Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I hate the phase boomer shooter. Fps shooters are way after the baby boom generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Reminds me of that awful YouTube gamer channel

MetalJesusRocks

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I found the Dead Space remake fairly dull. It's not in any way scary. I played without much enthusiasm until I got to a difficulty spike on a boss that I didn't have the interest in grinding at to beat so gave up. Played the RE4 remake shortly and while I found some of the bosses to be complete nightmares to beat, I never once wanted to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Luna84

I don't remember it being difficult unless they changed it in the remaster. Though every so often throughout the game you get used to each alien and how to kill them and they throw in a new harder alien. And that happens throughout the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The last of us 2 remastered is incredible especially if you have a 120hz TV with VRR support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Looked it up and it's the creature called the Leviathan. I doubt it's that hard but I just didn't care enough to push through with it. I had played and completed the original game but the remake just didn't do anything for me. I found myself feeling bored playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭jj880

Im reading 4k 40fps without VRR. 4k 75-100fps with VRR. Damn. Must get the old TLOU2 disc out and try for an upgrade.

I thought the 4k mode with VRR was less then 75fps. I thinks that's the performance mode but regardless it looks incredible.

The beauty of the unlocked frame rate is it will run even faster on a ps5 Pro and will be 4k 120fps on a ps6. So this remaster is future compatible. Hopefully this type of remaster becomes a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

I played the trial on PS5 recently and now immediately it was a game I would love, especially as I think after the tutorial you can then use keyboard and mouse.

Unfortunately the tutorial was very bugged and it turned me off a full purchase, but would appreciate your feedback when you get a chance to play it and I'll give it another look when on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not really compelled to go near the Dead Space remake. I enjoyed the first game but it was a poor mans Resi 4 and I kind of stand by that the Eurogamer 7/10 review was spot on. Kind of baffled that it's held up as such a classic when what I played was perfectly cromulent. Does the Remake substantially change the game up like the Resi remakes or can I safely ignore it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's basically the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭McFly85

Played the original about 2 years ago. The gimmick of picking limbs off enemies is definitely fun, but it sort of doesn’t progress from that at all, and it’s a very short game that was wearing its welcome out at the 10 hours it took to finish.

I have Dead Space 2 in the backlog which I believe is supposed to be the best in the series so I might save that for Halloween this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I kind of found as well after the first boss fight the game had introduced everything and got very rote to the end.

I must try dead space 2 again. I heard it's fun despite becoming more action orientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I kind of found as well after the first boss fight the game had introduced everything

That's not true(I haven't played the remaster though) the game introduces new aliens throughout the game. You get used to one and how to kill them and you are on a streak thinking this is easy and a new more difficult one appears and that happens throughout the game well apart from near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think Dead Space remake fixed some annoying sections to be less annoying but ultimately it's a rebuild of the original with modern tech.

If you have 3D audio headphones a OLED TV and a dark room it's stunning. Some of the best sparks I've seen.

Whether true or not I felt I'd seen everything by that point and the rest of the game didn't change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I'd have to agree. I never played the original games but I played the remake, and it was a great game. But it also started to drag in the latter half and the novelty of shooting limbs rather than heads didn't really change much. There were some great set-pieces, but by the last few chapters I just kind of wanted it to end.

12 hours to complete Dead Space main game. Sounds good. I've been there, done that and bought the t shirt for huge time sinks. I'm looking at Witcher 3 with the DLC, and the shiny current gen upgrade and I'm thinking that can stay on the backlog or even go into deep storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭McFly85

Nearing the end of PoP so I’ve decided now’s the time to start scouring the map to try and get everything. I haven’t seen if the game tells you how much of the map you’ve covered as a percentage, does it exist? Or is it just done by secrets uncovered by area?

And the backtracking is starting to get a bit much. Even a small change that would allow you to warp to a fast travel point from anywhere would make things a lot easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I had the same issues/complaints. There's no real way of showing how much of the map you've uncovered other than buying the maps off the girl and seeing the spots that are kind of dulled out. Even then unless you've been tagging all the chests or areas you couldn't get into (even if you've been there on the map), you'll have no way of tracking if you missed something in an area you've already been. I spent a while both before and after the final boss fight trying to clean everything up just by going through the map to find the final few upgrade items like the health petals and the ore for upgrading weapons. In the end though I resorted to following an online guide showing there all those items were, marking ones I wasn't sure if I got them or not on the map, then just focusing on revisiting those. Sure enough there could be a door or a grate that I could now get through that I couldn't before.

Cleaned up all the remaining bits and pieces and got the platinum.

I definitely think some kind of option or even a consumable to return to your last-visited fast travel point (or indeed, just have a few more fast travel points) would have been great, because a lot of the time you're having to do a lot of long platforming sections to get to the thing you want, then either have to go backwards through it or further onto the next one through even more platforming. Just felt like artificial padding to draw out the length of the game. It's still enjoyable, and can be easier due to upgraded/newer powers, but can become exhausting after a while.

I'm looking at Witcher 3 with the DLC

Great game but it took me a while to get into it but once you do it's brilliant. I hope you have a lot of free time as there are over 100 hours of game play there and even more if you want to completely clean the map of markers.

Oh I don't have the time. I'd love to. Definitely will get to it though. It's the sort of game you need to go deep into to, to get the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finished PoP myself, trying to convince myself to use interactive maps to find the final 10 feckong things I need. Games like this should have a reveal all option, or a treasure map you can buy so you can easily clean up. I'm even using that amulet that detects treasure, but it did a terrible job of finding the last 4 in the Upper City...

However, if that/plat doesn't interest you,it's a great game. Platforming is solid, movement is fluid enough, animations from a distance are great, and the close up powers are thoroughly enjoyable, like Street Fighter special moves.

It also has one of the coolest looking levels/areas I've seen in a while, the sea area. Full of amazing details, and a pleasure to journey through because of it. I don't want to spoil it for anyone because I had no idea it existed until I saw it and I was dumbstruck by it. Maybe that's just me though...

Story could have been better, but its more than enough to keep you going. But it has that feeling of small changes making massive differences with regards to the powers. And you can see the cut corners, such as the lip sync being either off, not actually coded right, or it's english dubbed (Ubi are French, non?).

Highly recommend it, even though going for these last few trophies may kill me...

Also started up Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen. Didn't have memories of trying it, and I've about 6 hours put in now and I remember why I stopped the first time: the Pawns. Good idea, and they are useful, but for offline it's annoying that only 1 will level up with you. Means having to change your pawns every few levels because they become useless. It's starting to annoy me again, so I'll probably stop again and hope DD2 is better. The constant stopping/changing is annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭jj880

Some great settings info here to improve visuals and gameplay further. At 3:50 he shows the 4k vrr performance mode with unlocked frame rate. Running at around 90 fps.

Thanks! This is the only game I feel I need to take a break every hour it's that intense.

Man the Palworld discourse is annoying me so much. There's a lot of people who think they know game development holding the dev team up as some sort of messiahs.

They're too thick to realise that CEO saying the budget was $10,000 is nonsense as that's not even two months salary for one game developer. Then there's how nobody knew the engine when they started that game. They did the absolute bare minimum on the very user friendly and easy to learn unreal 5 engine. And they aren't even doing anything special with it, just using the fortnite example code that comes with the engine.

I hope this ends before I'm forced to comment on those twitter posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Messiahs for doing what exactly? It looks like such a sloppy piece of shít

• Advertisement

Honestly nobody hates Pokemon more than old Pokemon fans and I think these are the people playing and talking about it. These are the people that grew up with Pokemon since they were 8 and now that they are in their 30s or later they are made that their favourite franchise made to appeal to children doesn't appeal to them anymore. So pokemon with guns with all the survival and crafting mechanics they enjoy is perfect for them and they don't realise Pokemon is still going to sell to children rather than this sloppy game.

Advertisement