Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There you go again - trying to provoke a racist response. Would you ever give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What is wrong with living among immigrants?

I'm not provoking anything, I am asking reasonable questions. There are hundreds of immigrants living around me. Has absolutely no impact on my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Why don't you address the fact that we're full, we're handing out tents. Our services are either collapsed or near collapse. We have done our bit for the size of our country so stop with your nonsense about us not wanting immigrants. Why don't you state how many more this country can take in without a total collapse of all services and like. State a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KloppOn

Really disappointed that he didn't get the 9am Radio 1 slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The problem is not that 'we are full' it is that our services are mismanaged to a massive extent and have been for years. That is the fault of governments, those governments are where the anger should be directed. And forced to do something about those services.

As you said yourself, we are a rich country, how things are not better managed is beyond me. I'm not willing to allow governments to shirk their responsibility.

There are thousands of empty properties all over the country. They need to incentive the use of same. Through higher taxation for vacant properties, and more grants etc for bringing them into use.

The lack of government built social housing for decades has added to the housing crisis. They have outsourced their responsibility to foreign investors. That should be stopped immediately. If you do not live in the country, or have ties to the country, then you do not get to buy thousands of properties to rent back to the state at exorbitant rents.

The health service has always been an absolute disaster, I don't know enough about the workings of it to understand all the problems, but there are experts talking about solutions for years. Maybe it's time government listened.

I just don't buy into this Ireland is full nonsense, it's badly managed.

• Advertisement

She has succeeded Peter Sutherland in the role of high priest of migration. And she will likewise be unchallenged in any interviews. In fairness, it's not like Peter didn't warn us in advance of the plan: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-18519395

Simple. Our services including housing cannot cope with the population boom this government has caused.

Services should of been put in place and properly resourced before this government ran population boom proceeded. Including proper holding facilities and proper immigration controls

When the Ukraine crisis started all other apart from essential migration should of stopped to allow for influx of war refugees. But saying this the payments should of been seriously managed better.

Our services will never ever recover no matter how much money is spent while we keep swamping them and demand massively overtakes demand.

What needs done is a total cessation to uncontrolled immigration, only skilled migrants should be allowed entry to help build services. No more uncontrolled immigration until the proper services are put in place and Irish citizens needs are treated and met.

Being proactive instead of reactive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I remembered an article in the IT from a few years back and it described the ‘diversity’ and ‘inclusiveness’ in the area where Sutherland lived. copied below

There’s no sign of a siege outside on the quiet Kensington square where he lives. The white plaster facades are as pristine as the gated private garden in the centre, surrounded by Jaguars and Land Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Maybe ask the good people of Foxrock, Goatstown or Malahide etc... why they don't want to live among them.

There are parts of the UK I know well that have been utterly destroyed by immigration. Go to Bradford, Birmingham, London to name but a few and then come back to me and tell me why most don't want to live with every Tom, Dick and Harry from the 3rd world next door to them.

Immigration is great, when it's the right type of immigrants who are carefully picked for skills that will enhance our country for everyone but especially for native Irish people but as we know you included this isnt what is occuring at present.

People like you will be scratching their heads in a few years time when the far right take government in this country because decisions on limiting numbers won't be made now by this weak as hell government.

I'm a nationalist btw and make no apology for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

All of the 20 burned buildings could have housed asylum seekers.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Great post. Just on the final bullet point, there's a very good reason why some counties are underpopulated. No well paying jobs in those areas and so young people have to leave for Dublin, Galway, Limerick, or Cork or wherever. Just dumping vulnerable asylum seekers and refugees into these towns isn't going to magically reverse their fortunes. You hear all the time the good news stories about the arrival of Ukrainian refugees helping to save some rural school threatened with closure. But these schools are being saved totally at the tax payer's expense in the form of the welfare payments and accommodation provided to the Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Which numbers are staggering exactly? Who are these other countries who are getting stricter?

The Rwanda plan is complete bullshit. A con job where everybody knows it’s a con. There is not enough time to implement it before the next election and will be scrapped by Labour as soon as they get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

It's not really saving them is it. It's putting them on artificial life support.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Also said we should alert to County Councils to the amounts accepted so we can factor them into the housing plan.

Your kids will just have to join the back of the queue when they bring their families or head to Oz or Dubai to try scrape a deposit together.

Denmark and Sweden have definitely changed the mood music around asylum claims and are now seeing significantly lower asylum claims per capita than Ireland. That's a complete reversal of previous trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

People with certain agendas being presented as impartial is a significant obstacle to having a proper national discussion on immigration.

It's not that Catherine Day/Fintan O'Toole etc shouldn't be listened to, but they do have their agenda, no more than people holding signs in Roscrea.

Most people can acknowledge that too much immigration is a problem, you can argue about when that point would be reached, but sensible people know that, and know there are genuine issues at the moment.

When people argue that the country is underpopulated or the real problem is dereliction etc, then it should be acknowledged that they're not being entirely genuine.

It's a huge shame this has become a left-right issue, that there isn't more measured discussion.

Yes and if the government hadn't of made such a mess of this and totally disregarded the Irish citizens the buildings would probably still standing today. Total mismanagement and disregard for the people of Ireland is the reason so in my opinion the blame lyes totally at the feet of this government.

Probably why they are not interested in pursuing convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Can someone explain to me how 6 reception centre's with capacity for 3,000 in total is supposed to solve the accomodation problem of 15,000 arrivals per year, as claimed by roderic o Gorman.

At that rate of arrivals the reception centres will accommodate about 10 weeks worth. What happens in week 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

If the likes of Roderic O'Gorman would have their way they will force every family in Ireland to house them. Like, do you have a spare room? Not anymore you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Cant even back up your own statement.

🤣🤣🤣

Now you want me to postulate solutions for a not at all defined problem so you can criticize when it does not deal your specific issues.

🤣🤣🤡

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We have record homelessness and I seen someone quote here that over 600 men are sleeping on the streets.

We seen what happened in Roscrea when trying to accomadate a few hundred.

We are being told to expect 15,000 on average a year, if we say 5 years that's 75,000 people and more than the numbers we can provide in that time period for houses.

I find those numbers staggering considering the availability of accomadation.

What number would you find staggering?

Totally madness to turn our capital city into a third world refugee camp.

God help anyone who relies on tourism and not to mention the shops in our city.

Totally pathetic what the government is doing.

We move up to around 10th in Europe for asylum seekers per capita for couple of years. In a European context that’s hardly staggering. It coincided with a very.large influx of Ukraine refugees. Hence the accommodation problem. O’Gorman’s 15;000 figure isn’t set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

It doesn't get any simpler. There is no plan.

That's what I find amusing about this constant bleating of "misinformation" and " disinformation". What does anyone need to know beyond the fact that there is a mass arrival of people with not a foggiest notion of what to do about it?

What are the government going to "better communicate"?

The reality is that they don't have anything to communicate!

Another bit of logic is that if they are going to build x amount of detention centres and then have to call it quits once they're full....why not just call it quits now and save the waste of time and money and effort?

The whole thing is a sickening joke.

Yes, she certainly has a clear path laid out. If this woman really has any power, we should all be very concerned.

At this stage, we need to be coming up with a joint plan with the Brits as to how to handle this together. It would be in all our interests - Republic of Irl, NI, England, Scotland & Wales to have a collective position. If that involves Rwanda or anywhere else, so be it.

And if the EU don't like it, well we demur and advise that we're looking after our own national interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

The Rwanda plan is a joke. Do you know how many asylum seekers the agreement is for?

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't care about where we rank in Europe, I talked about how things are here currently which you are deflecting from.

I will go on what O Gorman gave as a figure, giving this government's dishonesty that's probably on the Conservative side and it will be a bigger number.

What is you number for what you would class as staggering for ireland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement