Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i'd put that down to mismanagement of hospitals, they have a massive budget and should be doing better.

either way, irish people are living longer, healthier lives, in the modern ireland of unvetted masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

Oh yes the low skilled migrants caused the Celtic tiger of course. What could we possibly have achieved without the masses of Nigerians Congolese and Algerians.

who said that? what i was saying is that with all these multinationals and economic growth, low skilled workers are required from abroad. you don't agree with that? they didn't cause the tiger but with continued economic growth and investment from abroad, opportunities are way better for natives now and it's hard to fill low skilled jobs with irish people, that's pretty obvious no?

pretty sure it was germans who turned their country into an economic powerhouse after the war, but they then for some reason needed gastarbeiters from turkey etc. to fill roles. irish builders, auf wiedersehen pet, and the likes. it's part and parcel with economic growth i'm afraid.

do you think now that we can export beef to china again we might need more foreign unskilled workers in meat plants etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

Well it's some mighty long list of coincidences that as the population grows at unprecedented rate there just so happens to be a shortfall in everything.

Everything just so happens to be more badly run than before?

But the unprecedented population increase from abroad is neither here nor there?

And the juiciest notion of all, that despite all the mass migration over years, things have somehow ended up worse? Come again? I thought it was supposed the be the opposite, no?

Therefore mass migration isn't to blame for infrastructural shortfall, yet at the same time its provable that mass migration hasn't improved anything? What's the point of this mass migration again?

And besides all that, the greatest indicator of all due to its non stochastic nature, is that housing is practically a myth in terms of both availability and affordability. No management there, no staff issues there, no policies there. People live in houses, too many people, not enough houses. Black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

I want to parse this question because it really gets to the heart of this shambles.

We can all agree that there are mounting, very serious problems in the country, the likes of housing and healthcare, the usuals.

So, if mass migration isn't the cause of these problems as some would attempt to paint....then it can equally be said that mass migration isn't helping any of it at all as the metrics spiral down.

So what's the point of mass migration?

The only two logical outcomes are

1 mass migration is the cause

Or

2 mass migration is useless

So why are the government hellbent on something that's either useless at best, or disastrous at worst?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Don't all the Ukrainians have medical cards? So basically this will be a nice little earner for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I shouldn't have to remind you but obviously I do, that c 100,000 of these will be going back to Ukraine when the war is over. That's the basis of why they are welcome here, temporarily.

Of your remaining 40,000 asylum, deportations could be issued for 35,000 on the spot at least.

We have 800 I believe whose cases were turned down in 2023. And it's up to you I believe to be doing your job and seeing the back of them. So please go at it, less time here and more action on the ground.

No we’ve enough people here who can do it. Plenty of low skilled Irish people. We need to make sure they’re working and not sat on the dole either through cutting welfare or making firms pay the right wages.

im sure the people in rural towns would rather not have an abattoir which floods their towns with migrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Around 90% of immigrants every year are 'legal' and are here to work and pay taxes - clearly they are contributing to economic growth and bring many positives (if they weren't, there wouldn't be much point to the whole immigration thing).

Quite correct. Many employers here love these migrants who they can exploit with low wages and bad conditions. Meanwhile your young Irish worker looking to get a start on the ladder or a student looking for summer work, is competing against this. The Labour Party should be absolutely ashamed of their stance - workers rights my arse.

if you still advocate mass immigration after all the negative effects culturally , economically and to infrastructure then you sir are truly clueless. do you really think all Irish suddenly became it experts and engineers on the last 30 years ?

you also did say mass migration fueled the Celtic tiger. Not sure how a load of Roma working in a meat plant in millingar contributed to anyways.

nope, i said the celtic tiger fueled migration, not the other way around

The left are now the useful idiots for the corporate elite. Whenever government and corporations start blabbing on about diversity they mean cheap labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How would you say the working class in England are doing after 14 years of a right wing government, backed by a right wing media?

Funny how counties like Singapore didn’t end up flooded with a load unskilled migrants or at worst dole birds after their economic boom. The two don’t go hand in hand despite what the likes of McWilliams will parrot on about.

do you not see that ?

and even if we did need lots of cheap labour from abroad maybe it shouldn’t be from countries that hate our way of life or who have lied to get into the country. What could do wrong?

Not a right wing government a globalist government. There’s nothing nationalist about them.

they’re no different to FFFG, juts a bit less virtue signalling. But they’re all in on the cheap labour , sorry I meant to say mass migration.

ever been in singapore? you think it's locals cleaning your hotel room or washing dishes in restaurants?

"Singapore's constant construction boosts the economy, and relies on a large foreign labor force. As of June 2017, Singapore had about 296,700 migrant workers in the construction industry, from countries like Bangladesh, India, Myanmar and China..."

they're getting paid peanuts and being exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

100% agree. I am all for immigration that adds value to society, economy and the environment.

Walk through Tooting south London anyday, not one English person to be seen, and not one word of English to be heard. It feels like you are walking in Bangladesh, Somalia or Afghanastan. Women in full Burkas, load of kids in toe, men in long muslim garbs. And I dont have any issue with what people wear, or their language, but talk to any social welfare staff or local housing authorities, and they will tell you that nearly all of these are on benefits and housed by the council. They dont want to integrate. As soon as the girls get their period, poor feckers are made to wear scarfs and bukas. And St Georges Hospital in Tooting crying out for cleaners, porters and healthcare assistants, and the Eastern Europeans who they mainly depended on for these jobs have left .. even the Jamican and Nigerian health staff have left the area ... go figure !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think the key thing that most people have learned or are learning is that simplistic pursuit of of GDP growth leads to problems. When you have full employment, pursuit of GDP growth through low-skilled mass immigration causes shortages in housing, medical care, education and so forth.

An area where people get confused (and you can see it on this thread) is that just because an employer wants cheap labour driving wages down, or a landlord wants more competition for his properties, thereby driving rents up, does not mean that mass immigration is correct for society.

Guarantee they’re not importing the clowns we are. Probably Filipinos.

lol you're clueless and moving the goalposts now

countries like Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, 100s of 1000s of them who can barely eat.

picked a bad example for your bullsh*t.

Agreed, but there are no political movements to stop economic growth no matter the consequences. There wont be any time soon, so you may as well roll with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rowantree18

With regards to circa 100,000 Ukrainians "going home post war":

Your average Irish person couldn't have located it on a map prior to the war and has very little knowledge of the history or geography of the country.

The average salary is 398 e per month - and in poorer regions of Ukraine it's a lot less.

Outside of the relatively sophisticated cities of Kiev and Odessa - it's pretty much a post communist nightmare recovering from collectivisation of farms and intense political corruption at federal, local and regional levels. Some rural places in the Urals and Carpathians as well as the vast Steppe are 100 years behind, I'm talking horse and cart. Public service provision is rude and unbending - "nyet" means nyet.

People are educated however (good side of USSR) and in Ireland will have a chance to "skip" the 100 years or so it will take to get Ukraine as a fully functioning democracy. They can go from being educated but poor and without opportunity to having potential good salaries with opportunities. They can deal with a public service and school service which by their standards bends over to help and actually has to listen to complaints and hold someone accountable in the main.

They're not going anywhere. We now have a Ukrainian Community and that's it. And if after the war they bring over husbands etc - which the will, it'll be a quarter of a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

You should ask suvigirl there Straz, she wasn't here only half an hour ago going on about how London is currently one of the greatest places on the planet

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

I have been to Singapore a number of times. The unskilled workers (cleaners, porters, waiters, construction labourers, landscaping..) are brought in by employers through a work visa system, and there is a strict age limit, so Singapore dont get landed with medical care for eldery non residents.

Zero illegal immigration, practically no refugees or AS.

When I go there, my visitor on arrival visa requires a valid passport, details of my accomidation, exit date, etc.

I commend them on how they control their borders..

my bullshit ? The country is creaking at the seams. Can you not get it into your head that even if you bring over one cleaner she brings the whole family over , and who picks up the tab ? but that’s ok because the Google offices get a cheap wage slave.

have you not noticed in the last few years a lot of shop and security Staff at chain stores are suddenly non Irish. Many through agencies. Why do you think that is ??

and to go back to your little post on Singapore I bet those migrant workers aren’t jumping the queue on council housing and getting the dole when they jack the job in.

invest in our own. Hold the companies to account on this and pay the right wages. Cut our dole to get our local wasters back into work. Don’t juts junk straight to bringing in low skill migrants and then giving them full access to welfare.

you said "Funny how counties like Singapore didn’t end up flooded with a load unskilled migrants", they did though.

cut our dole, jesus christ you sound like donald trump now. we are practically in full employment, the very few dole lifers you people are obsessed with are generally just too thick and lazy to hold down any kind of a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

This is it really. Who is the economy at the end of the day for? Policymakers have forgotten who it is all for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement