Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've read back about 6 pages and haven't come across this query yet, I've seen one or two of the machines, they aren't particularly large, i've a teen son working in a very large supermarket here in Limerick, I might find where they have installed the machines, do the machines compact and reduce the size of the returned bottles? Is it true the bottle must be returned intact, no deformity or damage whatsoever to the bottle?

the reason for the question is manpower, in my sons busy supermarket is there a potential to have a return machine filled and out of action quickly, how happy are the supermarkets going to be when they realise the labour and manpower to keep these operational, don't get me wrong I'm in favour of some kind of scheme but I just cant get my head around if this is going to succeed.

I reckon a busy store could need one or two staff nearly dedicated to emptying and ensuring its functional, and they will also require another skip or container to store said returns securely to prevent theft while awaiting bulk collection

Grew up in canada as kid in the 70's best thing was attending big BBQ's or parties where empty beer bottles where collected and returned for money

done bit differently there as the beer is bought and sold thru government owned outlets, one track in for returns, order pay and use credit was all very seemless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I believe the reverse vending machines will be emptied by re-turn, not supermarket staff, so there should be no change to newbie. If they were to be emptied by supermarket staff that means more employment so not a bad thing either

I've not seen any evidence of machines filling up quickly in other countries to the point where they become unusable so I doubt this will happen in Ireland as we use the same machines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Producer pays a membership fee to be part of re-turn (as they do in RePak). Producers and Retailers own re-turn on a not for profit basis. Any surplus gets re-invested or more likely leads to a marginally lower producer fee.

Producer pays a fee to put each bottle/can on the market.

Retailer gets a small fee for every bottle or can returned to cover buying the vending machine, operating (servicing) it, staff costs, etc. Retailers also get a fee if they dont have a vending machine but take returns and store them in bags. Retailers availing of the exemption dont get a fee.

Consumer pays deposit. Deposit goes to retailer, then to re-tturn.

When the consumer brings back the bottle, the retailer that they return it to has to offer them cash. That retailer then returns the bottles and return refunds the deposit and gives them their retailer handling fee.

Return sells the plastic and cans to the producers, who then get it turned into new cans and bottles. Producers have first call on the materials based on what they put on the market.

Return is funded through producer fees, unclaimed deposits (declining over time) and sale of materials.

No one makes big money.

Retailers get their costs covered and should do well on footfall.

Producers are obliged to solve the packaging problem for cans and bottles and this does that by paying to collect them in a way which means they can more easily be processed for reuse. Producers are paying a big price tag to fund the scheme but they'd be paying for some solution anyway.

Charities will probably make a few quid once they start persuading people to donate bottles and cans

Young kids will probably do very well as they did back in the early 80s, when a similar scheme funded the penny sweet market for many of us.

Litter drops, recycling of those specific items increases.

The machines crush them after they go in, once the barcode is read.

The machines should be collected every few days depending on volumes returned.

The stores are being paid a handling fee per bottle/can returned which will help defray cost of manpower.

After the first few weeks (allowing for customer confusion) the management of this should be considerably less than the management of for example a cardboard compactor, and that doesnt make a return to any of the stores.

The machines crush them after they go in, once the barcode is read

Are you sure about this. I can see how it would work for crushing aluminium cans, but plastic bottles with the lid on them would take a lot of pressure to crush would they not?

Not saying you're wrong but there's enough haters out there that will jump on you if you have that wrong

• Advertisement

I'm not searching all of the six or seven approved suppliers in the Irish scheme, but the Tomra ones definitely do. There is a description on their website. The eco-vend ones do too. Those are the suppliers I have experience of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Mild storms in winter!! What next rain? Hail? Sleet??

spoiler alert: we’ve always had storms in Ireland in winter, even before they put scary colours on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

According to a fluffy article on breakingnews today, 'New Amárach research has revealed that 82 per cent of consumers support the introduction of the deposit return scheme'

I wonder what the sample size was on that survey because thats not at all what i get from talking to people about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Id love to see the results of a survey on what proportion of consumers claim to have a reasonable knowledge of how this scheme operates.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

And what proportion realise that the introduction of this scheme is going to lead to increased bin charges.

You can already imagine what it's going to be. "The bin companies are taking less of my rubbish and charging me for it!!!! Disgrace! Pure greed!".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Not prone to hyperbole? Do you equate anyone who isn't 100% supportive of the scheme a hater? Usual binary position you're either fully in love or a hater. The real world has a bit more nuance to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

100% apart from Board I wouldn’t have a clue this was coming

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just talked to someone in my office who hadn't heard of it. The answer was I pay more if I put them in my recycling bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

They have machines for plastic bottles in supermarkets in France. I had look last summer knowing that it was coming in here. Quite a lot of work to store and transport. These machine shred the bottles as you feed them in, looks quite efficient and vaguely satisfying, adding to the pile of blue “crystals” in the machine. In return you get a little printout which you get cash or goods for in the shop.

im not sure where you’d store them, these machines didn’t look like they’d take crushed bottles so that might be a challenge if you don’t have a garage or shed.

in a local village I saw a collection bin outside a community hall, I’m guessing someone looks after emptying it, maybe for charity? Maybe scouts or similar here will collect them?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Definitely will be people who wont have heard, but equally, the advertising campaign on radio tv and online has been pretty extensive. Also starting to see a lot of interviews with them in the papers and broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

amazingly I've not seen or heard any advert on tv or radio, maybe I switch off 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yeah, I support the scheme but the advertising campaign has been shocking. None of my friends know about it.

It might be all over TV and radio but I've seen nothing on the likes of Instagram or TikTok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Thank you for apologizing.

And no i'm not suggesting that at all about bin companies, i was suggesting that either: A) they take our recyclables and recycle it (or send it off to be recycled), or B) they sell the recyclables in bulk to other countries who then have people pick through them or whatever to make a profit from the recyclables.

one mans trash is another man's treasure! every little helps!

The better environment excuse though is speculative, there was posts earlier in the thread about the mindset of people throwing away their cans once they realize its damaged and can't get their deposit back from it, i don't imagine everyone will still hold onto their cans in that scenario. What do you recon? and how does "re-direction of the same amount of recycling being done" = "more recycling being done" ?

if its being directed then its only being accounted for in the new scheme, and not through the bin companies or less being sold to other countries, who then go on and recycle some of it anyway.

We don't benefit, government benefits by having more of a bigger number to hold up and say "this is what we recycled" .

If we recycle via bin companies, and if they sell it instead of recycling it in our country, thats recycling numbers going up in another country instead, resulting in ireland losing out on getting to claim those numbers. yes?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

Not as many and not as extreme but yes we have always had them

indeed! there's too many people with black and white thinking when it comes to this. And too many jobsworths also looking to nit-pick.

We should all really be just having a laugh at the whole scheme instead of arguing with eachother and jumping down eachothers throats anyway.

i really don't like the scheme and think the organizations behind it are being scummy, but i still intend on putting the scheme to use

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Its definitely on instagram, both organic and with spend behind it. I've seen a lot of ads there.

Wouldnt have a clue about tiktok.

I was expecting to see more advertising in shops, you know, the most likely place where you'll be returning your stuff, very disappointing indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They haven't even had the cop on to put information signs up at the machines that are being installed but not in use yet - so people know what's coming.

I've seen about half a dozen and only one of them has any sort of information on it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think this has been the most disappointing aspect. I know the scheme provided retailers with materials some time back. The roll out has been really patchy. Lidl & Aldi did a good job getting in to their brochure. Tesco seems to have a fair bit of Point of Sale. Very little elsewhere. The retailers will tell you, with some justification, that they wont advertise these things more than a few weeks in advance because people arent interested and just get confused if you tell them about a scheme that is ages away. Also, they were never going to do anything pre-Christmas. You ask a retailer to do anything in December and they will understandably tell you where to go.

Who is meant to pay for the advertising in that case?

Maybe ReTurn don't really want to draw attention to the deposits and want to keep them instead of cans and bottles? who knows.

either way its a win-win for them.

Re-turn pays for the advertising, funded in the way that we have discussed so far.

Some retailers have had ads, like the Lidl ones I mentioned in their brochures. That has a cost by leaving something else out

By campaign standards this is extensive. Four weeks in October and pretty blanketed from Christmas to after launch.

Notable that virtually every retailer has now had a press release about the scheme covered in the national press - all bar Dunnes and Dunnes dont PR.

i was thinking that and mentioned it earlier, but was called a liar told i was making stuff up when mentioning the whole "non-profit" business side of the scheme. regarding advertising

• Advertisement

I dont think i saw that.

Lots of non-profits advertise. A good chunk of the state services (non-commercial) operate on a non-profit basis and the state is one of the biggest advertiser there is.

RePak is not for profit, they advertise plenty.

Also should have said, the retailers will probably pay for printing of some of the material in store, cos they probably got that as digital files and not printed material. Would be a waste to do it otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement