Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Unless they find some way of limiting it to one €15 charge per address.

Would mean then than 4 mobiles registered at the house wouldn't pay 60 per month.

Personally, I think this is all a bit of kite flying. Can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GoingLinux

If they can privatize bin collections and electricity, why can't they privatize RTE?

Can't you get a NI sim card and roam with broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

The 15 euro on broadband is a 20 euro increase, and we see no signs of change in RTÉ, and would result in 300m+ going to the broadcaster.

Oliver Callahan getting 150k for his show + 250 for PK on TLLS = 400k, and we know PK is doing less shows than RT, so you now have a situation that in reality both shows presenters are getting the near the same money as RT!

While I agree with PSB and funding it I think a % should be added to all telecom products, Pay TV and On Demand Services (Netflix, Amazon and so on).

This would spread the 15 euro out across products rather than this blunt flat fee.

You gomo 9.99 bill would just increase to 10.30 for example on a 3% "license fee". Added to business on a non-refundable basis.

So e.g a household with

Broadband at 40, On Demand services at 40, Mobile Phones at 50, Pay TV at 20 would see their bills increase across all by 3% or €4.50 or a 6% fee of €9.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This will be a punitive tax that seeks to reward RTE. Why should we be paying for RTE's fook ups?

If this government brings this in, they will loose a lot of seats in the next election.

I live alone and I could be paying €30 a month because I have broadband and a mobile.

I pity households who have multiple mobile phones and broadband too.

Lastly I am wondering if you have a dumb phone such as a basic Doro or a pay as you go phone will you be paying as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Bahah so wait, the cultured people watching Rte???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Seems like RTE is going to get what they have wanted for some time: unconditional payment from the public regardless of whether they have televisions.

The ironic thing is that they will have achieved this through being incompetent and greedy.

Prior to this, you had the right to not pay RTE fully legally, though it meant not owning a TV. Now this final bit of consumer power that might keep RTE accountable is being taken away.

The correct response to the RTE scandals is to give consumers more power, not less. Don't take the tiny bit of power away from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Forbes fallout continues:

And still she hasn't appeared before the Oireachtas committees.

Regards...jmcc

Bloody Hell! This looks really bad for the board of RTE and for Forbes.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So who exactly signed off on it?

The report will be published tomorrow but apparently the board was meant to sign off on it. They did not. Some of them might be encouraged to resign for the good of RTE. This is far worse for Forbes and the former board of RTE than the Tubridy paynents scandal.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Fantastic timing really, when the talk was about direct funding through taxation or a levy on broadband. Remind everyone what these crooks did and why giving them a blank cheque is a horrendous idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Is this the state of Governance in semi state and state bodies in this country? Someone was brazen and confident enough to run this production using our funds without approval from the board. The board theselves were obviously not performing in their duties and viewed as a soft touch.

Frightening levels of incompentence with our funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just when you thought the lack of control and waste of money couldn't get any worse at rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Just on Dee Forbes, I can recall sometime back when she removed her profile from LinkedIn. There are a couple of "Dee Forbes" still on LinkedIn but the job description of one of them really struck me. All I could think of to myself: Jesus that chap, if he only knew the half of it 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's safe to assume that RTÉ will be nothing like the Toy Show Musical in the future. Furthermore, Tubs is long gone. Presumably, the new levy will remove the threat of prosecution for having a TV set without a licence.

What's going to happen with any new "levy" is that there will be a threat of termination of the political career of any politician involved. This is the Irish Water tax scam on steroids in terms of public anger.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who in RTE signed the contract with the production venue?

we need names

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Just because Tubs is long gone, does not mean RTE is forgiven or forgotten. We do not know what the future RTE will look like but we will have a fairly good idea by what RTE does in 2024.

And as has already been pointed out, anyone who introduces this levy is committing political suicide.

Post edited by skimpydoo on

The report will be published this morning. The Indo's coverage is more than damning on the board members and management. The Oireachtas committees seem to want more appearances from RTE people. The appearances of the RTE people in front of the committees are much more popular than Tubridy's LLS or that musical. Wouldn't be suprised to see more calls for the breakup of RTE.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Trampas

Still can’t understand how people can just walk away with their pensions and don’t need to answer questions on their actions or hide behind a doctor’s note. Has she gone to an independent doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

How is it not criminal behaviour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Did anyone see Toy Show the Musical? What was the plot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Dee Forbes is a **** of the highest and also a coward hiding behind MH

€15 per month on every broadband bill is absolutely nuts. It could end up doing damage to Ireland's broadband uptake to fund a legacy industry.

I can see the telcos being really annoyed about this. It could kill half the mobile broadband market for example.

A €15 a month hike in the price of say GoMo or similar would more than double the price of their plans.

This is as stupid as the proposal to tax text messages about 10 years ago.

Also, in most households there's a broadband service on everyone's mobile and probably the fixed line broadband too. So you could be looking at 2, 3 or even 4 people if you'd a couple of teens, with accounts. How's that going to work? There's no way households are going to pay €720 a year for RTE.

Some people living in the village of Montrosia saw the success of Riverdance and wanted to earn loads of money and acclaim. But it all ended in tragedy for the Montrosians. :)

Regards...jmcc

At this stage, it looks like they'll have to dismantle RTE. I don't really see how it can be repaired. It's clearly in need of more than restructuring. I think it's time to just start with a totally new model for public service broadcasting.

RTE doesn't even achieve many of the things you'd expect from a PSB. For example it has a complete lack of regional broadcasting and can't even seem to even resource the regional correspondents properly

It's a 1960s model that comes from an era of an assumed monopoly, no satellite, cable or IPTV and a single centralised tv provider when it was extremely expensive and technically complex to produce.

There's a need for a massive rethinking of how we do this, not just lobbing a fee on random utility bills.

It would require an investigation to determine what laws, if any, have been broken and then would require a prosecution.

Regards...jmcc

I'm still not quite sure what RTE's structure actually is.

It doesn't appear to be a normal company structure. The majority of the so called 'semi-states' like the ESB are structured exactly as a commercial company would be, just with the state as the main or only shareholder.

RTE seems to be some kind of other structure. I've yet to have it properly explained.

It seems to have an executive board and a non-executive board, which used to be called the RTE Authority.

I'm unclear as to whether it's a company or what it is exactly, which is even more bizarre as I can't even seem to find a proper description of it anywhere.

I mean, you can see the structure of it described, but there's no terminology used i.e. 'this is a limited company' etc

Sometimes it seems to behave like a company. Sometimes it behaves like a some other kind of public body that's not quite described.

Does anyone know what it actually is? It's a fairly fundamental question.

• Advertisement

Advertisement