Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Don't put it on Youtube then, put it on RTÉ player. Thousands of people would watch it, something for the licence payers at modest cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

He was definitely extremely emotional about those tiles cut from the stone from his father's farm all right. That was a great idea and touch by Dermot to get them. I'm sure they were all genuinely cut from stones he brought to Laois but not on the camera like the one he cut. Imagine the controversy if it transpired someone had taken a short cut and put up cheap Chinese stone tiles on the wall instead.

Grand Designs is a different programme all together, the designs there are generally much more adventurous and ambitious. More like the sort of inspiring stuff that made Dermots jaw literally drop open when he went abroad looking at buildings there, for that RTE series a few years ago I cannot remember the name of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes, I think that's a good idea.

Maybe even another spin off show on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Only a fool and their money would go to the farm and gather all the stone needed and just hope it worked out.

What any sensible person would do is create a sample first and then price it accordingly. That is the process we saw, in some detail too.

We actually saw Dermot with one Sligo stone which he brought to Co. Laois , which was sliced and polished. Only a small area of wall was done: Dermot may have had another few stones in the boot of his car or he may have either gone back to Sligo and got a few more, or else got them shipped by alternative means to Co. Laois. It makes no difference. I do not think Dermot would "have been a fool" as you claim to bring 2 or 3 or 4 stones first: it would have been as easy to bring 3 at once as bring one.

The sensible thing to do would have been for Dermot to phone the stone-cutter first and ask was it possible, possibly even get a price ( no doubt the stone-cutter cut stone before ) and then bring the 3 stones or whatever. And get one sliced first for the camera, as we saw.

• Advertisement

??

Do you seriously believe Bannon just rocked up to the stone cutter without a phone call first? Do you have any idea of how these programmes are produced?

Should we show the visually interesting process of slicing a stone to the viewer and create a bit of 'can it be done' and 'emotional connection' drama or show a phone call?

What would the director of a visual and entertainment programme choose to do I wonder?🙄

Thats what I said, he / his team contacted the stone-cutter first. No way would a busy man like Bannon ( even if he was going to or from another site like Cashel, which is likely to have been the case ) and a film crew just rock up at the stone-cutter in Co. Laois. It would have been arranged first. That is how these things work. Read my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I just binge watched the past 3 programmes over the past 2 nights.

I don't get the hate for the nutritionist last night. He has an irregular income from his job and seems to be trying to make a go of it by expanding his social media coverage. Nothing wrong with that, the idea is to drive people to his website and his one-on-one sessions. She seemed to have plenty pf input, put her foot down on the planter and the colours in the kitchen. We didn't see the other places where she did/didn't have input, we have to rely on the editor and they can spin it around whatever way they want. And for all we know, she asked for the playroom and office combo as its easier to keep and eye on the kids.

Overall I liked the revamp, tiles are a nice touch and they got the garden they wanted. I lived around the corner from them for a couple of years and it's a nice spot. They also got the garden they wanted and they have no interest in gardening, so they got a low maintenance version. I don't like it, but they do and that's what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Read this* couple of paragraphs below and time yourself on it. It took me 60-70 seconds, reading at the speed of the narrator on RTI. In a 50 minute programme it wouldn't kill them to devote 90 seconds to this, and would improve the programme no end IMHO. There are thousands of houses like theirs, built in a mini construction boom either side of 1980, many of them ripe for a retro fit.

"John and Mary had a budget of €68,000 to get the house from a draughty D2 to a comfy A2. And while no two houses are exactly alike, this is what suited them;

The house had exterior insulation of 100mm Acme AAA Insulation installed upstairs at the front, the sides and all down the back. The lower part of the front of the building was left as is to maintain the character of the estate. This cost €10,000

Interior insulation on all exterior walls cost €12,000 and consists of Acme BBB 80mm insulation. The ceilings had Acme CCC insulation fitted to a depth of 250mm, costing €8,000. This included a new insulated water tank and cover.

All windows and the front door were replaced by Coyote windows at a cost of €25,000. These are triple glazed, Super-Duper DDD argon gas filled windows with a 30 year guarantee.

The old boiler went out and is replaced by a Coyote Air Source Heat Pump. With a new tank and fittings, this cost €18,000 and ensures year round low cost heating. Other sundries such as plastering and painting cost €5,000, bringing the total cost to €68,000. As €18,000 is available in grants from the SEAI under their 'Naughty but Nice' grant scheme, the total cost for John and Mary was €49,350.

The prognosis is that they will save €2,450 per annum on energy, their bills now being €500 p.a. instead of €3,000 p.a., with a return of approximately 20 years. Dropping the BER from D2 to A2 has also increased the value of their house by approx. €45,000." [ENDS]

*And I just made the figures and the companies up, the pedants can write what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

That would be good. But I guarantee if they did that, these would be the comments on the Monday morning in this thread:

Where did they get the Acme insulation, who is the supplier? What fittings did they use on the heat pump? There was no need to paint, Bannon again. What electricity tariff are they on that they can save X amount per year? Who did the BER cert for them? How did they get a BER assessment so quickly? They never give enough detail in these shows.

An analysis of a lot of the criticism of this programme would show that most of it is based in dislike of Bannon or jealousy/begrudgery of the home builders or general ranting about anything RTE does.

So I think you are right, no matter what was presented, there would be criticism found.

It's far from a perfect programme but much of the criticism is overblown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Not sure if the surprise at the different ceiling heights was for the camera, or a genuine moment when he realised the heights were different and needed a different metalwork solution. If he'd been the one doing all the measurements and drawings, surely that would have been obvious before the discovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

All of the suppliers are already on the Room to Improve website.

Correct, I agree. Does not even need to be as detailed as that, even half the info you say there would be interesting for a lot of people.

He seemed genuinely surprised at the different ceiling heights. He is only human I suppose. I was surprised he missed the different ceiling heights before that but i am sure he would have had someone else survey the existing house / do the drawings anyway.

Quite common.

We had all our meetings/consultations with the architect but the drawings for planning were signed by a staff member - the draughtsperson.

A trainee obviously;

But the buck stops with Bannon Architects.

Absolutely. Did anyone suggest different? Bannon's involvement in the design and build cannot be assessed by who submitted the planning application or who did the drafting was the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Maybe, but not many people want to watch a program about Anto and Joan with 5k to just repaint the living room and put down a new floor and a few shelves.

The nature of the program is about deep retrofitting, upgrades and renovations. You are not going to to any of that with less than €100k

Also, it's clear that many people CAN afford a 500k mortgage, just because you can't, doesn't mean others can not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Been a long-time watcher of this thread, but to me anyway, many comments are born out of pure jealousy, envy and downright begrudgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Rathkenny

It seems that that what appears to be the top row in your picture is actually the steel beam. The fact it's slightly misaligned would annoy me too though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Strangely that bit wouldn't bother me so much, it's the bit circled in the image below that'd irk me:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Niall_76

It didn’t bother me until you put up that picture the other day but once I saw it…I couldn’t look at that either 🙂

Its the 3 switches on the wall to the left of that not being level / spaced properly I would find annoying if I had to look at it every day. If they were a cm or two different fine : but when they are a few mm out it looks as if they half tried but failed. Those tiles you find annonying would not bother me that much, but its a great world we are all different. Either would probably would not bother other people in fairness, maybe sometimes we expect too much of the tilers and sparkies...or maybe not. You'd think that when they knew it would be on tv though, they would take extra care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Rathkenny

Ah yes! Now that you've pointed it out I can't unsee it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭20/20

You say If they were a cm or two different fine : but when they are a few mm out it looks as if they half tried but failed.

Do you realise one cm is ten mm.

Yes, I realise that. It is like when Bannon some years ago was doing the windows on the elevation of a renovation or extension once : the builder put the upstairs and downstairs edges slightly out of line and it looked worse than if they were a lot more out of line. Bannon rightly insisted it be changed then / the window position changed. Remember that? Having a window or something slightly out of line looks worse than if a window or switch looks as if it was deliberately sited somewhere.

You cannot un-see something just slightly off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The level of actual payouts to the vacant homes grant is shocking, Room To Improve seems to have the astronomical odds in somehow getting approval, 1 in 50 in the real world getting actual payment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Deeec

That was my issue with the Cashel episode. Fair play to the couple for getting the grants and I dont think it should be taken off them - but why are so many other people being refused the grants for houses that are both derelict and vacant. The issue needs to be raised in the Dail.

Advertisement