Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

This could very well be contributing to the issue as, when all is said and done about improved recycling rates and knock on environmental benefits, its the financial hit from losing out on the deposit that will eventually bring people to the table. Same issue with the plastic bag levy. People didnt stop using and littering with plastic bags as a result of new found environmental concerns.

Return and the Govt can sit back and let the scheme bed in gradually in the knowledge that the dutiful citizens will eventually cop on and enable them to reap the EU plaudits for implementing a successful scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I doubt they'll get much plaudits from the EU, most EU countries have a similar scheme implemented, we're mostly playing catch-up with the EU

Like the smoking ban, nobody gave Spain a pat on the back for being one of the last to implement it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Spanish smokers may have applauded the delay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

I didn't hear the Irish population whinging at the Govt to introduce the RVMs. Only reason this is being done now is to get the craved after pat on the back IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

Aldi where I live is complete madness at the weekends. Will there be massive time spent queuing up for the 1 machine in the middle of the car park. How long before its full and needs emptying?

Why should I be forced to spend time recycling like this for a voucher? I already recycle with the blue bin. Maybe I'll just feck it all over the hedge to fvck. That should even out the price rises for this.

You can go into Derry with a trailer load of rubbish and large recyclables and do a lap of the facility there depositing everything in different bays for free. Not Paddy. Everything a double dip con job in this kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Waste is paid for by property tax in NI, which is significantly higher than here.

You can 'thank' 1970s FF and also the PDs love of pointless competition in natural monopolies for it being a paid for private thing down here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yes i'm glad you mentioned that. Alot of nonprofits and not4profits actually profit in different ways like perks or putting the money earned back into growing themself or whatever cause they are created for. Alot of the money that goes to charity is paying for the marketing and online advertisements etc instead of the actual cause. some even used to pay for lunch or a salery. while volunteers are left doing the footwork for work experiance to put on their CV. its really scummy and low (the misuse of funds part i mean)

is there any true charities or not for profit organizations that actually give 100% (or close to that) of their donations towards the actual causes they claim to be for?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

NI will have a DRS in 2026 (they are still saying 25 but they wont make that)

Given that this non profit is being run by the likes of Tesco and Diageo, their ability to be too wasteful will be pretty constrained. If the costs go up, so do the producer fees.

while in theory thats true, i still see plastic bags on the streets and in parks and places, just not as many but still enough to be noticed.

its unfair though that the already dutiful citizens, the ones who recycle at home are basically being taxed with deposit loss now if they choose to continue recycling at home. So while the deposits may be incentivising new people to consider actually recycling (due to hitting their pockets) they're also hitting a bunch of people that already recycle. There really needs to be something in place so that people who recycle at home don't get stung as much from this. it would be funny and great if bin companies arranged a scheme with re-turn where people who recycle at home get atleast half of their deposit money given back to them. Seems a bit more fair if something like this got implemented.

Price increase based punishments don't always work. There's a couple of examples i care not to mention including sugar tax and dog litter fines, but dogpoo is still around. Even in bags left behind.

Fines in general are like "ah thats fine aslong as you have the money to pay for it you can do it and get away with it, aslong as you can afford it" and doesnt actually stop the behavior. Even prison system (perfect punishment based example) people get a fine and slap on the wrist and back out doing stuff again. We really need to stop with the fines lark and price punishment schemes. They don't work and the people who intend on breaking them don't care. Even green tax, another money making scam!

All this stuff summed up as "you can continue doing this aslong as you pay us, aslong as we make money from you doing it, its all good".

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

agreed, but tell me which bush. i'd like to come there and pick up those recyclables lol.

and yeah it pretty much is a con, the whole scheme. infact its worser than the trial machines that gave us some reward for our work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If it stops the crowd going to the beach and leaving a mess of cans and bottles down there , they might now bring them to get their deposit back . Another thing i see is the amount of bottles and cans in the hedges or they have money to burn.

i think as country has to be first at doing something to get that pat on the back.

Sugar tax probably worked. I say probably because there were other factors, but demand for and supply of sugary drinks have both shifted since 2017 fairly significantly.

I think you raised MUP before as another dud and I definitely doubt that that worked in any meaningful way. But the reason was the gap was bigger, drink v abstinence, with sugar tax it was substituting like for like.

With DRS its money back or give money away or stop consuming. Some may do the latter but not too many

yes thats true, but if the cans are damaged and not in an accetable state to get the deposit back, they might be more inclined to just leave them cans there on the beach

Rates dont fund waste/recycling only.

We pay for waste/recycling here also.

I shouldn't have said "for free". Let me rephrase. In NI you have the choice not to be charged up front then queue like a gulpin at a machine to get your money back as a voucher. You can choose how you recycle without getting charged for it twice if you want to use your recycling wheelie bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I'm not a fan of this new scheme but fsking your rubbish over a wall is not really a great idea, especially if it contains plastic and cans you have already paid the deposit on.

My local council have a free facility that will take all sorts of rubbish for free (electronics, batteries, paint, anything I cannot put in one of my bins). You should move to Derry if you think your own country is a kip.

people who drank sugary drinks for the most part still continued to do so regardless of the price increase, while others found/made use of exploiting the loophole of diet sodas and zero sugar/sugar free alternatives. In the end companies started making changes to the drinks they sell by having lesser quality no sugar versions of them to get around this tax. No one changed their lifestyle as a result of this tax, and those that continued to drink sugary versions just only paid extra. So essentially the tax was something (a problem) that got profited from.

Things like "Green Tax" do the same, gives companies permission to keep polluting the earth as long as the government get their cut of the money.

You will, fairly soon, as the UK is introducing an identical system.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is only plastic bottles, likely the bottles you are seeing are glass - so won't make a difference.

Doubtful if a majority of those drinking like that will be that bothered to be bringing cans or plastic bottles back, and back to where. Their parents gaff?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭satguy

Our bin collectors make money from our empty beer cans,, But if there are no beer cans in our bin,, will they put or Bin Collection Fees up ???

And Who TF has time to bring an empty Ballygowan bottle back. 

Fair enough. Link for that? I would like to compare how identical they are / will be.

Do you agree with this scheme and how it will operate?

The RVM wherever they got them from. You're talking about people who are usually skint and at least one of the group is going to want the few quid towards their next naggin.

It hasn't got a scheme website yet, but these are all copy/paste. Probably the only difference will be what the deposit is.

These systems work, so yes.

The same opposition from bin companies etc exists in the UK too - nothing is unique in this!

A group of teenagers, some of whom probably underage, out drinking in the park or beach. They're going to lug them back from the beach, or park or whatever... to an RVM that is who knows how many kms from where they are? Or stash them where? Nope.

Yes, because there'll all skint and at least one of them will want the cash.

Can you remember being a teenager?

They are in LUCK! i am willing to cut them a deal! i realize some of them might not want to be seen returning beer cans to the RVM's as they are under age or shy of being caught. So i'm willing to return the cans for them for a portion of the deposit.

i'm not sure if i should pay them a bit for some of the cans in advance, or if its a case of "get the deposits then come back to them and give them their share of it" .

i might be able to work that problem into the idea. Have something set up where lets if deposits are 25c, i could give them 15 cent after all is said and done by coming back to them. Or i could give them 10cent upfront without the need to come back to them, in return for faster service an extra 5 cent seems okay, what do you think? your opinion matters to me and i would like to know what your feedback on this is as i would not like to see beaches being littered if i can help it. but not for free obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

The breadth of my knowledge of Irish media is listening to Today FM in the office. Without Boards I wouldn’t have a clue. I’m sure there are plenty in the same boat.

Can you remember being a drunk teenager?

Teenagers these days arent skint like we were. Plus after a few cans there'll not be bothered about trekking back to an RVM which could be kms from their drinking spot.

And bringing them home will make it very obvious they'd been drinking and how much. Cans dripping... have to be kept pristine to get deposit back...

nope. They will be thinking fook that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Not as many because every gust of wind nowadays is given a name and shrieking loopers are given airtime about them.

Here’s a picture that highlights the absolute madness of the weather now VS only 7 years ago. Collecting cans isn’t gonna get the loopers back into the asylum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement