Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

organic farming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Iv'e seen conventional farmers at organic sales. If most of the stock remained within the organic system, there would no be a shortage. But the same is true of the Angus and Hereford schemes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is two main problems for any finisher even grass based. Access to stock is the biggest. There is virtually no options. If you could take conventional cal es at sub 4-6 weeks and evennifbit was two years before they were fully organic I could operate that. I think in Germany they allow something like that.

The second issue is housing. Most lads finishing have mostly slatted accommodation. It's not allowed. Straw bedded is getting too expensive.

As well if finishing you would probably want to be growing some of your own grain. So a decent size land base required.

Ya but a badly run conventional farm will be a badly run organic farm. Most lads that struggle with conventional will probably really struggle with the paperwork side of organics.

In a way you are indicating that a certain amount of organic are struggling to make conventional beef prices. So it indicates the producers are not getting an organic premium.

You might not have a problem a cess organic stock in 3-5 years time. A lot of suclker farmers transferring over may cause a glut in the organics market.

If an organic farmer is not getting a premium over conventional he is worse off than being conventional.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/news/news/net-loss-of-173-ha-through-use-of-supersoil-fertiliser-teagasc-802064https://www.farmersjournal.ie/news/news/net-loss-of-173-ha-through-use-of-supersoil-fertiliser-teagasc-802064

That came up on my feed, I thought that was supposed to be great stuff by the adds I have seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

"If an organic farmer is not getting a premium over conventional he is worse off than being conventional."

You can't make a broad statement like that without backing it up with any actual fact. Even though my original point wasn't even about premium at all. It was access to both markets, and how conventional stock can be farmed organically.

Honestly I'm getting a bit tired of the same couple of posters here who obviously have no intention of ever converting that keep harping on about the same reasons why it's not for them. As has been said many times here, this scheme isn't for everyone, it has to suit ones system and there's no such thing as easy money, it's takes effort and you need a genuine interest and attention to detail to succeed in organics.

There's nothing wrong with genuine questions and discussions but knocking the scheme constantly is getting so tiring at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is the proposed straw shortage next winter going to be a big problem for organic winter housing? Something like 25,000ha less tillage this year, and incentives too for chopping the straw should result in much less straw around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Yes and the certifying bodies adament must be used. Why mats not ok for cows or store cattle beyond me. Just a quick point very little no premioum for organic cattle either in mart or factory. Watched last organic sale in Drumshanbo harmless and 350KG DX bullocks at 30 months old selling for €350 shows the cod that alot of the articles in the papers are about niche markets for native breeds, organic meat etc. Think point rasied earlier given higher costs of production and reduced thrive ie organic cattle can only be dosed once per year or lose organic status unless breeding stock. Organic cattle a dead loss financially without subisidy. Go to a sale with fluke ridden cattle from bad land that got no meal and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Few points.

Went in the Organic Scheme here in 2023.Nearly all sheep up to that and likely just sheep and small bit of tillage in the future.

No issue with dosing,vaccinations etc as I put all that into my health plan.I dosed my lambs as per usual as I would have being doing FEC tests all along anyways.Once the result shows a need to dose then its OK. Withdrawal is doubled but most worm doses are 7 to 10 days so unlikely to be selling a lamb within 3 weeks of doing them either ways so not a problem.Only thing not allowed is OP dip.Fluke dose ewes on vet recommendation.

I have no intention of even looking at organic selling.Lambs will be going to factory when fit and if organic lamb is being paid for then thats a bonus.

Sheep suit in that I only buy in stock rams and no requirement for these to be organic.I haven't seen any higher costs here anyways.

Issues are not allowed purchase non organic stock without derogation.Would have sometimes bought a bundle of ewes on the spur of the moment but thats out for now.Also no grazing off farm except on another organic holding so thats a bit of a pain but surmountable.Straw not an issue around here and allowed conventional straw as long as its for bedding not feeding.

Antibiotic use is allowed but double withdrawal as per dosing and think twice in a year loses that animals organic statues.Again not a problem as antibiotic usage in sheep is light and the end status isnt really an issue for me.

I think people are making problems where they dont exist at times.I would be the least "organic" type farmer you could meet to be fair.Keep a decent number of ewes ,enough to farm them full time to make a living.I am looking at this as a better paying Environmental 5 year scheme as its worth 17k plus a year to me whilst Acres would be less than 4k net.

Land here is fairly decent with all bar 1 field index 3 or 4.That plus availability of slurry covers fert .Then again sheep don't require big fert rate regardless.

One problem I see with Organic Scheme is that its being promoted,popular etc on more marginal land which is all fine and dandy if you have big area and small stock.The amount of dung produced on farm especially with sheep is unlikely to be enough.Plus sowing crops for grazing or feeding as grain is difficult enough in these areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

I agree. Square peg will not fit into round hole.

- No premium on organic livestock.

- Less inputs.

- Possibly ~8k subsidy pa for organic.

- Other benefits which are not financial.

Up to each one and their circumstances after that.

Waste of time arguing points with folks who will never fit.

"Never wrestle a pig, you'll only get dirty"

I see Tom Stapleton, Sobac are going toe to toe with Supersoil. Advertorial also on Agriland. The team there must be getting very confused writing for both. Sobac seems to be mainly targeted at reducing artificial inputs for conventional farmers. There are a number of ways in reducing esp inorganic N. This seems to be one. Farmers should investigate all tools available.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭manjou

I use rushes to bed cattle they don't seem to mind just cut and save when weather is hot from rushy bottoms and spread dung back on these if you worried about spreading seeds on good land. The other thing is when i sell the cattle I get on just as well as before so when I sell cattle are the price is conventional price + organic sub..

• Advertisement

A man after my own heart. Maybe it's my age, but we f****d up something that worked 40 years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Probably being very naive (it's all theory for me at the moment!), but I'm half aiming to do something like that with a dairy cow and beef bull that have been bred from and for these islands.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yep - this scheme and the one targeting stubbles make zero sense on any level, least of all environmentally. I think the issues with organic here that some raise is mainly related to the very slow start to the sector here compared to most of the the rest of the EU, which means the organic supplies sector is also underdeveloped. This however should ease as more farmers join scheme and output of organic feed, stock etc. increases in the coming years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Organic cattle are a good trade if you have what's wanted. There was handy bits of HEx bullocks the same day 350-400kg making circa €1400. There's plenty of summer grazer buyers out from now on for those ligher stock and there's always custom for the more forward cattle once they tick the boxes.

Dexter beef is in demand if you can get it it as far as a burger van or a farm shop. However bar you have the means of going all the way from farm to fork then Dexter cattle were never worth a horrid pile until the Acres scheme came along and then only if they were PB reg ect. The cattle you've talking about weren't registered and that didn't help there value.

There was a bundle of similar ones in it a few years prior and a man with a cowboy hat and a Donegal accent bent my ear talking about a Dexter production group, the merits of Dexter cattle, how they were the next big thing and how much they were worth as beef ect. When they went through the ring they were sold for the sum total of sweet FA. I enquired of him afterwards as to how he didn't buy them if the whole thing was as lucrative as he claimed (I'm long enough on the road now and have listened to sufficient BS to know the difference but wanted to put the pressure on). They weren't registered and the job wasn't up and running yet and 101 other excuses was the reply. I'm not anti Dexters but unless you have a definite route to market then stick to more mainstream breeds.

Organic's farming suits 2 main coherts of farmers imo. You've the passionate grassland management types who are all about soil, bugs, biodiversity and generally embracing the farming model that worked for 1000s of years in this country before chemical fertiliser, imported feedstuff and the mentality that all you're farming solutions involved beating nature into submission. These sort of lad's are joy to observe imo and showcase farming as an art.

Then you've the other and mostly likely larger crowd of lad's who farm organically because there now getting paid to do or more precisely not do what they weren't doing all along. They wouldn't dream of buying fertiliser, meal, dosing/antibiotics or anything else that involved spending more than the bare minimum. There stock were organic long before the conversion period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

That sale prices still up on Mart Bids, bad as the DX bullocks were see the DX hefers were worse, 300kg for €210 and €250. Also see 3 stabiliser cross bullock weanlings 265, €810, 285, €750, also CHX 370kg 10 months €1050 or €2.84 anyway lads can see themselves. most cattle seemed to be around €3 a kilo and they would make that in any ordinary mart. Think those HE bullocks were haeavier a 19 month old 535 kg made €1700 and a 475 kg made €1510, and a 465 at 22 months made €1440 or €3.10. Only HEX in the sale. Heavy AA 610 off HE made 1880 or 3.08 a kilo good price.

You can farm bare minimum in Organic but and I have done it myself you will end up impoverishing your land or your cattle or both. I am using rock phosphate, potash lime, FYM, importing slurry etc to keep land up and feeding plenty of meal to cattle and dosing them as scheme allows. My big change is going out of sucklers in March as producing weanlings too expensive. If I stayed in sucklers would be at the €1300 a weanling game and out of organics.

Anyway worth a shot for anyone as only 5 year commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Afraid I fall between both stools.Not terribly interested in the science or theory behind organics and have spend countless euro over the years on fert. ,meal to finish lambs .Not one field here has been missed as regards either ditch removal,reseeding ,draining or rock removal over the years.

My take on it is that the sort of money on offer is too good to miss out one .My one doubt is that the payment rate and sweeteners might be better if the uptake is poor in a year or two.

My job is not to feed the world,rather feed my family.

The Dexters in those situations are a dead loss but it's never been any different. There not the sort of stock for showing live, you need to be able to go from farm to fork to reap the benefits. I thought the STx were right rags of lad's, badly done and ready to thrive. He'd be farther on using an AA bull though and registering them as AAx, Stabiliser aren't the job for selling live either from what I've seen of them.

From looking at the catalogue the bullocks I quoted seem to have been registered as LMx (looked to be out of HEx cows as reddish with white faces) and they were mostly sub 400kg. The bullocks at €1880 were fair cattle but they've it all ahead of them as regards getting money too imo.

There's a lot of places atleast about here where the stock and land are impoverished regardless of whether or not there farming organically. The same lad's were as well being paid to do the bare minimum as not.

What's the next step after exiting suckling? I assume you're continuing at organics. If I was to go into organics it would be running drystock and that brings its own challenges. The whole summer grazing system is oversubscribed in organics but it circumnavigates the housing issues for a lot of lad's and makes for the easiest option.

That was a bit of a sweeping generalisation and as with most things the truth is usually somewhere in between. I can understand you're rational and the money in the bank is hard to argue with at the end of the day.

I'd fall more so into the latter of my own categories despite my wishes to lean towards the former. I'm not in organics although it's definitely something that should be considered. I'm just monumentally pissed off with the whole job in recent year's and I'm increasingly of the opinion that pushing beyond the bare minimum is a waste of time, energy and money. Maximising the monetary return and spending the bare minimum on actual farming in the process is becoming the name of the game imo atleast on marginal ground.

I would have bought the DX bullocks before the Stabilisers or the CHX. I have gone to a euro a kg in them.anyway.

You could kill them at 480kgs LW. I know they would be a light carcasse weight but they would make 1k+ at the end of the year

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Packrat

If they were ped reg you could get more than 1k for them at a lot less weight. Dx bullocks usually stand about 380 to 420 live at 30 months and there's a premium for them in Nenagh.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Drystock and farm the system! Cut back a bit on cattle but try keep the land in order as I think if that goes takes years to get it back; I have alot of marginal land so prob waste of time what I am at, wet weather pasr decade kills land like mine Will still use meal as on my land cattle need it that or do a reseed and as my land mixed; I see even the good land got rushes, so without spraying, reseeding waste of time.

To get 20k a year oo guts of it I need 7 2 year old cattle I should stick €1500 into Dexters and relax. Real issue is as much out of not farming as farming. My margins were abut €200 a weanling, if that waste of time.

Also have a new Landcruiser ordered to help with the tax bill with cows going; first new anything ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You must either have a lot of cows going or else be getting fantastic money for them. Well wear with the new LC. I reduced numbers a lot last year and it made life a lot simpler.

I’m into the soil life thing a good bit, even to the extent of not wanting to plough land. There’s good money in cereals but I can’t figure out how to grow them organically without the plough.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Nenagh would suit, have a few SH as well this year and a few DNX bullocks I know nenagh is doing a premium for SH is there any premium for DNX

From 300 kgs would it take long to get to 400 kgs.

Slava Ukrainii

27, had been up to 60 cows. Already have some gone. Neighbour non organic taking 10 and rest a lad I sell to organic taking only calving April/May. Feeling he will keep the weanlings and sell on. I should do the same but just want a clean break. Sort of fed up with it all.

Most mine over 800kg few 950kg. Funny lad chatted to wanted me to get into organics oats but think he was a bluffer he would leave you out of pocket and a topic of conversation down the pub.

Deal not fully made must up my prices!!

Them sort of cows are worth more empty than incalf atm, €3 a kilo is achievable for good firm fleshed continental cows. The cow in the link above is supposedly gone for breeding purposes, I'd assume flushing. The whole cow job about that town is a sort of an anomaly atm, 1 man buying the majority of them for however long that lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Would there be a hefty tax bill?

Thought if you sell animals then the valuation of your (closing stock minus opening stock) balances out extra income from sales...

Not ourchasing much this year so definite bill otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

I could see peat or a similar material to be allowed to be used for bedding in the future if the straw situation is as bad as some are making it out to be.

Advertisement