Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

Would people recommend going for a new dish instead of the refub option?

It will probably be 2027 before Fibre gets to me - so I would like the dish to hold up until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Got a refurb in December and couldnt tell any difference from a new one a friend got recently

I see they offer the same warranty on a refurb as a new dish - so that eases the mind a little.

The 200+ price difference is huge considering I'm probably going to have to pay someone to install it.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I have a Gen 1 dish for sale if it's of any use to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Anyone know when starlink Gen 3 is being released in Ireland? I am looking to get starlink but want to wait for the new release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I know someone who just but it on a patio table in the middle of his garden and tied it down to the table with clothes line. It never moved since and thats about 2 years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why? I'd take the Gen one over Gen 2 as I know it works fine and no messing with ethernet adaptors. To my mind Gen one is also a better shape for exposed windy locations. One near hear hasn't moved in face of the recent storms - I know it will auto align but I mean blown off the mounting.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Neighbors is on a flat roof and just bolted to a large paving stone.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'm in Kilkenny, but have the original shipping box, etc so can deliver. It's the only ad on Adverts for a Starlink dish, there is pictures over there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Mine is on a flat roof with two 9 inch solid blocks lying across the "feet" of mount. Hasn't budged in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I've mine on a flat roof with a 5kg plate tied to it.. Hasn't moved in any storm since Sept 2022.

The €50 a month makes it great value since we were paying around €90 a month when we first got it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Detective Popcorn

So finally getting around to installing this. Have bought a house but it's only closing this week, the sellers have been kind enough to start letting me get set up a bit early, but I didn't want to go drilling holes in the walls until I legally owned the place lol.

I found a good south-facing spot for it on a corner wall, luckily with an entry point already there for a sky-dish/christmas lights. It'll need to be bored a bit thicker but handy enough. The aul' fella is more than qualified to install it but I need to get him the right bracket/poles/adapters etc.. Since he's not overly familiar with SL - Could anyone point me in the direction of where to get a bracket/joints/poles etc if I need about a foot horizontal clearance out from the wall and a pole for about 2-3 foot vertical clearance?

Another thing I'm mainly puzzled about is actually marrying the dish to a pole, do I need a specialized adapter or clamp?

Thanks!

Post edited by Detective Popcorn on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

if you look in the starlink shop - you need to login to your account - it has options for mounts - i ordered the long arm mount for them - im not sure it will give you the vertical clearance you need though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I had to clear about 1 foot out from wall and also about 2-3 foot vertically. Here is what I bought from freetv.ie:

• H Galvanised Wall Bracket x1. I cant remember if I got 18' or 24', but I think it was 24
    • Black Twin Mini Shotgun Cable Clips (100s)
    • Galvanised Aerial Mast (180cm x 32mm) x1
    • M8 x 80mm Screw, Plug & Washer (1s) x6
    • Shelley 8 Nut Pole Clamp x1
    • U Bolt (37mm) x2

The shelly clamp is what fixes the dish to the pole. Mine's been up since August and had no issues in Orange warning wind in exposed enough location on South Coast. The install aint the prettiest but I needed the clearance, so couldn't be avoid. I can take a pic tomorrow if you want. I'll be moving to a new build in August, so hoping for much smaller/neater install.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Another brother of mine has placed his order this evening, refurb kit + ethernet adapter. The new €50 monthly sub is very attractive.

Edit: Shipped via DHL Tuesday afternoon.

Post edited by The Cush on

It's a great price here. 120 dollars a month in the US.. you would wonder what the pricing strategy is

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I had a software update automatically come through to me in the last few days (61061224-2d00-4481-81bd-4906e1f88629) and the orientation of my dish has changed from being almost due south, to south / south west i.e. pointed more towards the west coast (I'm in Mayo). I think that the graphic showing obstructions has also changed (picture below), where the coverage doesn't look as "complete" as it was previously.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Neighbors has pointed slightly north since it was installed - 100% coverage no obstacles. Strange as its down in Waterford.

Edit> Just drove past the dishy I was referring to and last week it was pointing north as it has been for over a year(?) and for the first time ever its moved and is pointing south. Must check with them if its working just the same.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Thinking of switching to Starlink, i live in Waterford. What speeds can I expect and who is a local installer. Is it consistent ? Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

I have it since May '23 - typically get 200Mbps+ on download and around 15Mbps on upload, so no issues with consistency.

Maybe because I'm on the Mark-1 Dishy, my software version is completely different to yours (I mean no part of it matches yours at all). It's orientation doesn't appear to have changed since ever, but the Obstructions view does seem more "granular". I don't think I have ever seen those little square gaps before, but the general shape of the "clear view" has not changed much for me. I'm based in mid-Tipperary, east of Limerick City.

I've been using it for just on 2 years now. As the other poster mentioned, it's generally over 200+Mbps down, 10-15Mbps up and very consistent at that. Sure, there are occasional drops to between 100-200Mbps, but I've never even noticed these. I only pick them up when I randomly run a speed test.

Starlink is certainly nothing like you would get from a Mobile broadband solution or Imagine, which struggle badly at peak times.

You have to buy the kit (new or refurbished) from Starlink themselves, or it may be possible to pick up a second-hand unit on Adverts.ie. If you're handy, you could self install and I mean by handy "can you drill a hole in your wall?". That was all I had to do.

I placed Dishy on the free-standing mount it came with onto a flat roof, put two 9 inch blocks on it's legs to stop it moving and ran the cable into my office through the hole in the wall.

If you're not comfortable with the installing, any satellite/TV type installer would do the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Thanks for the feeback lads, does location effect preformance? My house is located in a dip but I have no obstructions around me.

Technically I think you need 50 degrees east west from vertical and somewhat less north south around dishy. What I do is stand near dishy and hold my arms up out at about 45 degrees and if I can't seen any obstruction in the direction of my arms when I turn around then I think its probably going to be fine. Obviously the software app tells the full story.

If you install the app on your smartphone and get close to where you will install Dishy (I lay down on the flat roof), the "Obstructions->Check for Obstructions" feature will tell you if it can see enough of the sky.

Yet another starling software update which I spotted yesterday and let install automatically overnight (e63cf724-6cdf-4b64-a6d0-e4a8a83bc757) no idea what these do, but speeds are still very good via my Deco mesh.

As someone else mentioned my starlink seems to have re oriented due south in the last few weeks.. it was more south east before that..doesn't seem to have had any impact on performance..

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

Tech question. Does anyone know if you can remotely pause/switch off the router/signal or is it a case of contacting them directly? Have an issue with a tenant(I'm the account holder though).

TIA

• Advertisement

Do you have login to the app? You can possibly do from there

Advertisement