Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cillian Murphy being nominated for an Oscar should NEVER be the main news story at the top of the hour news.

1st off, it's entertainment news, and secondly its hardly a shock he was nominated.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

We wouldn't be half as excited about the nomination if it was for some groundbreaking innovation in the Nobel Prize.

Arts community are so annoying. It's make believe lads.

The fawning over Cillian Murphy, Barry Keoghan and Paul Mescal is getting very annoying.

Yes, they are good actors (well at least one of them is anyway), but it's not unusual for countries to have good actors. It's hardly ground breaking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, we would. He's Irish - if he got nominated for world's best traffic warden, it'd still make front page news (and not because he isn't actually a traffic warden!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Man stabbed to death in California , he was stabbed dozens of times but killer gets probation and community service as the murderer had "cannabis induced psychosis"

Pathetic that this is an excuse, surely this sort of logic would mean killing someone when drunk driving is not punishable as clearly the person was drunk when it happened and can't have responsibility for what happens when drunk.

Also if cannabis induced psychosis is a thing surely this means that the substance of not safe for consuming and therefore attempts at legalising it should be scaled back.

• Advertisement

Seen that dozens of times sadly. Escpecially in Ireland. Then people go and blame the drug as if everyone who ever takes a drug is going to go out and stab someone or mow someone down.

My controversial opinion? Drugs are tools that should be used be responsible people but the press only highlights drugs being used by irrelsponsible fuckwits and other fuckwits believe what they read.

As Bill Hicks said, wouldn't ie be nice to have one positive drug story in the news for a change?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Small landlords getting out of the rental market is not always a bad thing. Doing so potentially frees up a property for someone to buy and start a family, something that is not really possible when renting from a small landlord.

"Potentially" - could also be selling to to soemone like Marc Godart...

I guess the issue is that cannabis like all drugs hs potential negative side effects (still the person ingesting it must be responsible for their actions) however it always seems like the pro-cannabis legalisation lobby like to put forward the idea that it's completely harmless with no side effects, when like all drugs that isn't the case.

Although I'd be broadly in favour of legalising all recreational drugs and if people can't handle them it's their own fault but it should never be used as an excuse for bad behaviour or used to help reduce prison sentences.

Yeah. I'd agree: it's not the drug that has to be responsible, it's the person consuming it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...try have a logical chat with a person out of their brain....

...if an addiction is in place, a person doesnt need criticism and ridicule over the behavior, but adequate help and support, our legal systems arent truly capable of doing this, as its largely a health care issue, in particular a psychological health care issue!

I heard the news today talk about a 17yr old being investigated in that Xmas Eve murder in Blanchardstown.

It mentioned children court and how he can't be named as he's a child.

He's 17, involved in a double murder investigation yet society has to treat him as a child.

Let's be honest, most of these types of guys are very dangerous from about 14 onwards. Time to lower the legal age of a 'child' for serious crimes down to 13.

...or maybe we should heavily invest in support services, to try prevent such outcomes, many such individuals would come from impoverished backgrounds, i.e. multi system failure in dealing with such folks needs, from welfare system, educational system, health care system failures, etc etc, i.e. our current monumental property market failures are a perfect breeding ground for such outcomes, i.e. if you think we have problems now, just wait a while!

Problem is any investment in improving lives of the impoverished outside of "give them more dole money" would be rejected by the bleeding hearts brigade who seem to want to improve the live of people from poorer background but at the same time don't want to implement any constructive policies that would achieve those results like mandatory education/job training programmes for people on the dole long term or having them do charity/volunteer work.It would actually give people who are imposhivered some sense of purpose and a goal in life and help them improve their lives.

yes cause we all love being made do stuff!!!

such folks needs are far more complicated than just give them a few more quid, or better still, lets make them do stuff, i.e. work, that doesnt interest them at all, and better again, lets pay them little or nothing for doing so, yes, we d all love that, this definitely encourages humans!!!

heres some better ideas, lets try create a more stable property market, not like the complete train wreck we currently have, thats currently leading to a rise in criminal outcomes, noting, once that enters peoples lives, i.e. criminality, best of luck with trying to get it out of their lives!!!

lets actually properly address difficulties within out education system with issues such as learning disabilities etc, also a well known fact amongst the criminal populations, i.e. within our prison populations, as we all know, its very easy to gain access to such supports within our current educational system, particularly at a younger age, very easy!!!

...or better still, lets sit on the internets, continue to ridicule and shame such folks, let them slid into criminality, shur whats the harm there, doesnt effect us taxpayers at all, shur tis cheap to continually incarcerate people, to have them just remain within the justice system, shur tis grand!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's true that people suffering from an addiction need help and support but its also true that most addicted people got that way from making their own bad choices

Well Cannabis induce psychosis (as was used as defence for that women stabbing a guy to death in America recently ) would be an example.

All drugs have potential negative side effects.

Even when the property market was normal there were people who made no effort at life and were downtrodden because of it, you fix the property market it won't address most poverty at all. It is not lack of support that holds such people back its their parents and their parents before them who don't make a proper effort at life, in that instance you have to entice people to make an effort at life not give them more free stuff.

I hate to break it to you but the vast majority of people have no real interest in their jobs but they do them because they want to have some standard of living.I don't think mandating people learn a trade or attend education is such a bad idea for getting people moving and trying to improve their lives, it's better than doing nothing and just letting them live off the state.Having something to do even if you don't like it is far better than doing nothing.

Firstly, not everyone who takes drugs is automatically "out of their brain".

If an addiction is in place, then the user more than likely is aware of that (even if they won't admit it to themselves) and if someone goes to court and says that they have an addiction or a problem with a drug, but STILL went ahead and took it, then THEY are responsible for taking the drug and whatever acts that followed that landed them in court. NOT the drug.

• Advertisement

I think there was a new law - or an idea for one - that they could be named once they reach their 18th birthday, regardless of how old they were when they commited the crime.

Definitely, but there's no 100% solution. There'll always be scumbags who do scumbag things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think the law is that they can be named only if the case is ongoing in the courts. If judgement and sentencing happens before 18th birthday they can't be named. That's what I recall from reading about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

I suspect this really isn't that controversial, unless of course you really hate cyclists or you are a major car brain.

The government should consider giving interest-free loans to people to purchase cargo bikes and should also invest in secure on street parking for the said bikes. They should also consider creating schemes in towns and cities where you can rent cargo bikes. They are already investing in cycling infrastructure so would make sense to help people that need to transport large items and option that doesn't involve driving or having to pay for a taxi.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

Is this controversial? Or is that past tense?

Pro EU zealots are every bit as bad for Europe as Anti EU zealots.The EU although beneficial in some ways is clearly filled with zealots who want to erode any sense of national identity and screw over people who don't fully row in behind the EU project.Planning to screw over a country (and it's citizens) because they don't agree with the country's prime minister is hardly the actions of a reasonable organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Well it’s ridiculous to state it forbids garlic, traditional ragu alla bolognese does not call for it no.

the mirepoix veg (carrot, celery, onion), white wine, quality mince and a bay leaf are plenty enough for good flavours. Also a good chicken stock is essential. That in and of itself will be packed with herbs and flavourings.

But that’s the traditional recipe. I’ve made it before and it’s absolutely unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

I posted a link to the officially registered recipe which clearly states that garlic is forbidden.

• What’s going to happen if I use it? Will the police come and take me away for crimes against pasta sauce?

You know the Italian espresso institute forbids a lot of things too, but that’s Italians for you.

I wouldn’t get too worked up over a bit of garlic in a bolognese sauce in any case. As I say, Italians are well known to be very particular and tradition means an awful lot to them.

You should see how they get over chicken or pineapple on pizza.

• Advertisement

• Just realised the last time I made bolognese the chicken stock had garlic in it.

Well, that’s me away to prison now.

Advertisement