Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday with Ryan Tubridy on Q102/96FM/LMFM/Live95

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

It does seem weird to shoot themselves in the foot by replacing a very popular programme with some cobbled together syndicated pre record from at best a divisive marmite presenter.

other stations will benefit from their stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Never heard of this Derry fella. Seems he plays old Brendan Shine tunes and reads out 60th wedding anniversary congratulations messages. I’m sure there is an audience for that, even if more of the listenership is popping off this mortal coil.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Radiomeister

Wrong again Mr.Dugnutt.The artist mentioned has never been played.His programme has always been in the top 3 shows (Ipsos/MRBI),whereas Mr.Tubridy has never been higher than no.19.Your ignorance is breath- taking.

Audience is multi generational,hence advertiser's dream,wrong again.

Less of the personals please. Ok, so he played Golden Oldies. Has he now been replaced by Tubs syndicated show?

• Advertisement

No,you stated something that was untrue,Brendan Shine has never been played * certainly not for 20 plus years.Therefore,you are obviously making unsubstantiated statements.And,when it has been pointed out to you that you are factually incorrect,you continue as if nothing untoward was said.How can anyone take anything you say seriously? It is a fair question.And,surely if one is ignorant of the facts,that should be made clear.

As to your question,no,the programme,( along with sponsorship, promotions premium advertising) has had its on-air time reduced to 2 hours,from 4.

Seems this Derry dude was sidelined by the management. I’m not from Cork so never listened to the show or even heard of him. Presumed he was playing Big Tom and the like as opposed to Ronan Collins type stuff.

How do you know his playlist over 20 years?

No,it's very different to what you might get on ' rural based ' radio,if such exists.There are two shows on in the county at the same time as it,for example ( separate studios,presenters) and they together don't have anything like the listenership. Think of a real ' classic hits radio that includes 60s,70's ,one hit-wonders etc.But it's not really about the music,it's a really different vibe.Go on to 96fm Facebook for last Sunday and look at the reaction to tubs,83 comments,82 in favour of bringing back Derry and one abstention.

• Advertisement

I'm linked in several ways,both to 96 and red,I would also have links to their commercial departments and be privy to some of the goings on in both.I would prefer not to go into detail but I can stand over each statement.

I also have several good friends in both stations and further afield.

Not sure Facebook comments are a great indicator of anything. It’s a site used almost exclusively by boomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Best case scenario for Tubs would be a few boomers tuning in, posting waffle on Instagram won't bring him a younger audience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

If that was the audience the Derry fellow appealed to then surely Tubs, with his JFK and Paul McCartney obsessions, would be a like for like replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

That show has got extremely healthy listenership figures. Why does there seem to be a problem with 96FM prioritising the local show in terms of offsetting the broadcast time of Tubridys syndicated program? Weekend pre recorded syndicated radio whether it is sourced from the UK, US or wherever should not encroach upon the airing, program length or broadcast time of local programming, particularly when the local program has a proven track record of attracting listeners within the very lucrative revenue generating 45+ age group.

Post edited by alzer100 on

Exactly. Bung Tubridy on at 6 am or something like that and keep it local in prime time

• Registered Users Posts: 20 john457

There are 3 options for 96FM.

1 Return to previous schedule, but put Tubridy on 1pm to 3 and take one hour off Oldies and Irish and one hour off the Score with Trevor Welsh.

2 Since the Arts House is shared on both 96Fm and C103 , just put him 8 to 10 on C103 and run the arts house on 96FM alone.

Either way it’s a mess.

3.Saturday morning at 10 might be the only solution.

There is a very loyal listenership to Totally 80’s from 6 am to 8 am, one of the only live shows on the radio at that time and the 80’s Club would then be up in arms if Tubridy got that !

As you pointed out what about Saturday morning 10am?

Would that cause a problem?

Forgive me I don't listen.

• Advertisement

You have 8 hours of regular programming between 10am an 6pm.

What about reducing Wayne Hilton and Darren and Demi's slots by 1 hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

put tubs on at midnight ?

One hour off Wayne and one hour off Darren and Demi may indeed be the only solution.

Virgin own the stations and will have the syndicated Tubridy show on all their stations at the same time. The decision has been made. It’s time to build a bridge and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It is actually the Wireless Group that own Virgin UK Radio and Wireless Radio Ireland, the latter of which own these Irish stations.

I definitely bow to your far greater, some would say encyclopaedic, knowledge of these matters, Declan. Thanks for clarifying

If Ryan Tubridy is the brand that RTE believed and for the moment let's just say Wireless seem to also believe he is, then they should have no problem airing Ryan Tubridy's syndicated show during different regular programming slots* across all of the affiliates, confident that his brand has the pulling power to immediately establish and grow an audience.

It does not inspire confidence on their part when they specifically insert his pre-recorded program into slots and times in which a healthy listenership audience figure has already been established by his colleagues such as Derry O'Callaghan et al.

*Regular programming, slots that contain the regular playlist and presentation for which the station is formatted. For example (and specifically in this case) regular Saturday mid-morning/afternoon slots.

Post edited by alzer100 on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I presume that Derry got a big audience by following on whatever programme was on before him. That is supposedly how Tubridy got big figures, by following Morning Ireland. Unless the Cork audience is more discerning and knows how to choose what they want to listen to. But doubt was cast on their intelligence earlier in the thread, suggesting that they couldn't work out that Tubridy wasn't coming live to them on Sundays.

Then again all this JNLR stuff might just be made up, as is often claimed on the forum.

• Advertisement

I’m sure a 2 hours arts programme didn’t deliver a massive lead in and he built most of his audience by giving people what they wanted because he knows his audience.

i bet the people of Cork love being told by some Dub to suck it up and build a bridge whatever that means. Sounds like something out of a PR firm 🙄

Advertisement