Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Let me apologise for dragging the thread off topic. Metrolink please from now on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we keep this thread on track! You know, the one that goes from Swords to Charlemont and back again.

The oil industry is not on that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I have a question that does not pertain to anything previously but I'm just curious about. Why are the proposed stations fitted with glazed screens on the platform itself? I have seen this in other countries (primarily airport stops), but what's the purpose? Solely health and safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Platform screen doors. Most modern built stations/metro systems get them and they have even started putting them on older stations too. Yes, they are mostly for saftey.

Helps stop people falling on the tracks and can also help if a fire breaks out in a tunnel, it stops a train from driving the fire into the stations, there has been some awful tragedies in the past due to this.

Metrolink is going to be a fully automated, driverless system, so if they have screen doors, they don't have to worry about looking out for people falling on the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Makes sense. Would this be a European minimum safety standard or an "optional" extra? Curious as to whether this is something that might be value engineered out of the project in the future when they inevitably try and trim costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It basically can't be, due to being driverless.

And going to driven would increase costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

London DLR has no platform doors, but that's the only automated metro I can think of that doesn't. DLR is almost entirely overground, so maybe that's a reason.

Hong Kong MTR is human-driven, and it uses platform doors (was the first place I ever saw them).

Metrolink is actually very cost efficient as it is: the design priotisises low construction costs. The problem is that delays in planning have allowed construction inflation, which affects everything, to make oit more expensive to build even before we start to build it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭gjim

Practically speaking, they cannot - it's an integral part of the whole design which is a generation ahead of what MN was going to be.

A huge cost of building metro systems is the underground stations because of their size. With a 3min headway between trains - the minimum with line-of-sight/driver systems - older systems need to have long (90m+) platforms to provide capacity. Long platform stations are expensive because you're often forced to mine them out as locations where cheap and easy cut n' cover are far more limited given their bigger footprint.

The modern approach to metro design - ML is an example - cuts significant cost by making stations simpler - shallow, cut n' cover and relatively small with shorter 60m platforms. But this change of approach means shorter trains, which on older systems would mean lower capacity. So to maintain capacity, the frequency is raised and the only way to safely/reliably do this - i.e. get to a 90second headway - it is with driverless trains and platform screen doors.

This is also a big boost for passengers as it means half the average time waiting for the next train.

So if they dropped the platform screen doors, then they'd have to abandon the idea of driverless which would mean re-designing stations to have longer platforms, etc. etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There are a few Tube stations with central platforms and no screen doors that frankly feel incredibly unpleasant and unsafe (thinking some of the ones around Clapham on the Northern Line). I can't imagine why you'd design a new metro without them.

• Advertisement

DLR has the controller/service agent on-board too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Despite warnings the off-topic posts would be deleted, they continue to appear, with replies continuing to pollute this thread.

Well, the red crayon is out. Off-topic threads deleted. If you want your posts to be read, post them in the correct thread.

11 posts deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And this staff member actually controls the opening and closing the doors and making sure people are clear of the platform, it is their main job and the reason they are on the train. Metrolink won't have any regular staff on board like this (obviously security/ticket checkers from time to time), thus the platform doors.

As an interesting aside, the DLR has had two crashes, both times a staff member was manually controlling the train.

BTW Some of the newer London Underground stations on the newer lines like Jubilee and the new Elizabeth line have platform screen doors, despite having a driver. Interestingly the stated reason in London isn't passenger safety, though it is a nice side benefit, the reason they installed them was to stop dirt and rubbish from the platforms from getting on the line! It turns out with these in place, they don't have to clean the lines nearly as often, which improves reliability and reduces staff costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Are you sure there won't be staff on board? I find this hard to believe from even a safety point of view. Is there any automated service in Europe which doesn't even have a nominal "customer service" person on board, who could take control of the carriage if necessary.

Loads of them. Copenhagen, which we're cribbing some of the design/operations concepts from, has no staff on board for instance.

Very few automated systems have any method for a human onboard to take control, the DLR is an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I usually check once a decade or so to see if the Dublin Metro has started being built.

I'll check again in 2034.

Yes, it will be a fully automated system, no staff on board, there are many such systems, Copenhagen is the most obvious one, which Metrolink is modelled after. They are all over France, Germany, etc. They have been operating for years now.

It is called GoA4, Grade of Automation 4, there is a list of them here:

one of the main points of these types of systems is to greatly reduce staffing needs. There would be no point taking the driver out, only to replace them with a service agent! Specially when public transport is struggling with staffing issues. A major advantage of this system is how few staff it needs.

BTW most of the Metro stations in Copenhagen are also unstaffed. Also there is no drivers cab up front, passengers can literally sit where a driver would and get a great view.

BBTW The funny thing is, if you have been to Heathrow airport and transferred between terminals, then you have been on one without probably even realising it.

Do you think the Metro could run at a profit here since it has so few staff?

A basic operational profit - maybe. But our public transport fares are quite low and its unlikely we're going to do the Australian/French/Spanish/Actually nearly everywhere else thing of shoving a surcharge on the airport stop either; so its not guaranteed.

It would never return enough to pay back commercial bonds to pay for its construction; but that isn't the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I like on the Copenhagen metro, the seats at the front have a sticker with a fake set of controls so you can pretend you're driving the train.

VROOOOOMmmmm

• Advertisement

Luas usually operates at a profit, so I don't see why not.

Having said that, operating cost wouldn't necessarily be the mean goal. As mentioned above, it is integral to the design (high frequency) and keeping the construction cost low. The point with staff, is more just how hard it is find staff and this helps with that.

Also it allows you to run at a higher off peak and weekend frequency then you might otherwise be able to afford with a staffed system and possibility of all night running too (Copenhagen has that).

Yeah I'd be surprised if it becomes a 24 hour service but we'll have to see I guess.

We've 24 hour buses so it's possible.

It might go 24 hour at the weekends maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The whole project may well be entirely between your 10 yrar checks on this ocassion

With it serving the airport and the nature of the very early flights that leave the airport and as a result the staff who need to get there even earlier, I'd hope it would.

I doubt it very much. Its vaporware. But when I check back in 10 years either you or I can say I told you so. Based on the length of time so far my money is on me :) But we can live it hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Encouraging words here from the minister for transport... 🤣

Save that one to post here again in a decade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Unfortunately his and everyone else's crystal ball failed to spot the worst economic crash in any of our lifetimes was just around the corner.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Can we leave the negativity out. This thread is for the people who are actually interested in following the development of this project.

Advertisement