Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance.

• 23-01-2024 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

my wife is between cars at the moment. Sold her car a couple weeks ago and she needs a car.

her insurance is up also

we haven’t purchased her replacement car yet, shopping around to find the right one.

her father has a car that he essentially never drives, the car is registered in his name.

can she get insurance on this car in her own fresh policy.

any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

She would need to own it to insure under her name.

Could look at being a named driver on his policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

Don't let her no claims bonus go after the ridiculous 2 years they use if she isn't a main policy holder, the premiums will skyrocket if it does.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭obi604

What’s this 2 year thing?

she has a no claims discount of 20 years or so

If she doesn't renew her no claims bonus by being a main driver on a policy she loses ALL her built up years and reverts back to having no no claims bonus which is absolutely a complete scam by the insurance companies. Even if she is a named driver but doesn't have a policy in her own name in Ireland it makes no difference.

• Advertisement

fook. So I got missed up, her insurance premium does not end until the 31st Jan

if she does not renew this on 31st Jan in her own name with her own car, does she loose her no claims bonus?

You have 2 years after your last policy to keep it active, myself and other half alternate it every year to be sure it keeps both of our no claims active. I know a spouse can own a car and the other half can insure it even thought they don't own it but not sure about other family members. Best to make the call to an insurance company to find out 100%.

I should be fine here. Her current policy does not end until 31st Jan. and we hope to get a new car in coming weeks.

Are you saying she loses the no claims if she does not renew insurance in her own name within 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If she has no insurance in her own name for two years then her no-claims discount is gone. You said she sold her car two weeks ago so for the moment, she has nothing to worry about.

She should phone her insurance, tell them she has sold her car, wants to borrow an uninsured car from her father and ask if they will temporarily move her cover to that car, they may agree. If they won't agree, she should ask to have her policy suspended. Though it's so slose to the renewal date that they probably won't do that.

If she has sold her car, she should not simply renew the policy and let the clock run with no car insured.

• Advertisement

ok good regrading the 2 years scenario. No issue for me there then. as hope to have another new car of her own in a few weeks or even sooner.

thing is this intermediate period where she wants to user her fathers car until we purchase a new one.

yeah her renewal is on the 31st Jan - so another week so they probably wont care, although if they want to hold on to her as a customer for another year, maybe they might care.

My high level thinking is

- insure her on her fathers car in her own name etc

- then when we get her new car (in her own name etc), just transfer the insurance over

but probably wont be as simple as this

Always try to remember about that ridiculous 2 year rule they have, I know a few people who didn't know about it and after 30 odd years of a perfect driving record they were back to getting quotes like an 18 year old! I have reminders set on my calendar just in case I forget who needs to alternate the policy.

I definitely will, the 2 year thing wont even start for me until another week, so I am sure not to let it slip

Not sure why you're throwing it back at us for more suggestions 🙄

Has she asked her insurance if they will cover her to drive her father's car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can do temporary transfers to cars you don't own, people do it all the time with cars from garages. The problem you have is that come the 1st Feb you have no policy to do a temporary transfer from.

If her Dad's car isn't worth much you could transfer it to her and then transfer it back to her Dad when she gets her new car, she can then insure it which will also clear the owed motor tax. Another option is if you have GoCar or Yuko close by or hire a car(s) for a few weeks, the crazy prices from a few years ago are gone.

Thank you. Yeah it’s tricky.

Sounds like best option would be to put the car in her name and just leave it in her name. I guess there would be no issues with selling it in her name.

and then she can insure the bloody thing properly for a few weeks.

what’s the thing about the worth of her dads car - as in when trying to sell and the number of owners is high etc?

Post edited by obi604 on

A newish car with 2 change of ownerships in a short period of time will be a red flag.

what’s the thing about the worth of her dads car - as in when trying to sell and the number of owners is high etc?

How old is her father's car and how many previous owners has it had? From what you've told us: 'her father has a car that he essentially never drives' it doesn't sound like a very recent model. Why would he have a newish car and never drive it?

You're doing a lot of tyre kicking here while the clock is running out on your wife. She can't renew her policy on Jan 31st if she has no car to insure. What I mean is that she cannot simply pay the renewal premium because the assumption is that she owns and is the principal driver of the car whose registration number is on the policy. If she no longer owns that car, she cannot renew the policy as it is currently constructed.

It’s 2020. Was his wife’s car and she died in September.

his wife was the first owner

• Advertisement

Photocopy the registration cert, then ask your father in law to transfer ownership to your wife and let her insure it. If she sells the car subsequently or transfers it back to her father, she or he can show the copy of the earlier cert to a future prospective buyer to show that it was an inter-family transfer.

thanks. Don’t get you about photocopying the registration cert.

As proof of it's ownership just being transferred between family members for insurance reasons and not a sale outside the family.

Thanks. When you mention ‘insurance’ above, are you referring to car insurance?

what would this matter to the car insurance?

I can see it matters to selling and the less number of owners the better

aorey for the silly questions here.

That might cover when the OP sells. The next seller has to explain why a 2020 car has 4 owners.

Why can't she use her mother's old unused car instead of buying another car and leaving her mother's to rot?

Her mothers car is 2020.

ita too small for our needs. We just want to use it for a few weeks whilst we buy a proper family car and then sell it.

It doesn't matter to the insurance, I only said that so if you sold the car with an extra owner on it you could explain to the new buyer why there was a change in ownership within the family so your wife could insure it under her own name. As the post above says though maybe she would be just better off keeping the car.

Then get her Father needs to insure it and add her as a named driver, he'll take a hit on insurance when cancelling the policy so soon after taking it out, or look at renting for a few weeks.

Her father has not had an insurance policy in a few years. Not even truly fit to drive to be honest.

Post edited by obi604 on

• Advertisement

Did a couple of quotes there. Her previous broker Chill. Asks her to pick reg of car, at no point in the form does it ask who is the registered owner of the car. Quote comes back as normal pricing.

also tried with anpost insurance , this did ask who is the registered owner of car and had a drop down, picked ‘father’

quote again came back reasonable.

do certain brokers not put too much emphasis on who is the registered owner.

both fully comp quotes

Once you are honest on the form and answer everything they request honestly I can't see how there would be an issue but we all know insurance companies will look for any way out of a claim. I would hope once you don't lie about anything you should be Ok though.

I double checked chill as herself did it first and said they did not ask who was registered owner of car and I was like are you sure.

so did it again myself just to test and no question about who is registered owner of car.

oh trust me I will be 110% honest as I know these insurance companies will do anything to get out of a potential case etc.

I think that whole "import" thing came up when the younger generation were buying Nissan Skylines and similar years ago AFAIK but stand to be corrected!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yep, it's a jump through hoops game with them!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

So do ye reckon I am ok here?

from some comments on this thread, it seemed the only way for this to work was to have the car in wife’s name, but now it seems I can proceed without this happening.

• Advertisement

OP, once you give honest and truthful answers on the proposal form, you're in the clear but watch out when you tick the box 'I have read and agree to the terms and conditions'. Be sure to read the Ts & Cs and sometimes there is a list of 'Assumptions' which you also need to read.

True. Does it seem strange though that I can insure a car registered to someone else at normal prices. And that one broker didn’t even ask who the car I was insuring was registered to

not complaining etc 😁😁 but just wondering based on what’s been said here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭MikeCairo78

So in 2019 there was passed a piece of legislation called Consumer Insurance Contracts Act, this was enacted in September 2020. This changed the nature of insurance contracts one this being insurable interest being a requirement for a contract of insurance(something not known by Board members), there is no longer a requirement to have insurance interest in what you want to insure, so you no longer need to "own" a car before you can insure it.

ok, good to know, thanks for the great information. This really puts my mind at ease.

I was thinking of transferring car to wife name etc etc

so hopefully all above board then with the quotes my wife has got so far

is there anything in the small print I could get stung with or does the above act cover me?

Post edited by obi604 on

But an insurer can still refuse to insure a car that you do not own. Or allow you to take out a fire policy on the house across the road. The law says they can't refuse a claim on the basis that the policyholder has no insurable interest in the asset, it does not say that they are obliged to issue a policy in the first place.

So if, in the Ts and Cs or the 'Assumptions' that you click on, it says that the policyholder must be the registered owner and principal driver of the car being insured, that rules out insuring a car that you do not own.

7. (1) A claim by a consumer under an otherwise valid contract of insurance shall not be rejected by the insurer by reason only that the consumer does not have, or did not have at the time when the contract was entered into, an interest in the subject-matter of the contract.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/act/53/section/7/enacted/en/html#sec7

• Advertisement

did another online quote there with aviva and no question asked about are you the registered owner of this car

edit. did a few more as below

Post edited by obi604 on

You need to read the assumptions and T&Cs. They will happily take your money with few questions, if you need to use the policy they will ask questions.

Reading the Ts and Cs and the assumptions is essential. But, at claim time, they cannot spring something out of the hat and make out that it was a 'material fact' that you failed to disclose. At proposal time (when you're filling out their form), they ask questions, you provide truthful answers, that fulfills your obligations.

8. (1) The duties in this section replace, at the pre-contractual stage of a contract of insurance, the principle of utmost good faith (uberrima fides) and any duty of disclosure of a consumer (including any duty on the consumer to volunteer information) that applied prior to the commencement of this section (whether that principle or duty arose at common law or under an enactment).

(2) The pre-contractual duty of disclosure of a consumer is confined to providing responses to questions asked by the insurer, and the consumer shall not be under any duty to volunteer any information over and above that required by such questions.

(3) Where the insurer requests the consumer at the pre-contractual stage to provide information to the insurer, the insurer shall be under a duty to ask specific questions, on paper or on another durable medium, and shall not use general questions.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/act/53/section/8/enacted/en/html#sec8

Post edited by coylemj on

You don't have to volunteer anything but you do have to read the assumptions and T&Cs.

The OP has Aviva not asking if they own the car on the list that they posted. When they ticked the assumptions box to get the quote they never bothered to read them as the 3rd assumption about YOUR car on the website is

"Is owned by and registered in either your name or your Wife/Husband/Partner"

At claim time Aviva don't need to spring something out of the hat and make out that it was a 'material fact' that you failed to disclose. The OP ticked a box saying that they owned the car when they don't, which is a fairly major material fact.

ah sugar, did I miss the Aviva assumptions so?

Would you not just ring them at this stage and ask? People here can only give you advice the actual insurance company can give you the facts which you can ask to be emailed to you so you have proof of what was said.

You quoted my post and kicked off by stating that '...you do have to read the assumptions and T&Cs'.

Which suggests that you failed to notice the first sentence of my post.....

Reading the Ts and Cs and the assumptions is essential

Post edited by coylemj on

I ran an Aviva online quote out of pure curiosity - ownership of the vehicle being quote is not one of the assumptions.

Don't know why you quoted me, your issue is with poster Del2005. In post #47 he contradicts what you just said.

He and I both agree that you always need to read the assumptions and the Ts & Cs.

Apologies I have no issue, genuine interest on my own part. Apols if you took that up the wrong way.

Seems to be the norm on Boards from what I see. As I say absolutely no issue.

Apologies again

• Advertisement
Advertisement