Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

She's also talked to them about the situation at Westwood. No ideal solution there that I can see, even with making better use of the secondary car park.

Another issue is the bus lane inbound before the Alfie Byrne road, there's a huge queue of cars in it turning down AB road. I'd expect it to lessen when the works are complete, as a lot of people will choose to continue straight, but it's still crazy to me that they choose this road layout, it practically guarantees this queue of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I see them there regularly. It wasn't illegal to rally motorbikes around public parks in the past, but I think that's changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Gas man. Road layout encourages bad driver behaviour. I think the technology at fault here is the proverbial nut behind the wheel. A bit of enforcement would sort it out.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

Could a bus lane camera be installed so that those who choose to illegally use it get a fine and penalty points? Seems like a prime candidate for such a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Been there, asked for that. This is Ireland. Zero accountability. For bad people to succeed requires good people to do nothing. 🙄

Bus Lane cameras? Sure that would just punish hard pressed motorists!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

Only those hard pressed motorists who make a conscious decision to break the law would be punished.

Hard pressed motorists who comply with road traffic laws will not be impacted by bus lane cameras.

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

I thought that the chicane in the cycle lane at the Fairview pedestrian bridge was a significant design disaster on the project as there have been numerous crashes there between bicycles, scooters and pedestrians but they have topped it!

Changing the junction at East Wall Road and East Road from a straight and a right turn lane to a single lane that is constantly blocked with vehicles waiting to turn right has been a disaster. The impact has been wide reaching:

- trucks are struggling to turn left from East Road to East Wall road

- Cars and vans moving to the local residential roads to avoid the gridlock.

- Inbound traffic now extends to both Clontarf Road and Howth Road.

- Cars queuing from Clontarf Rd to turn left on to Alfie Byrne Road are queuing in the bus lane back to the Yacht pub in the morning. This blocks 3 bus stops.

- bus routes on both Clontarf Road and Alfie Byrne Road are being delayed.

This will not improve when the construction work is completed.

Cyclists should never have been routed down East Wall Road. West Road should have been changed to a one way street with a cycle path and a new pedestrian and cycle bridge over to Docklands station to connect to the cycle path on Guild street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

- Cars queuing from Clontarf Rd to turn left on to Alfie Byrne Road are queuing in the bus lane back to the Yacht pub in the morning. This blocks 3 bus stops.

- bus routes on both Clontarf Road and Alfie Byrne Road are being delayed.

This will not improve when the construction work is completed.

In fairness, it will definitely ease once people are allowed to drive down North Strand again, at the moment people are diverting down Alfie Byrne Road to avoid the hassle of heading into the C2CC works. Once they finish up, it should ease. It will still be a problem, but not to the same extent.

There's been a ridiculous amount of roadworks in this one area over the past year, all of which is contributing. C2CC, the Greenway works on Alfie Byrne, the new bus stop on Alfie Byrne, the cycle lanes on East Wall Road, an unreal amount.

The Malahide road Core Corridor project will probably be starting soon too, now that it's got planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wow you reckon they'll start on the malahide road soon? Does it not need to go out to tender? Imagine being able to roll all the way from Clare Hall to Connolly Station on separated cycle lanes. The stuff of dreams.

Yes, sorry, "soon" in this case is relative. We've been waiting so long that later this year would be soon for me, and I think that's definitely possible.

Is there any live or recent tracked data on this project? For example, How has the mix of traffic modes on these roads changed over the last two years? How has the average point to point time changed? Have the number of reported accidents in the area reduced?

It seems bizarre to me that there are good aspirations for the initiative that can be tracked with actual data that can be used to improve this design or future designs. It also tells the story of the journey through the old state to the implementation to hopefully the result in the future.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Such data collection and analysis would be relatively pointless while the project is on gonig, you would have to wait until after the project is finished and has time to bed in, ideally a year.

Explain why it would be pointless please? Every change along the way has an impact, it is useful to see the effect of these changes. The data can lead to better delivery of these projects i.e. faster and cheaper. It can highlight flaws in the design quickly so that changes can be made while the builders are still on site, again faster and cheaper.

You would like to think that we would want to do more projects like this in the future and learn from mistakes. While before and after data is great, it misses the detail and the nuances of each change.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Because it is all a building site at the moment. No useful data could be gleaned from that.

Of course lessons can be learned from aspects like project planning, management, traffic management, etc. I'd hope those lessons will be used while building out the BusConnects infrastructure projects.

Just in gym and come out to this mess. Who are these people that think it's a good idea to drive to that car park at the busiest time of the week? So odd to me that you'd sit there blocking a bus and bike lane for 10 minutes queuing instead of parking elsewhere and walking a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It always strikes me as odd that people go to a gym to get fit but are too lazy to walk an extra 50 metres to get there. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What's more shocking is that the owners of those old cars in the picture don't appear to have functional heating fans in the car to demist the windows!

• Advertisement

probably been sat there so long their batteries have died

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

This has been like this for year and years even back when I was a member of Westwood some 20 years ago.

The overflow is usually full at this time too. The Problem is that Westwood is over subscribed and doesn't have the required parking facilities. which is interesting given the price of the monthly subscription.

Even still to this day, it's Ireland ONLY 50m swimming pool (Olympic class). If it were to ever close, there'd be a lot of flack. So Westwood seem to be able to do what they want. (Anyone remember Barcode... and all the messing that went on with it?)

there are a few other 50m now, think UCD has one and the national aquatic centre.

Yes the overflow would probably be full on a Tuesday evening too at that time, I just don't work around this if they're going there at this time. Park elsewhere or don't bring the car. Just a case of collective car brain.

given the amount they charge and the amount of people that cycle there, their bike parking is a joke, mostly just those things you put your wheel into for them to get buckled.

Sorry, that's not true at all. Westwood has never been an Olympic standard pool. There are 3 Olympic pools in Ireland. Limerick being the first one, over 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It was said before that part of the issue with the Westwood car park is parents dropping off/picking up kids. Could it operate as pick up/drop off only at certain times? i.e. a barrier system, take a ticket to get in, if you leave within 15 minutes, you don't pay.

They should be told to remove spaces in order to accommodate the cars queuing on their land. If cars are constantly queuing onto and obstructing public spaces, DCC should take action against them.

You really have to wonder why people are willing to spend so much time in their car in order to go to the gym. This mentality that you have to park as close as possible to the building you are going to really baffles me. People will give up significant amounts of time in order to park closer, it's like they think time stands still when they are in their car; the 1 minute they saved in the shorter walk from the car to the building is a saving but the additional 10 minutes in the car waiting for that space doesn't count as a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Took a stroll through North Strand to Connolly. The outbound works are at various stages of completion, some almost done others a while away.

Interesting to see the level of older pipes, wires and utilities buried at various depths. Another section had exposed huge tree roots and they had dug under them. Hugely complex.

Just a few pics:

There's a bit in Fairview that's almost totally finished, at the Javaholics coffee shop, which is almost totally finished, and it really looks great. From the shop all the way out to the road is done, and around down past the bridge towards the front of the Joeys. Even the planter area along the wall here looks great.

It really looks top class, if the rest of the finish is this good, it'll be one of the best finished places in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm far from a Westwood smypathiser but am a member and have kids in creche so plenty of experience in it. A few things to note...

1. As someone pointed out, the overflow is always full in the evening this time of year, so the the "can't be bothered to walk 50m" comment isn't really relevant
    2. Westwood creche parents do have a pickup, parents are asked to "skip" the queue, essentially drive in the out side of the gate. I've hated this forever, my wife who's a nervous driver hates it to the point she'll park in the dart and hope she doesn't get clamped for 10mns rather than do it. That's what's happening in the photo above. As I said I hate it and WW really need to find a better solution to that.
    3. Westwood have asked the council to make it no right turn outbound into WW. I think this would work better for everyone. Hopefuly council go along with that plan. Same leaving WW should be no right turn to Clontarf. You then have more people using overflow as they know they can't get back to Clontarf easily from the main carpark (granted we already know this is at capacity at peak).
    4. The bike lane should have a yellow box on it to remind drivers they can't stop there. Minor thing but it wrks on roads, might work on cycle paths if samerules apply.
    5. Weekends WW gets worse again, swimming lessons plus birthday parties add to the meyhem.

Yeah, it's not like they are oblivious to all this either, there's just not much that they can do. When they originally went for planning permission here, it was with a much larger car park. DCC are the ones that cut it down to the current size.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure there's already no right turn when leaving Westwood. Nobody obeys the sign though. It's been there for years, but not sure if it's currently in place due to the works.

Advertisement