Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Course it’s a big if, he’s never won it before and hasn’t won a major in 10 years, it’s a chunky if.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I be shocked if he never wins a Masters in his career only a matter of time IMO.

id agree if his major wins were spread out , but this has been a proper barren spell. I’ve said before I think he will win 1 or 2 more when he’s outside the top 30/40 when he doesn’t expect it. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he won no more, the standard is so high and it’s probably only going to get better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Massive if, after a decade the stats can't lie

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Even just getting the Masters would make him a great. Very few golfers have won all 4 majors.

Edit: Just seeing Dav010 already made this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rory definitely isn't an all-time great yet. To this point he's an underachiever with the talent he has.

He could win another four majors in a very short period of time, he's regularly in contention. What is it, four top 5s, a 6th, 7th and 8tb in his last eight majors?

If he wins the Masters it put him in a select group, if he adds another three he equals Bobby Jones, Sammy Snead, Gene Sarazen and Harry Vardon who are all recognised as greats of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

People probably don't agree with me here - but his putting is still very hit and miss to win the masters (IMO) - and a new factor I see in him now is , he has gone a bit wild off the tee (not wild as we know it ) - but he has a few drives at key moments that go way off line, this is not s problem to win millions of money - but it can be a problem in majors at key moments.

Just a feel - his game off tee has changed a bit - still amazing , but he used to be more accurate imo.

Probably got something to do with them having to change drivers every year to their sponsors latest model

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Maybe.. but just before he chased distance he was unreal ...but after he changed and equipment..and look he is older now.

He throws a bad shot in there that is bad news in the mix at squeaky bum.time.

Or as I said a very bad putt ..almost 3 inches left of hole ..

I'd love to see him win master ..but can he if above two issues come into play..

Slamming ball miles down a course with little or no rough is a different game they do week in week out..

I'd love to see him get a caddie who'll challenge him on his club choice.

He often takes driver on a hole where fairways get tighter if you hit it a long way and maybe three wood or even less would be a better option.

I don't think I've ever heard Harry Diamond suggest a different club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I wonder if the caddy argument is over rated, not to take anything away from what you are saying. Different golfers I’m sure put different stock on what they are advised to do. Ultimately it’s the golfer who will make the decision on what club they use. There is also the consideration on what merit must be given to having a close friend travelling with you on what must be a lonely excursion so I wouldn’t think a change of caddy would make a huge difference. It’s the six inches between his ears that counts, he has the talent, whether he takes out the big dog or a fairway wood is on him.

Was Diamond not a brilliant golfer as well as his pals? Like they knew each other from junior golf? Feel like people go on as if he has never hit a golf ball. I think it’s over cooked as well.

He won the West, I’m not sure if he is a brilliant golfer. I suspect it depends on the golfer, no doubt some rely on their caddy for advice, others just want them to carry their bag. Ultimately the golfer has to decide which is more important. What I would say that letting your friend go if it isn’t working might be more challenging. But there is a reason why golfers names are are trophys and not caddies.

Who can you tell me from the top five golfers in the world doesn't have discussions about club selection with the caddie?

There's only one I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

With respect, you’ve absolutely no idea what they discuss. They’re not miked up so we only hear a very occasional exchange.

This is such a lazy narrative on McIlroy, people talking rubbish that can never be proved either way about his caddie.

I don’t get why Harry Diamond isn’t considered a “proper caddy”. Do you think he doesn’t give him correct yardages or something?

Diamond is obviously someone McIlroy is happy to be around, he’s a top level amateur golfer himself and I’ve no reason to think he doesn’t carry out all the caddying basics (I presume if he was giving Rory wrong yardages or a dirty club or something that Rory wouldn’t employ him).

So why isn’t he a proper caddy? Is there a degree or some other qualification he doesn’t have?

Maybe there is a ranking amongst top level caddies, just saying. some might be more talented than others at giving advice. It’s whether the golfer needs it, or wants it that matters. Only one of them swings the club though so it’s up to him where the ball lands.

Yea he seems to be put in the same brack as the feckin Wags who don’t play golf carrying the bag.

The major assumption here is that the 3wood (or less) would be more accurate. With Rory this is not the case. He lost the Dunhill links a few years back by switching from Driver (where he was creaming it) to more conservative clubs off the tee for the finishing holes, I can’t remember what year it was

I agree, I think the caddie comes into play on the mental side, any pro knows what club to hit a certain distance taking weather into account

Yeah for me the caddie would be great on the mental side. Thats what I would want for sure. At that level as a Pro you would just want yardage and wind direction etc and a good counsellor 😂

• Advertisement

A lazy narrative? Where did I say anything about yardage or dirty clubs?

I'm only talking about challenging him on club selection. Simply asking him if he thinks he should go with a driver off the tee or a three wood off the deck.

I seen Harry Diamond winning the West of Ireland and I seen Rory winning it twice. One of my regular casual playing partners is a former top amateur, he won the West and the South and lots more, who could have made it as a pro but tried q-school once, went boozing and decided he'd go the business route instead and he's been very successful. Some people suggest Harry could have made it as a pro, and maybe he could have, but he was in his mid to late twenties when he became a top amateur and he was inconsistent.

One of my other regular partners is a three handicapper who has excelled in the world of golf as a course developer for one of the biggest design companies.

He caddied for the former top amateur. My friend and schoolmate has often discussed and regaled their relationship both in front of him and when he's not with us. He's told us stories of times where he felt he might get a slap in the face if he didn't take the advice of his caddy. He said the caddy was nearly always right and credits him with crucial calls that won him the South.

They knew each other as kids, three years in age between them but they were never close friends.

I'm not criticising the decision because they are close friends, I'm unhappy about it because he doesn't seem strong enough to have a go at him over club selection.

Rory takes driver off the tee when there's no need for it, when there's danger if he does. He goes for greens on par fives when there's water and hazards in play and you can't control how the ball will bounce. He needs someone strong enough to challenge those decisions.

Rory might ignore it but when it costs him a few times and maybe a tournament he'll start taking heed of that advice but it's never given. I'm sure, no I'm confident, that Harry knows this stuff but he's too nice to have a go at Rory.

I've followed them at tournaments, have you?

If not then it's you with the 'lazy narrative'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There's no caddy going to start dictating to Rory about what club to hit and if there is one he's not going to be around for long. How many tournament wins has Harry been on the bag for now? He's been very successful.

Rory is a very aggressive player, goes for nearly everything, it doesn't always come off but it's what makes him the player he is and why he's the most exciting player to watch.

Like he didn't need to go for the green in 2 on 18 on Sunday, he didn't need Harry to point out the obvious either but he still went for it and it worked out. He was asked going up the green did he not think to lay up and Rorys response was I'm just not that type of player. That's it in a nutshell.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He doesn't have to dictate, he just has to ask the question when there's risk and no need.

If he keeps asking the questions there'll eventually start to be conversations about these things. When it comes to majors those conversations become very important.

Also, just having the conversation where the caddy agrees gives the player just a little more confidence and he resets before hitting the shot and probably hits a better shot.

As mentioned above it's important that the caddie is there for the mental side of things.

None when comes to the currency the top golfers trade in, majors. JP was there for all four I think. Maybe Mcillroy was a better player 10 years ago and it just coincided with JP on the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GolfPar

In other news...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

I’m sorry but this is just absolute nonsense.

Do you think Rory is going to tolerate some guy telling him he’s hitting the wrong club and putting doubt into his mind? He absolutely is not, if Harry started doing this he wouldn’t last to the end of the round.

Your story about the guy winning the championships and his relationship with his caddy is totally irrelevant. He’s not Rory McIlroy, they’ve different personalities. He might have been more open to listening to a caddy.

Also your story about following them is more pony. You followed them for a few holes but maybe on those holes there was no major decision to be made so there was no need for much discussion? Maybe there’s never much discussion, who knows?

My point being your criticism is of Rory being too aggressive (which is debatable) but it should not be directed at Diamond. His job is to support Rory not to be putting doubt in Rory’s mind at every opportunity which is what some people here would have him do.

To be honest I think Rory’s failure to win majors the last few years is more down to just not holing enough putts at crucial times (Open v Cam Smith and last years US Open v Clark) or just poor execution at crucial moments (wedge shot into bunker on par 5 at last years US Open). I don’t think in general at least they have been strategy issues. To my mind at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

MOD SNIP Take sporting comparisons elsewhere please

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Post edited by slave1 on

Post edited by slave1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

The relevance is simple.

I’ve no doubt that the time involved in becoming the best e.g. curler in the world is substantial, and the skill and technique they gain is substantial. There’s also an entry problem for that sport in that you have to have access to ice. Ladies boxing doesn’t have that issue but it does have its own substantial entry problem in that most people don’t like getting punched in the face, and will actively avoid it, even if they could be good at it.

So as it’s a minority sport, the pathway to becoming the best is a lot clearer, and consequently the bar is much lower than in sports like soccer, athletics, tennis and golf.

That Katie can sell out Croke Park is neither here nor there. Rory’s appearance in a field adds thousands of ticket sales in every country across the world. When he in contention for a tournament, global viewing figures for that tournament rocket. That’s because he’s a mega star who transcends a global sport.

Katie is many things, but she ain’t that.

Advertisement