Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭amandstu

I get the feeling that Trump knows he has lost the plot and so he keeps on speaking until he can find a train of thought that is coherent.

Is that why he keeps interrupting himself? To give himself time to land on a new ,hopefully vaguely connected idea.

I ,myself would have no interest in public speaking and would struggle even if f I was on top of my subject.

What could possess a person to put himself through that torture?

He seems desperate.

I noticed in that clip that those bad moments seem to be accompanied by the sniffing.Is that the drugs wearing off,maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,401 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The question is...

Are trump and his team idiots, out are they trying to wind up the judge?

Suppose it could be both

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Same will never give them a cent and also watch for all mankind, I highly suggest Severance too

He has nothing left but revenge.

I wonder, theoretically, if he was offered the presidency, but it came with conditions that

1) he couldn't go after his enemies and

2) he couldn't use it to make money

3) he had to actually work

Would he take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Protect our borders!"

"President Trump, Biden is nearing a deal to help protect our borders"

"Stop Biden from protecting our borders so I can protect our borders laters!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He's barring other donaters from donating to his campaign?? Like fcuk he is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And also ignoring the small point that Trump had Four Years to fix the borders - controlling all 3 branches of government to ensure no resistance - yet nothing came of it; worse, it turned into a total boondoggle & actual swindle what with Steve Bannon's little grift.

I know the GOP are terrified of MAGA, but you'd love to know what the GOP's response to this has been. Cos what's more important: fluffing Trump's ego and avoiding the MAGA stare, or getting a win on a noted GOP issue - one that MAGA or not, will play well with die-hard red voters?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's all just so stupid.

By kicking this guy out for sharing the photo of Habba they make sure the Judge is going to ask the question now , because they've have shown that they have something to hide.

Given that Habba had told the judge that she had tested negative for covid earlier in the day on Monday , the correct (and defensible) response would have been to say "I tested myself again on Monday evening and Tuesday morning and again in the afternoon and everything was good".

The photo will be the first thing that Carrolls lawyers will bring up this morning.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He will never ever refuse money , but it's an attempt to scare them away from her now to cripple her campaign against him.

Because remember , those donations are not free - These guys want something in return for their investment.

So , he's trying to say to them "If you give money to her , I won't take money off you in the future in return for whatever tax cuts or deregulation you are looking for"

I don't think it will work , because they all know how utterly venal and amoral he is so they can be pretty confident that they could still buy whatever they need off him because his only interest is money.

He likes revenge and petty pay-back too , but money will ALWAYS come first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

How to advertise that Stormy was 100% right about his, ahem, anatomy. The man despises women.

I don't think it really works regardless.

The "Never Trump" types wouldn't be giving him money anyway and the others aren't likely to be all that intimidated by the threats because they know the ultimate truth is that Donald Trump can ALWAYS be bought, so any threats from him today about refusing to accept money from people in the future rings incredibly hollow.

What it does show however is that Trump is very concerned about Haley staying in the race - Not because he thinks she'll beat him in the Primary , but because she's going to cost him money he can't spare and damage him with moderates and independents. A cohort he cannot afford to lose any more from if he is to have a snowballs chance in the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Probably wins again. The man has the most resilient support I've ever seen. Criminal cases, caught out saying numerous things that would sink anyone else. It's a testement to how terrible Biden is as president that Trump amazingly still has a good shot at winning. Americans really have been left with two complete disasters to pick from. A fraud and con artist or a mentally incapable weakling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,348 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would prefer if the Dems had a younger candidate and more social democrat, but what you write about Biden, is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,436 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It doesn't matter one little bit what Biden did or didn't do, certain types were always going to stand here today saying that he is a terrible president.

If Lincoln or Washington were president today and had just solved world peace, certain types would be saying that they were a terrible president.

"You cannot reason somebody out of a position they didn't reason themselves into."

No it isn't. Seriously you cannot watch Biden for 10 minutes and honestly say that's a man with the mental capacity to be president.

Yes , the remaining Koch Brother is one of the key Haley donors and he doesn't currently like Trump.

So he would currently fall into the "Never-Trump" category for now , however don't for a second think that he won't put his financial interests above any personal issues he might have.

If Trump is the nominee and Koch needs a GOP led legislature to ensure that he gets some law passed/over-turned that benefits him financially he will be perfectly willing to hold his nose and buy that outcome by giving money to Trump either directly or indirectly via dark money PACs working for Trump.

And Trump won't refuse the money either because just like Koch and all the other pseudo-oligarchs in the US his has no moral compass only the desire for power and money.

Except he clearly hasn't been good. Foreign policy has been a disaster as has his policies on immigration. He doesn't have terrible approval.ratings for no reason. If the democrats had a half decent candidate Trump wouldn't be in with half the chance he will be in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,436 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He clearly has been perfectly fine as a president, any objective observer can see that. But thats the problem, the observer has to be objective.

If the democrats had a "half decent candidate" you would be standing here today telling us that the "half decent candidate" "clearly hasn't been good."

Clinton/Obama/Biden, did you ever wonder why the current democrat is always the devil according to Republicans? Have a think about it for a while, see if you can figure it out.

• Advertisement

"....his policies on immigration"

"you cannot watch Biden for 10 minutes and honestly say that's a man with the mental capacity to be president"

Is he running the show or is he not? You are saying two different things in two consecutive posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't imagine many US Presidents have been voted in our out based on foreign policy; if you know of any I'd be curious to know. While the reports suggest Trump is begging senators to block Biden's border bill because he doesn't want to give Biden the win. Supposedly manufacturing stats are in the pink and AFAIK the economy's doing OK at the moment? As to the approval ratings, well all sitting Presidents struggle to maintain popularity; I think only Bush II immediately post-911 ever managed significant numbers in the modern age? Open to correction there. And as has been said before, Clinton lead the polls throughout 2016. Yeah.

Biden isn't the perfect candidate - but he doesn't have to be when the other guy's a howling antagonistic malcontent, one who already had 4 years in the job and achieved nothing ... and is now talking up his strategy of revenge & a sprinkle of dictatorship? Even if you buy into the "cognitive decline" angle, then sauce for the goose there 'cos you may find Americans would prefer a bog standard centrist corporate democrat losing his mind than Donald Trump doing the same in real time.

Conversely if the GOP had the nerve to ignore the MAGA cult and give the nod to a stable centrist, Biden himself wouldn't stand a chance. Biden v. Haley would be a walk-in for the latter.

Also , "His policies on Immigration" - which are almost identical to the policies of the previous administration (absent the unnecessary cruelty), but the GOP never said a word about the border when they controlled all three branches , but the second the Democrats have any control over anything they start screaming about the "INVASION!!!!!!!"

This is a chart showing "Apprehensions and Expulsions" by year for the last ~30 years

So - Biden has "Apprehended and Expelled" significantly more people at the border than Trump ever did , yet apparently it's a "disaster"

The GOP use this increase in "interactions" to suggest that the "Brown Hoard" are invading the country, stealing jobs and raping women.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭Christy42

He has had a similar border policy to previous administrations.

He has effectively crippled one of the US's main rivals with no loss of American life.

Yes whatever democrat is up is always the worst candidate and they would vote for any other candidate and we haven't heard this 100 times already.

However the Republicans are getting better at theatre. Keying in on the word invasion for a group of unarmed people was a stroke of genius, sure any reasonable person would immediately realise they are being lied to as soon as the word invasion got brought up for immigration but it seems to have worked and gotten into people's heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,395 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I watched him for longer than that when he was here in Ireland, across multiple events - and I can honestly say I saw nothing to make me think he had any such issues. That was less than 12 months ago.

I watched him give a speech from the White House lawn last summer, again more than 10 minutes, he was grand.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Russia were never a rival though. They were more a pain in the side. Either way, it's damned impressive that Biden has done so much damage to them with nothing more than hand-me-downs.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Haley might also have the advantage of being untried with the job. People know what a Trump presidency is like, and now a Biden presidency, so if they're not into either option then Haley might be worth giving a chance in some voters eyes.

However, regardless of what a Haley / Biden competition would look like on it's own merits, I can't help but imagine what a Haley victory in the GOP primaries would unleash within the GOP itself and among Trump's cultists. Let's assume for the sake of disscussion that we have a situation where enough moderate GOP voters are sick enough with Trump to give their vote to Haley and thus the nomination. What would happen next?

We know Trump doesn't just conceed defeat or do any of the normal stuff people are supposed to do when they lose a vote. I wonder if he'll do the same as he did for the 2020 vote, drag his heels, bring court cases against the RNC, or even pull a Jan.6 onto the registration of delegates at the end of this? Send a load of MAGA sicofants to try to derail the process? And *then what?* If Trump's gambit fails, the GOP vote is still likely split to the point that they can't hope to beat the Dems. If he succeeded in getting the GOP nomination by clearly facist means, then it would surely be clear to even the most policitally ignorant moderate voter that Trump cannot be the person they vote for.

I wonder if this is a "damned if they do, and damned if they don't" situation, where a good showing by Biden may beat a Trump campaign, where-as any Haley campaign will likely be torpedoed by copious amounts of MAGA/Trump stupidity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement