Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The remains of Ian Bailey have been cremated in a private ceremony in Cork, with no one bar crematorium and funeral director staff in attendance.

His solicitor, Frank Buttimer, confirmed the news on Tuesday evening on behalf of Mr Bailey’s UK-based sister.

Given his previously well-documented health difficulties, including two heart attacks last September, no autopsy was conducted and the cause of death was recorded as natural causes.

Mr Bailey’s body was retained in Bantry General Hospital until arrangements were made for its collection by a funeral director from outside West Cork for transport to The Island Crematorium in Ringaskiddy, near Cork City on Tuesday morning.

It is understood that his family wanted a low-key service away from the media spotlight.

In a statement issued this evening, Mr Buttimer said he was authorised on behalf of Mr Bailey's next of kin to confirm that Mr Bailey’s remains were cremated at a private event earlier today.

He said that no further statement would be made in relation to this matter.

There was no notification of Mr Bailey’s death on the RIP.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Ya she doesn't know

He'd never divulge that he had killed a woman that nite

She could react anyway or spill the information later

There's no upside to making her complicit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So what about this blog? it refutes some of what you’re saying at least - I’ve no idea where the truth lies btw, I’m just curious as to what you think. It’s just another online poster just like you

“We know the coat was never in fact burned because the police bagged it with lots of other clothing as evidence on 10th February 1997 while other police officers interviewed Bailey at the police station. Nobody has ever seen any of those items again. Think what evidence there might have been on those clothes. Although, of course, it might be that there was no evidence on them at all. The only logical thing for the police to do, if they couldn't tie any of Bailey's clothes to the murder, was to lose them. Funny, because that is exactly what happened. And not much more than that is documented fact.”

https://www.crimeguy.com/p/the-magic-disappearing-coat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

He drove home from the pub according to Thomas.

Statements of fact about what? I'm simply quoting the differing alibis. Not my statements of facts, Bailey/Thomas's statements.

You're all over the place. It honestly feels like you're on one big wind up.

• Advertisement

Another blog from crime guy - map analysis - only posting this for those interested -it gives accounts of distance and terrains of the various houses in question

https://www.crimeguy.com/p/sophie-toscan-du-plantier-map-analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

I would suggest that if he was heading over there thinking about sex with the classy French lady, he wouldn`t have been wearing the manky black coat. At the end of the day, what evidence is there that he was wearing his black coat that night....Marie Farrell. I would seriously question if she was out at all that night.

There's a lot going with the scratches

A stick and trees and turkeys

Seems like too much all at the same time

Apparently he didn't mention the turkeys when first questioned . He mentioned them days later to Senan Maloney according to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yea fierce unlucky to be getting hit with trees , sticks and turkeys all on different occasions within a short time period. Clumsy aul bugger was Bailey.

Its got nothing to do with hazy recollections and Oddessy knows that.

Its about alibis being changed when one or both persons think they've been caught out.

Did Thomas reflect on her alibi and then change it? No she changed it when it was put to her that Bailey was spotted near SDPs house that night. Suddenly she admitted her original alibi was a pile of sh*te and made up. She also gave more telling detail about Bailey having a premonition of something bad happening. Now I know someone like Oddessy will say wasn't the man a great clairvoyant, but most other people don't believe that. The guy had a plan brewing in his head. Bailey changed his alibi when he heard Thomas changed hers. How conviement. And he changed how he got the cut in the head according to her.

The man was a convicted partner-beater and compulsive liar. He wasn't the saint some have sought to portray him as. There was more than enough there to make him a suspect, especially around the changing of alibis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I'd find it very difficult to believe that Thomas didn't know that Bailey was the murderer. I honestly believe he told her the day after the murder that he did it.

Nobody is going to remember going to the bins etc. You would remember going into work or having to do something related to work though. Quite easily.

No idea why putting out the bins is likened to getting up and working from 2-8 or whatever the hours are. Laughable really.

Ya I mean the new detail about the stick well new to me anyhow.

First he explains that a scratch (head ?)was caused by a stick to Jools

Then I believe he told the gardai he was scratched climbing trees(hands?)

Then I believe he only mentioned turkeys (hands?)later when talking to Senan Maloney

So he's getting scratched in a few different ways all around the same time

He Maloney claims that Bailey didn't mention turkeys when first interviewed but mentioned it days later for the first time when talking to Maloney and he knew he was lying , seems a little speculative on maloneys part

Make of below what you will;

"He said he had told the guards when under arrest that he had a sidebar selling Christmas trees, and got them from lopping them down. I can still see his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish when I protested: “Who the hell buys a Christmas tree on the 23rd of December? They’ve already got them up.”

Turkeys came into it days later – belt and braces, because he never said turkeys to me that night, but had instead told trees to the gardaí. Henceforth he had been nicked by an upside-down bird… but I knew then he was lying."

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Zola1000

I think this case and this murder is one of the most chilling and together with some of my compelling reading I have seen in my years. I'm new to boards here and just wanted message on this. There is lot of very important reading here and insightful points all have raised. Firstly I'm not going to diminish the readings by saying anything on deceased whether he is guilty or not I can't prove it. Certainly I wish I could but overall we may not get the answer. It's massively disappointing for the family mainly in just seeking what their daughter deserves justice.

The case overall I really can't fathom at times. It swings so much in favour of police to get evidence they need and then not so much swings again. Time is against this now. I always felt some people held too many important cards...and didn't play there hands. Like the first journalist Eddie Cassidy breaking the story he said he got from reliable source but would not reveal source to guards.

Or even marie Farrell's passenger could have dispelled the myth of man they identified at kilfadda bridge. But she was allowed keep him secret from identify. So much evidence lost, tampering with evidence , influenced witnesses..and Mr bailey following the story and bringing it along as if he was there..he could have been there that night, it doesn't matter about his past or his future..but to reference something strange is happening is going on tonight sure rests very uneasy in documentary and reading that back over years. There is so many ifs and buts and we done this and that..I hope the saying "the truth will always come out" can finally be solely given to the injustice in this case. May all rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Nobody here has said Bailey was a saint. We all know it's possible he could have done it. The intelligent people here also know there is alot of evidence to suggest the gardai tried their best to pin it on the ignorant English oddball that noone liked and invented so called evidence and roped in witnesses to support this - which stinks being honest.

I think it could be argued that a couple out drinking for a night will give varying accounts of what happened that night. That still doesn't mean Bailey was a murderer - it just means he doesn't have an alibi for every minute of that night. It also doesn't mean Jules is lying - she admitted she was a sound sleeper especially after drink. She can't say for certain what Bailey done that night - that still doesn't mean he committed a murder though.

Nobody knows what he was wearing that night as there were no witnesses.

Likely under his influence. He had beaten her several times before, so she could hardly not go along with any requests he made.

Had the time Sophie was killed been established likely we wouldn’t be here now on this thread- if late the night before Bailey had an alibi- if around 7am likely too late for Bailey to have got back home and composed himself -that greatly limits Baileys window of opportunity -it’s certainly not 8 hours as some numpties here are suggesting in their aggressive and condescending tones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

One of the first of many many lies Ian Bailey told journalist Senan Molony:

"Then I asked: “What about the scratches, Ian?”

He said he had told the guards when under arrest that he had a sidebar selling Christmas trees, and got them from lopping them down. I can still see his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish when I protested: “Who the hell buys a Christmas tree on the 23rd of December? They’ve already got them up.”

Turkeys came into it days later – belt and braces, because he never said turkeys to me that night, but had instead told trees to the gardaí. Henceforth he had been nicked by an upside-down bird… but I knew then he was lying."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think it was an intruder. He had access to a key.

The pathologist report states the first weapon used to attack Sophie was a stick or poker with a sharp end. Josie Hellen reported a poker missing from the house. This supports intruder theory.

The slate and cinder block were used to finish her off, the initial weapon was a poker.

Sophie left the house in her pyjamas and boots put on quickly without socks. You wouldn't put on boots to answer the door, so that implies she put them on to go outside quickly.

do you know anything whatsoever about the guy? Just he has access to a key!? Bit of a dodgy thing to be posting…

Says you - I’m just showing what Jules said illustrating the point that even so called facts as you have posted,can’t be taken as definitive

You know this is a very poorly thought out post right ?

it is a fact he had beaten her several times before.

I would remove names from your theory orangehyme. Bailey was a known suspect so safe to discuss him.

By herself she appears to have been able to talk freely. You'd imagine she was in fear of Bailey, and possibly only able to overcome that fear when he was older and no longer a physical threat and she then asked him to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

No Tom it's not. Your knowledge and understanding of the entire investigation is very lacking.

You are just saying the same thing over and over again. You fail to give any consideration or discuss other theories which shows you to be quite ignorant. Do some proper research and then maybe I will take you seriously. For the moment you appear ill informed on the entire case.

It's possible you are right and Bailey was the killer but it's also possible He was innocent and his life ruined by an incompetent Garda investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Unlucky? Fu.kinhell, if he's that clumsy,he must be the luckiest murderer ever.

Advertisement