Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I only really swiped bumble this time. Always something new though when off these things for a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

i actually think i swiped left on that one as well Def nope, she thinks she is perfect, no wonder she is single. she going to be single a long time with that type of angry attitude

I think demands and negativity put off the guys she’s trying to be with - they will likely prefer a classy lady. Silly woman.

Ya everyone has their issues,but thats just more of a rant there. The min you see that u go nope too much trouble.She be nearly looking down on people & judging people from the start. be lots of arguments in that relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Thankfully there is another excuse for people making bad decisions.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/date-psychology-alexander/id1334821500?i=1000615632116.

Because I met and married someone I met online I find the psychology of how it works really interesting, he is a scientist and it's fairly evidence-based using data and not woo-woo so I like that as well.

One of the little vignettes I found interesting is that online dating and constantly being on our phones in public spaces has led women to be a bit suspicious of men they don't know approaching them, so there is less natural interaction / small talk.

A friend of mine met her future husband at the queue for registration on the first day of college, my husband says that wouldn't happen today they all have their heads in their phones and would jump a mile if someone they didn't know talked to them in public.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Hardly rocket science to be fair. We all know tech is ruining people's social skills. The next few generations are gonna be so mind fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

There's probably no point in time that the older generation didn't worry about the state of the world's youth and how doomed they were. They'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Tech isn't a bad thing, 1-year-olds looking at devices are going to grow up knowing nothing else, it is the transitional phase we appear to be in at the moment that some people are struggling with.

Apparently that guy she's seeing left his wife for her not long after having a child. Also read she made multiple (Eleven) versions of the song to get it to number 1 but what does she care? She's made her money anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

As most people are arseholes.

My best decision of 2023.

It'll probably benefit those you might otherwise have spoken to; sounds like everyone's a winner. I hope it works out for you 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I have a date lined up with the bountiful bosom lady. We're hiring a couple of pogo sticks to bounce around the park.

I assume you’re not actually doing that lol.

But ready and waiting for the post date update ☺️

Im supposed to have a second date tonight, but given his cancelly/late ways we shall see..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I will never stop saying hello to people even if I get the reaction Mick Dundee did when he went to New York. Can't let the bastards grind you down!

I’m one of those people who of course says hello back if somebody says it to me, but I don’t offer hello to strangers otherwise. Different if it’s in the workplace or let’s say a housing estate I lived in or whatever - but not when there’s no connection. Well maybe if our for a walk somewhere very remote and there’s f all people passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I approach a lot of people for a few reasons as I said a couple weeks back. To this day any negative or weird or hostile or aggressive reactions have been minimal to nonexistent. So I am not personally experiencing any of the things I occasionally read about out there.

But I am not approaching with romantic or sexual intent. So I guess I am not comparing like with like entirely. Though of course none of the people I approach know that!

Had a fun one recently where I saw two girls pocket their ID cards after being IDed at the door. So I "bumped" into them as I passed them and apologized of course. A bit of time after that I approached them with my mates and asked their names. Then I playfully said that they did not look like their names. They actually looked more like each others names so I did not believe them. Eventually I said "Right show me some ID".

Priceless faces when they took out the ID and they had each others and I pretended this proved I was right all the time :)

But in general I really do like approaching people and it gets easier with practice. Certainly will not be letting the bastards grind me down either @Ubbquittious I wonder how much the Croc Dundee reference dates us. You for using it and me for getting it instantly :)

What was the point to that exchange? If not flirting with them 🤔

It was old when I saw it first so I wouldn't worry.

Can we blame Reddit for the perception that negative & hostile reactions are rife? I used to be like you for years and I would go to random places by myself & chat to randomers without any bother. Then Covid came along, some stuff happened and my perception changed and I find it hard to go back to the way it was.

I reckon though Reddit is the root cause of the problem. The bile spewed out there becomes the inspiration for TikTok videos and lazy journalists posting on supposedly reputable sites. If someone were to unplug the reddit servers with a wry smile you'll likely see changes in people's attitude within a couple of weeks.

Lovely second date tonight.

• Advertisement

That’s what we like to hear. It may only be four words but they’re LOADED with promise ☺️

We all live in the same world, with the same people, yet have vastly different outlooks driven by our experiences.

Upbringing particularly. My mother is the eternal optimist. Pollyanna, Glad Game level stuff. It’s positively enraging at times, but it’s undoubtedly rubbed off on me on subconscious level. I just find it easier to go through life being positive and suffering the inevitable disappointments. Hopefully I don’t induce too much rage in the people around me 😆 - sure don’t we all turn into our mothers in the end ?

I know someone who is sickeningly positive about absolutely everything. Even if it went arseways they would dump an other load of positivity on it, like someone emptying a 25kg bag of sugar onto an apple tart that tasted a bit sour. Subsequently they took to the bottle big time. So while it is a strategy I don't think it's the best one or even a viable one

I value being a realist over excessive positivity or negativity. So be generally positive, but not to a degree that it’s harmful or ridiculous. I feel life is easier when you have hope, but not expectation

Thanks ☺️☺️☺️ I’m digging for reasons as to why he light he too good to be true, I haven’t given up yet but I’m thoroughly enjoying whatever it is and will for however long.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Just to practice my hobbies. In this case pick pocketing and sleight of hand. And just generally talking to new people. I just like people. I have no interest in flirting given the already complicated enough relationship I am in :) Certainly have no desire to add to that!

But I also tend to do it as a "wingman" thing. Guys I happen to be around tend to like it when I end up causing other groups, especially girls, to end up talking with us. Like the "mind reading" phone number thing I described before.

I think Covid did the opposite to me. Once it was "over" I went back to cold approaching people quite hard. I guess it helps that (as I just said above) a lot of my hobbies almost force me to do it.

Fear of rejection I simply can not get into the head space of. It's just something I have never had. Whether that means I have a particularly strong ego - or some kind of broken ego or psychopathy or autism that I do not work like other people I do not know.

But my brain is more transactional maybe. I approach someone. They have no interest. So I am back exactly where I was before I approached them. What exactly have I suffered, lost, or should be afraid of?

I know it must be a thing given how many people seem to suffer from it. But it will likely be a thing I can only observe from the outside and never understand.

I really know very little about Reddit. I find it's interface unusable for my brain with it's weird way of indenting and so have simply never used it. I just can not get my head around it. Or at least I never tried because I was so put off. Give me an hour I'd probably get it. But I have never been compelled to try. Or 4 or 8 or 12 or 16chan. Or whatever iteration the "chans" are on these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Must… resist….

If you go looking for something that's not there you'll find it.

• Advertisement

Oh god I don’t think I’m that bad lol. I know what you mean though. Toxic positivity.

I like to think most people are generally just decent average folks. Good bits and bad in each of us.

If you expect the best in a person, at one stage or another they’re going to prove you right.

If you expect the worst in a person, at one stage or another they’re going to prove you right.

Advertisement