Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink - future routes for next Metrolink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I'm just spitballing.

I definitely think it's a good idea to develop the entire SW industrial area to medium density housing. This requires a Metro.

After that I'm not sure.

I'd like to convert Poolbeg Peninsula from industry to high rise offices and apartments but it might not be possible.

Lots of Dublin doesn't have the density to necessitate a Metro.

So when people say things like "the Rathfarnham/Terenure area has nothing, they should have a metro", that has no merit. It's all houses with lots of elderly people.

We'd have to dig into the data of west Dublin but I bet the majority of people are commuting to the city center and then some are transfering to UCD,DCU, Docklands, DIT etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭spillit67

But DART SW is not even launched, there is no evidence it is over capacity.

The Red Line will be alleviated by the Lucan Luas. My preference is to get on with a heavy rail crossing for the South of the city so the existing space can be utilised properly and we can take more cars off the road across the city.

The City Edge is a good idea, but it does not need the Metro yet to get the majority of the benefits.

It does though when there is little scope for densification.

Metrolink is clear and obvious given the potential throughout the north inner city, the airport connectivity, connecting the huge Swords area and the development potential of north county Dublin.

Unless the lands near the foothills of the mountains are developed, I can’t see how it will ever change. There are some religious lands still, but this is a part of Dublin that is built on with high occupancy rates. It was just planned badly decades ago.

Much of the rest of Dublin is like this, including the South East of Dublin. I’m from an area where if you looked at the map you’d say it’s covered by the Green Line and DART. In reality it isn’t though, it’s 20/25 mins walk to both. When the Green Line was built, they deliberately avoided some of these areas as the development potential wasn’t there (old Harcourt alignment via Foxrock golf course). The area will always have to settle for buses and that’s fine, particularly as Bus Connects improves with orbital routes.

The Terenure and its surroundings area of Dublin is a lovely place to live but it is what it is. There’s no UCD. There’s no N11 like corridor of apartments. There’s no Sandyford. There’s no Cherrywood. There’s no Dún Laoghaire. Heck, there’s no Blackrock which itself has a lot of employment.

What there is is suburban houses, some nice schools, some nice sports clubs and lots of golf courses. And Marley Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The point being these areas have both dart and luas and QBC!

Dublin SW has no PT bar busses so badly needs a metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

"Really well served"? Really? So it has a turn up and go service then? Seven days a week? Last time I checked the timetable a minute ago it didn't. Just because it isn't a Fridays Only pensioner bus service between Bumbleduck and Ballygobackwards doesn't equate to being "Really well served"

• Advertisement

How?

Tunnel?

Extremely costly.

There’s parts of the south east with neither too you know.

The best hope is the Knocklyon Luas, and I am interested to see how that works.

I’d also like to see the Clondalkin Luas end at UCD whilst connecting to Knocklyon Luas.

My overall preference is for an inner orbital along the canal. This will benefit the whole south west of the city. Feed buses (and ultimately the Luas) there. Means people can alight at the Canal and easily get to somewhere like Charlemount, GCD or the Docklands.

Yes tunnel.

We have loads of money that needs to be invested in infrastructure, as we are years behind other European cities.

Dublin SE is one of the best served region for PT in the country.

From brides Glenn luas stop to bus stop 3143 on the N11 QBC is 800m, from there to shankhill dart station it’s 1.1KM.

Compare that to Dublin SW 😂

How would the busses in the SW get to this inner orbital route, as there are no QBCs in the SW region which has one of the slowest if not the slowest journey times due to chronic traffic.

The Knocklyon Luas.

It will have to be above ground.

No chance it merits a CBA for a Metro. Mediocre densities and nowhere to go.

I am from the south east. Where I am is just as bad for traffic. Where is my Luas?

Why will it HAVE to be above ground?

The metro line can go from Tallaght which is a major population hub and journey generator to the NE of dublin via the CC and via major population densities such as I have already mentioned.

There is no room for it to go above ground as much as there’s no room for QBCs to be built in the SW.

Where in the SE are you- roughly.

I grew up “near” Stillorgan.

Mapped:

Luas (Sandyford): 40 mins

Stillorgan QBC: 25 mins

DART: 23 minutes

If you look at a map you’ll clearly see large tracts not covered by either. I am quite content that Bus Connects is the best we’ll get. The concept of park and ride does not work in these suburbs as there is just so much local traffic.

A tunnel under Terenure et al is a white elephant. It in no way justifies the expense;

Third level institutions

Sports stadiums

Sea

Areas of mass employment

Brownfield sites

Development sites

Low occupancy areas that can be redeveloped

Tallaght and the Red Line can be more than supplemented by both the Knocklyon Luas (above ground) and Lucan Luas. The Lucan Luas will immediately alleviate the Red Line issues. My personal preference would not to have the Luas Lucan but the DART Tunnel plus a spur to Lucan. But anyway.

Regardless, even if it was a Metro or Luas in the SW, you will still have people like in the SE who aren’t actually near these heavier modes of traffic and the orbital routes won’t feed them (I think they’re more useful for people trying to get to a UCD, Tallaght, Dundrum etc for work/college). Thats why we need to focus them where we get the best bang for our buck.

A route that curls around to Tallaght seems very unlikely, unless it is Knocklyon (which would kill most of the brown field logic of a Metro SW around Ballymount/Tallaght).

A look at Dublin development shows the situation is getting little better around those parts. This is natural, the area is a high demand nice bit of suburbia with little space left and the usual NIMBYism on show in Ireland. I am sure they would reverse with a Luas or Metro, it always does. But this compares very badly with areas with a lot of brown field and green field sites. If someone starts talking about getting rid of some of those golf courses, then we can start to talk.

• Advertisement

I’ll debate your post point by point:

If you look at a map you’ll clearly see large tracts not covered by either. I am quite content that Bus Connects is the best we’ll get.

At least you will get QBCs in this area- the QBCs for the SW (Templeogue/terenure in particular) will take ages to get built due to nimbyism. There will be delays and JRs on this route.

The concept of park and ride does not work in these suburbs as there is just so much local traffic.

P+R will work if it’s located in the correct location with easy access off main arterial routes and has frequent RELIABLE and quick PT heading out of the P+R.

A tunnel under Terenure et al is a white elephant. It in no way justifies the expense;

Third level institutions

Sports stadiums

Sea

Areas of mass employment 

Brownfield sites

Development sites

Low occupancy areas that can be redeveloped

I don’t get what ya mean here? Tallaght has all of the above that you have strikes through bar the sea?

The tunnel under terenure is there because there is no road space for a metro above ground.

Tallaght and the Red Line can be more than supplemented by both the Knocklyon Luas (above ground) and Lucan Luas. The Lucan Luas will immediately alleviate the Red Line issues. My personal preference would not to have the Luas Lucan but the DART Tunnel plus a spur to Lucan. But anyway.

What is this Knocklyon LUAS route and where does it go? How long would it take to get to the cc? Where does it service? How would a Lucan LUAS alleviate the overcrowding on the red line? It wouldn’t increase its frequency or speed.

People coming from tallaght and safari are still going to get the red line LUAS.

I’m not gonna quote the rest because I think I’ve made my point, but if you lay out this knocklyon LUAS route to me that would be helpful.

There is limited QBCs where I am from. It takes upwards of 50-60 mins on the bus as it does from the likes of Rathfarnham.

Sorry but Park and Ride simply does not work in busy suburbs. It is an outmoded concept regardless, but I highlighted it because it is a standard response.

The point on Tallaght was that the route to get there is via Knocklyon. This mostly makes redundant the idea that it will enable development around Ballymount. The Knocklyon line is crayoned drawn by the NTA in the 2042 plans if you look them up.

Any route that serves Ballymount will mean that large swatches of the SW will get no line either.

Using Tallaght as the backbone for a SW Metro that would help Rathfarnham, Terenure etc is a non runner unless it goes via Knocklyon.

Post edited by spillit67 on

The Dart is only at the very northern edge of the "city edge" project so it doesn't matter so much. But along its southern side, 1000s of apartments can be built. The LDA have plans for the CIE land in Inchicore also.

The Red Luas is definitely close to capacity so a Metro to Tallaght would free up loads of capacity.

I think to do the "City edge" project properly, it needs a Metro or Luas through Ballymount.

Again, Red Line capacity will be alleviated via Luas Lucan.

City Edge does not require the Metro. There will be some parts of Ballymount if developed that would, but 150k people is not contingent on it.

Luas Lucan night never happen.

But even if it did, is it enough to alleviate capacity to an extent that 10,000s of people could live alongside the Red Luas?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not sure all these Luas’s being mentioned have realistic routes. Easily done with crayons but suspect that they will mostly be extremely difficult to route.

Ifs and buts here does not justify an expensive Metro line.

They’re NTA crayon drawings. I suspect there’s a bit more to them than what most of us do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There is a route in the post 2042 part of the strategy.

I suspect the numerous Luas lines are just political.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Consonata

The main capacity constraint on the Red line is the core? Adding yet another western spur to the Red line will only make it even more congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

The route would likely spur to Lucan from Blackhorse and to College Green from James' or Fatima. The spur from James' is far more likely as a lot has changed since the original plans were drawn up. College Green has been closed to private traffic and soon to close to all traffic, so that corridor from James' would easily accommodate tram lines.

The section between Blackhorse and James' is also fully segregated from other traffic so can handle extra trams. The extra city centre capacity would have to be a prerequisite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭gjim

Why is there so much talk of building tramlines in the suburbs outside the M50 when the city centre is filled with double decker buses? We need more tram capacity in the centre (and metros and heavy rail). Most of these outer suburbs, including the orbital, can be served very well with buses with minimal extra infrastructure.

Trams for the suburbs and buses for the centre... it's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

The James' to College Green section would add enormous tram capacity in the city centre??!

Eh no, there’s extra capacity in the city centre. Gives an option for people on the Red Line to keep south of the River too.

That is what is in the NTA’s current plans.

I do not expect that to be the final case, as we all know the limitations of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Don't want rerail the main Metrolink thread so going to contuine this here.

https://x.com/rtenews/status/1750207654901821447?s=20

This was posted over there, and some of the posts got me thinking, is there merit in using this land bank, not instead of but in addition to Metrolink.

With the constraints the Howth spur is going to put on future Northern line frequency, is it worth considering separating the Howth spur from Dart. And run a tunnel from Bayside to Clongriffen and then contuine the line west linking with airport and also further to link with Blanchardstown, Metro West etc.

Whether this is Metro or Dart I don't know, but maybe food for thought.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could certainly continue Metro West as far as Clongriffin to interchange with heavy rail there. I doubt they would tunnel, it would greatly increase the cost.

The All Island Rail Review proposes a heavy rail spur from Clongriffin to the Airport, but you also need to double track Clongriffin to Connolly to make it useful, which would be a big job and expensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Interestingly for the Charlemont to Sandyford upgrade, I see Sydney Australia is going to close Sydenham to Bankstown for up to 12 months so it can be converted to driverless and integrated into the Metro Northwest line.

It’s a very similar situation to Dublin. Except the Sydenham-Bankstown isn’t light rail, it’s old heavy rail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Advertisement