same discrepancy (2 * 9 pack equal to price to 1 * 16 pack).

They're very expensive for toilet roll regardless, Supervalu (who would hardly be considered a cheap place to shop) have 18 rolls of 3-ply toilet roll for €6.37 (https://shop.supervalu.ie/sm/delivery/rsid/5550/product/supervalu-luxury-toilet-tissue-18-roll-18-roll-id-1675182000).

Funnily enough, this scenario (of the larger pack not necessarily being better value than multiple smaller packs) is why we never let one of our housemates do the shopping when we were all living together, because he'd just grab the biggest of everything under the assumption that it was always the best value.

Post edited by Greyian on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I gave up buying toilet paper.. its gone too expensive.

I only use it in a real emergency.

I'll keep that in mind! I'm doing a SuperValu Click & Collect tomorrow. ;)

That is good value, at 0.35c per roll, it works out at the same price per roll as my usual preference, the Saxon Softest Premium 3 ply in Aldi @ 8.49 for 24 pack, which I think is also good value and reasonably good quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,179 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Only buy loo roll when on offer in Aldi/Lidl. Aldi had 9 roils for €1.59 four months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭appledrop

God almighty for the first time this week, I actually noticed the price of toothpaste! Over €7 fecking euro for Colgate are they having a laugh!

Of of course they now call it an XL pack as if we are fooled, I'll be waiting till its in special offer.

It's like the Rice Crispsy 'Extra large pack' that used to be 720g but now something like 670g, funny it was never called extra large when it was actually bigger!

Some good deals come up on the Amazon bargains thread, but if you have an Amazon account just keep an eye on the prices. I bought a load of Arm & Hammer sensitive very cheap a few months ago https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058154018/amazon-bargains-no-chat-no-referral-links-see-op#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EarWig

Yes, like the other poster says, use Amazon.

I bought two dozen tubes as a Black Friday special. Came in at roughly €2 each for a good quality type of Colgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

SuperValu are always at that crack

Special offer on something but the one on the shelf is slightly different weight full price

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 34,949 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Toothpaste, mouthwash and vitamins have been a stupid price in Dunnes and Tesco for a few years now. Much more reasonable in Aldi or Lidl.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,293 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even Boots own brand, much better value including shampoo, conditioner - such good value has a tendency to go out of stock alas.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yea they’ll have the 250 g pack not on offer mixed in with the 200 g. Only notice it if and when you check your receipts. You need to be like hawk eye with their “offers”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

SuperValu have totally lost the plot recently.

For instance, bags of logs for the 🔥.

All winter they have been charging €4.99 per bag in my local whereas Lidl were €5.99.

It's a small town and both shops are equidistant for most people. SV had sold out by 4pm most days as a € is a good saving and we would buy our other bits n' pieces while we were there.

A couple of weeks ago Lidl dropped their price to €5.49.

Now, any business with a bit of cop on would at least look at their margins and think is there any way they could maybe knock ten or twenty cent off their price and hopefully keep the regular custom.... But no, not SuperValu 🙄. Two days later they INCREASED the price of their logs to €5.25 making the difference between them and Lidl negligible.

With parking much handier all the log buyers have moved to Lidl and SV have only had to restock once in the last two weeks as opposed to every day previously.

Never has the phrase "shooting themselves in the foot" been so apt.

I actually hate super valu- they are the most miserable cynically run company in my opinion- their model is geared towards screwing the last cent out of you rather than their “value” which is a complete misnomer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks everyone for the special offers on toothpaste.

I never noticed the price because we are very fussy about the auld toothpaste so the one we like it just gets thrown into the trolley.

Remember though it's XL so I'm sure it will last me for years!

I only buy it on offer or in the euro shops or up north sometimes. Can be very pricey if paying full whack, though there’s usually something on offer. If not I shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭crayon80

Doesn't anyone just buy the cheapest own brand ? Does it really make a difference unless you particularly love the flavour of ccolgate or need sensitive stuff?

Cheapest own brands were 69- 79c for ages and jumped to €1.50 everywhere. I bought it in Tescos for €1.15 last week. That's not on website anymore and prices are up again . The Cheapest now is a pro sensitive one for €1.30. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/276919314

Still less expensive than branded unless amazon has better value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm wary of cheaper toothpastes, teeth don't grow back!

I know it's probably all in my head (pardon the pun🦷) but I can't get past it.

Advertisement